Why LCD series can't reduce its weight?
Oct 27, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #16 of 31
The new LCD MX4 is made of Magnesium which is lighter and stronger!

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #17 of 31
Yes but how is the soundstage
upload_2017-10-27_17-14-29.jpeg

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #18 of 31
Who cares if it's not as strong. Not like we're using them for bowling.

It would be very easy to bend or ding aluminum, possibly damaging the internals of the headphone. Not worth the fractional weight reduction. Most of the weight of the LCD series is in the magnets and the wood rings and the rings in the two new models are made out of much lighter materials. Until proven otherwise, I’m taking the word of the manufacturer that the MX4 is 30% lighter than the original 4 over a post on head-FI that gives no attribution to the source of the information. And if the numbers in the post turn out to be accurate, then it’s still 20% lighter than the original 4

Realistically, if you’re looking for a light weight full sized planar, Audeze probably isn’t the brand to go with - the design and associated weight of the magnets is core to their implementation and doesn’t appear to be changing soon. HFM is out there if you want lighter planars. As always, there is no free lunch - the build quality of the HFM cans I’ve seen is abysmal.

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #19 of 31
It would be very easy to bend or ding aluminum, possibly damaging the internals of the headphone. Not worth the fractional weight reduction. Most of the weight of the LCD series is in the magnets and the wood rings and the rings in the two new models are made out of much lighter materials. Until proven otherwise, I’m taking the word of the manufacturer that the MX4 is 30% lighter than the original 4 over a post on head-FI that gives no attribution to the source of the information. And if the numbers in the post turn out to be accurate, then it’s still 20% lighter than the original 4.
And if the post is correct (which I'm sure it is...Chris from Audeze is quoted), you're OK with false advertising?

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #20 of 31
And if the post is correct (which I'm sure it is...Chris from Audeze is quoted), you're OK with false advertising?

Obviously not. But that’s not what I posted, was it? Why are you assuming Audeze is lying and an unattributed post copied from another website is accurate?

Seems like you’re more interested in lining up the torches and pitchforks than the actual headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #21 of 31
Obviously not. But that’s not what I posted, was it? Why are you assuming Audeze is lying and an unattributed post copied from another website is accurate?

Seems like you’re more interested in lining up the torches and pitchforks than the actual headphones.

Sankar Thiagasamudram (CEO) has been smiling a lot. That MX4 looks like a winner. He's always serious in panel discussions, and interviews, chasing the end goal. He's been grinning, cause he knows Audeze be winning with this MX4. :D The only one i thought was borderline insane heavy was LCD-X, but thank god my neck is strong :)

Oct 27, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #22 of 31
Sankar Thiagasamudram (CEO) has been smiling a lot. That MX4 looks like a winner. He's always serious in panel discussions, and interviews, chasing the end goal. He's been grinning, cause he knows Audeze be winning with this MX4. :D The only one i thought was borderline insane heavy was LCD-X, but thank god my neck is strong :)

It will be interesting to hear how different the MX4 is from the original 4 but I agree, it does look like a potential winner.

I never had a problem with the weight of Audeze phones but certainly understand those that find them heavy. Everyone’s physiology and tolerances are different. Maybe because I spent so much time wearing a hockey goalie mask, my LCD3s don’t seem so heavy. Or maybe I’ve just taken too many pucks to the noggin :)

For whatever reason, especially with the addition of the CF headband, they always seemed balanced on my head and I didn’t experience the pressure points some users have issues with.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #23 of 31
It will be interesting to hear how different the MX4 is from the original 4 but I agree, it does look like a potential winner.

I never had a problem with the weight of Audeze phones but certainly understand those that find them heavy. Everyone’s physiology and tolerances are different. Maybe because I spent so much time wearing a hockey goalie mask, my LCD3s don’t seem so heavy. Or maybe I’ve just taken too many pucks to the noggin :)

For whatever reason, especially with the addition of the CF headband, they always seemed balanced on my head and I didn’t experience the pressure points some users have issues with.

:beerchug: fellow ex-goalie here, so you might be right lol
Couldn't afford the 961 at the time, so had a Hackva (heavy)
BHG set + CCM Heaton 8 chest/pants + 7000 skates.
Not the lighest stuff:p

Audeze readyy!

but in all seriousness that mx4 is bada** and i need em bad like i need gravy n cheese curds on my fries. :)

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #24 of 31
This and their cables. They are a joke. :)
I think I have a thinner cable on my Miele 2200w Vacuum Cleaner than on Audeze or even Fostex TX00.

Heck, they have thicker cables than most electrostatics on the market.
Don't know from where it begun this trend, but even Grado made thicker cables from one point. (The main reason I will not use a Grado again--- thick cables and small earpads) - they add to the weight and comfort quite a lot.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #25 of 31

Seems you're more interested in overreacting than actually reading.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #26 of 31
Who cares if it's not as strong. Not like we're using them for bowling.

But if we negligent drop our HP on the desk and softly hit with something like HP Amp and the grill is bending easily. I think 4,000 USD HP must reasonably strong.

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #29 of 31
I know they have similar structure, how about the listening difference between LCD3 and HEK?

IMO, HE1000 is more open sound. Neutral tone. Great smooth treble with good bass. LCD3 is warmer and thicker sound. The Bass has more power.

I prefer HEX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back