Why no portable/transportable tube amps??
Nov 23, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #46 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would one know if it would fit in their car? I drive a Hyundai Sonata 2002 model. Could it work?

I have been focusing more on a portable tube amp. But I know that Singlepower has a prototype tube transportable thats been done since June. I have been trying to talk him in to letting me try the amp out .... without success.
frown.gif
He doesnt like the chassis.

This amp uses 6922 x2 or 4 and ran off a 12 volt power supply. You can run the amp off your cars power outlet with the correct plug. This amp wasnt going to be expensive. The amp was going to retail for around $500 .... if I remember correctly.

Maybe I can take one for the team and convince him to let me give this transportable amp a run through.
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #47 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been focusing more on a portable tube amp. But I know that Singlepower has a prototype tube transportable thats been done since June. I have been trying to talk him in to letting me try the amp out .... without success.
frown.gif

This amp uses 6922 x2 or 4 and ran off a 12 volt power supply. You can run the amp off your cars power outlet with the correct plug. This amp wasnt going to be expensive. The amp was going to retail for around $500 .... if I remember correctly.

Maybe I can take one for the team and convince him to let me give this transportable amp a run through.
biggrin.gif

Mikhail will wait until he has it perfected. It is good that we all benefit from his fussiness.

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #48 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

biggrin.gif

He must work 18 hours a day to make all those great tube amps and do the r and d for something like a tube (transportable) amp and make the tube adapters I know he has a solidstate amp prototype I have heard it
biggrin.gif
where does he get the time?

Nov 23, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #49 of 71
Iv heard a few of the car tube headunits. They use it as a pre amp site, the ones I have heard, and are pretty nice. Bot not worth the extra money to me, I started in car audio, but the enviroment in a car is so hard to deal with that I didnt find it worth it to look for true hi-fi.

Nov 23, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #50 of 71
That Panasonic head would turn every car in NYC into a BMW (Break My Windows)
plainface.gif

Without vibration control, even in the preamp section, bumpy roads must be hard on the tube. It's a nice add-on that it's modern enough to accept .mp3 CD's.

On another note, in order to make tubes tiny enough to be internal and usable on a portable amp, I wonder if the signature that tubes have over SS would be worth it.
People have said in this thread that cetain configurations would yield a battery life of 4-5 hours, but other portable amps (Hearoom MicroAmp with Desktop Module and the Stax SM-001 MkII for example, and even an IPOD after 200 charges)) also offer a life of only 4-5 hours. So for people who accept that, I guess it wouldn't be a showstopper.

What would be really cool, is if a couple of our master DIY-ers were able to get together and create a tubed portable using a Head-Fi branded name and sell it for a 100% profit (including parts, labor, and R&D) and donate 25% of the profit to Head-Fi. That would probably be a benefit to all involved (builders, buyers and Head-Fi). Hmmmm...

Nov 23, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #51 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The earmax is the closest thing I would consider "portable".

The Moretto Hap 03 is about the same size but it gets really hot and like the Earmax runs on AC. It's powerful enough to run a pair of HD-6XX's quite nicely.

headphoneamp.jpg

Nov 23, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #52 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would one know if it would fit in their car? I drive a Hyundai Sonata 2002 model. Could it work?

Jason, it doesn't say what the dimensions are, but most later model cars are coming with the double wide bays (my last 3 company cars had them, and I had to get a kit which allowed a classic size head to fit which adds a storage shelf for CD's to make up for the space).
Crutchfield catalogs are an excellent resource for radio template dimensions...if you don't have one, I can look yours up.

Here's the link:

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Pa..._Receiver.html

Nov 23, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #53 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jason, it doesn't say what the dimensions are, but most later model cars are coming with the double wide bays (my last 3 company cars had them, and I had to get a kit which allowed a classic size head to fit which adds a storage shelf for CD's to make up for the space).
Crutchfield catalogs are an excellent resource for radio template dimensions...if you don't have one, I can look yours up.

Here's the link:

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Pa..._Receiver.html

Thanks so much for that link Aaron! I'll look through it right now. I won't be outfitting my car with any fancy speakes but that head would look gorgeous and I think I could get away with it since this is my first car really (by that I mean I could convince my wife
biggrin.gif
)

Nov 23, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #54 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Milhail (singlepower) had a prototype one at the national meet ,but never displayed it.
I didn't get a chance to listen to it,but it looked pretty cool.

Yeah, that was a cool looking piece of kit.
cool.gif

I think that Peter McAlister is working on one as a special order for a client as well.

Nov 23, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #55 of 71
Quote:

Being in a car can be defined as portable (on the go), no
biggrin.gif
?

f_panasonic_cqtx5500d.jpg

This is funny - I saw this on Audiocubes yesterday and was going to ask how a tube would hold up in a car.

My presumption is that it's likely best mated with an ultra-smooth luxury vehicle, like a Bentley or Rolls, since typical road use on anything but the softest suspension system would likely kill that beast in no time.

Just the same, for a grand, I've never seen such a cool piece of car-kit.

Nov 23, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #56 of 71
Quote:

Being in a car can be defined as portable (on the go), no
biggrin.gif
?

f_panasonic_cqtx5500d.jpg

NICE.

If I had that, I would have to make it a quick release unit, where I could take it with me whenever I went somewhere....there's no way in hell I'de trust that being in my car in public places.

Nov 23, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #57 of 71
LOL ... Car Audio... Tubes..
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Ive always found tube-based amplification in car audio a joke.... more of a marketing gimick than anything else.

With ~70 db of ambient road noise, the tube coloration and added harmonic coloration is inaudible. Or at the very least, a simulated "tube warmth" can be more practically/financially obtained with warm solid state amplification, careful speaker selection, and attention to installation.

*edit*
I should state the 2 high end tube amps I have heard were BK butler (in actuality a hybrid I belive) and a Milburt.

Just my oppinion...

Nov 23, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #58 of 71
Heh, but it looks cool too and I can go around feeling uber awesome that I have a tube in the head unit of my car stereo.
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #59 of 71
My buddy was sponsored by Boston Acoustics and had a proto tube amp. IIRC, it sounded very punchy and warm back when the Pro Series was their top line. It's my only dece experiance that I know of, of a tube amp. There were probably other times when I wasn't too intrested in anything other than mobile audio, but his, stuck in my head.

I dunno how that headunit would sound, but I'de sport it if for nothing else than the cool factor (I dunno if I'de pay $1K for it though, lol). I bet it won't drive anything of decent power either, and like you said, is probably all novelty, $1000 novelty.

Nov 23, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #60 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by photobob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mikhail will wait until he has it perfected. It is good that we all benefit from his fussiness.

The internals are done .... he just didnt like the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back