why most stock headphone cable are 3 leads instead of 4? that's a lot of difference!!
Dec 7, 2005 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

diablo9

500+ Head-Fier
I was trying to modify my previous HD600 cable into balanced 4 pin XLR cable. I realized that most stock cable of headphones are 3 leads instead of 4, the ground of left and right channel is not separated. This makes recabling of headphone into 4 pin XLR very hard. I know stock HD600 cable is 4 lead, but DT880 is not. AKG501 or 701 probably not, either.
I was wodering why the manufacturers don't make all cables 4 leads and make them XLR ended by default. You can always convert XLR into 3 lead 1/4 connector but not vice versa, right?
Or it's just that manufacturers don't consider XLR balanced connector can provide better SQ so that they don't even bother?

Dec 7, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 18
Figure 22ga copper costs $0.03/ft.

6 ft per pair of headphones

200,000 pairs of headphones

Most people are just going to use an ipod, or a discman.

Why waste the money? The few people that want balanced can get the headphones recabled. And most people seem to like the idea of having a single sided cable, it's less hassle.

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
Figure 22ga copper costs $0.03/ft.

6 ft per pair of headphones

200,000 pairs of headphones

Most people are just going to use an ipod, or a discman.

Why waste the money? The few people that want balanced can get the headphones recabled. And most people seem to like the idea of having a single sided cable, it's less hassle.

single sided cable like DT880 still have the short internal cable over the head going from left to right. And I am sure most people using HD6X0 or DT880 AKG701 won't just ipoder or disman. Why do they just save this little bit money?
I believe if they use 4 lead connector and provide the coverter, it would be a selling point for their marketing team.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 18
probably because these people will recable it anyway, because the manufacture cable will be "unsatisfactory"

i mean even some entry level brand name per foot cable for ICs and recables like starquad would increase the cost of the headphones like $30 after mark-up

Dec 7, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9
I believe if they use 4 lead connector and provide the coverter, it would be a selling point for their marketing team.
rolleyes.gif

Why would it? Sennheiser probably thinks balancing a headphone connection is completely pointless, and I would agree. They're not going to waste time and money marketing something that's pointless which only the most extreme audiophiles consider useful anyway. Not worth the effort for a $5 adapter.

Dec 7, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
There's a left ground channel and a right ground channel now?

There is in dual mono and balanced setups...

Dec 8, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 18
if even Senn engineers consider balanced setup is pointless, I don't believe I can smarter than them, and I highly doubt anyone in the forum would be, so...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

if even Senn engineers consider balanced setup is pointless, I don't believe I can smarter than them, and I highly doubt anyone in the forum would be, so...
rolleyes.gif

with the cable quality of oem cables and the amount of return for cost of a balanced setup, if the owner wants a balanced headphone, they will pay the recable.

Dec 8, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 18
lets face it, the market for balanced headphones is a pittance compared to the general market for the headphones. most people are happy to plug their dt880's into a recording console or home receiver and just use them without any consideration to a headphone amp let alone a dual mono setup.

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
You're right, the K501 is three conductor, I haven't bought the K701 to tear apart and recable yet
smily_headphones1.gif

thats just sad. the k-340&240 all use a 4-wire cable. the sennheiser hd5x5 cable is also a 4-wire.

Dec 8, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

You misunderstand, I never said Sennheiser engineers consider a balanced setup pointless, I said they PROBABLY consider balancing headphones pointless. Balanced audio is very important for long interconnect runs of line-level signals, but not for short headphone cables. Shielding isn't even necessary because any noise picked up is far too small to be noticable (doesn't get amplified).

But hey, I'm not about to stop you from balancing anything. I suppose it could have other benefits, you're using an entire stereo amp for one driver, which could have power advantages. But for the noise reduction, it is completely useless in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back