Why no portable/transportable tube amps??
Nov 22, 2006 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
Just kinda curious. Is it strictly because of power consumption? Heat? I see there's a Headroom amp that takes four D batteries, does a tube amp draw more power than 4 D batteries can put out with any amount of decent life? I figure some boomboxes can survive fairly long on C or D batteries, why not an amp?

I know it kinda defeats the purpose of it being a "portable" set-up, but judging by the "pictures of your rig" thread, some don't see too concerned with lugging stuff around, so long as it isn't the size of a VCR.
icon10.gif

Nov 22, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 71
I think tubes like OP amps will function at a variety of different voltages. Of course sonic performance and stability will vary greatly depending on the circuit and tubes used. I'm guessing that current draw, circuit efficiency and run time is the biggest reason... being that tubes waste a lot of "juice" as dissipated heat.

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 71
Milhail (singlepower)had a prototype one at the national meet ,but never displayed it.
I didn't get a chance to listen to it,but it looked pretty cool.

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 71
There used to be a prototype portable tube amp a while back but it disappeared as mysteriously as it was discovered. But realistically, I think the heat would be too much to bear in a pocket. The earmax is the closest thing I would consider "portable".

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 71
1. battery time

tubes draw alot of current, its nearly im-possible to get any reasonable amount of battery time, unless you use something like a sealed-lead-acid battery (heavy as hell)

2. heat

tubes are hot, especially good sounding tubes, you dont want that anywhere you're carrying

3. microphonics

tubes respond to physical shaking .etc so you'd get some pretty awful sound if its trans-portable and you're listening in a place with vibrations

I'd love to try and make one with nuvistors (they're small, metal enclosed tubes that act like their bigger brothers, but with less draw) but I havent gotten around ot it.. I tried to make a portable small tube amp, but the current draw was too much.

Nov 22, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 71
Not so guys. A tube portable is very possible. Heat an issue .... nope. Battery life an issue .... nope. Microphonics an issue .... nope. Great sound quality with plenty of power .... definitely.
cool.gif

Edit: Nuvistors are microphonic.

Nov 22, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 71
I think I rember seeing that a SHOA could be run off a batt... was I wronge? I know its a hybrid but if its possible I would really like to look into doing that.

-greg

Nov 22, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not so guys. A tube portable is very possible. Heat an issue .... nope. Battery life an issue .... nope. Microphonics an issue .... nope. Great sound quality with plenty of power .... definitely.
cool.gif

Edit: Nuvistors are microphonic.

Interesting response........ Ssupp?

Nov 22, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 71
Most tubes aren't that suitable, but there are exceptions. The 6N30P for example is small, robust, doesn't draw too much power, sounds good, and doesn't put out uncontrollable levels of heat.

Nov 23, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #13 of 71
Well I think that its possible to make a portable tube amp but rather we'd probably need to have a restriction to not have it be used while walking or while in motion. I'd certainly be willing to take this sort of sacrifice if I could have "that tube sound" on a long train ride.

Nov 23, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #14 of 71
Nuvistors are metal tubes and I have never heard a good metal tube. Some of the mini pencil tubes are workable. The 6111 6112 might be good. They are dual triodes. It depends upon how you drive them but I don't think heat will be an issue and micorphonics is tube dependent and not a real issue. If I were back in the states I would make one. Besides nuvistors do not have the romantic appeal of a glowing tube. If I do make one it would in some way show the tubes. I will have to look at the current draw of various tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back