Why Kanye West = God?
Mar 22, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #272 of 378

Quote:
IMHO Kanye West Is an ego-maniac with limited talent who in 2 years will be gone from the Music scene. You'll be able to buy his CDs on Amazon for a penny. agaian MO.

I will bet SOOOO much money you are wrong.  I only have like $1000 since I am in high school, and I imagine you're speaking in hyperbole, but the offer is made.  He's been a successful producer for at least 11 years now and a successful rapper since 2004.  He is moving with a full head of steam and has shown quite a wide variety of musical abilities, ranging from his earlier soul-based production, his 808s work, to his latest more bombastic album.  Everyone has limited talent so I don't even need to address that, and being an ego-maniac has no direct impact on his music besides the fact that he is not afraid to believe in greatness.  Corny but true.  I can think for him being gone from the music scene because of A) death B) pursuing other careers a la Mos Def, but definitely not a lack of interest from the public.

THINGS I AM MAD THAT PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT:
SAMPLING
AUTOTUNE
HIPSTERS

The list will grow as I age...

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #273 of 378
What makes you unhappy about sampling and autotune complaints? They're awful. The entire point of them is to allow the suits to manufacture pop stars. If you look good and can dance, that's all you need.

It's not so much Kanye's ego that bothers me, but the fact that he's an emo teenager trapped in an adult body. I can't help but picture Kanye wearing some goth outfit with black eyeliner and writing whiny poems about how tortured he is.

Poor thing.

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #274 of 378
1. Sampling: I am not against sampling....but in this case he did sample quite alot.
2. AutoTune: Interesting.... but when misused can be very annoying

Today's mainstream musicians are (almost) all "produced", in Labs, by the music industry.
They do a lot of research and chemical-mixing to bring out "a new product"  (Justin Bieber, Hannah Montana.....)
I suppose it's similar with Mr. West.....that's all about MAKING MONEY.

That is also why i tend to prefer the more unknown artists, as they sound more authentic. 

When i'm sitting on a bus, listening to those mainstreamers (especially those who have been in the business for a while), i wonder whether those guys don't regret having taken this path.....

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #275 of 378
Autotune: These musicians (if you'll allow me to call them that) generally aren't pretending they're good at singing by using autotune.  It provides a different texture/timbre to vocals.
Sampling: Re-interpretation and re-implementation of music in new settings can be very interesting.
I mean I can even use Kanye for the example.  His auto-tune freakout on Runaway is pretty clear proof that autotune doesn't have to be used to "fool" the audience into thinking the performer is a beautiful pop singer.  He's obviously a heavy sampler.  Yet he doesn't dance on stage and he did not have an appealing "image" when he first came on the scene (i.e. record labels thought he was too suburban to be a rapper).  Where is the manufacturing?

I'm glad Kanye West is a bit childish.  World-weariness and maturity are overrated.  Not that I'm going to advocate Blink 182 as a good band or anything, but "What's My Age Again"  Some lyrics from Power go like this: "My childlike creativity, purity and honesty / Is honestly being crowded with these grown thoughts / Reality is catching up with me / Taking my inner child, I'm fighting for custody."  Clearly he thinks his "immaturity" is an asset.  Those lyrics actually remind me a bit of The Catcher in the Rye which I think is pretty cool.
Quote:
What makes you unhappy about sampling and autotune complaints? They're awful. The entire point of them is to allow the suits to manufacture pop stars. If you look good and can dance, that's all you need.

It's not so much Kanye's ego that bothers me, but the fact that he's an emo teenager trapped in an adult body. I can't help but picture Kanye wearing some goth outfit with black eyeliner and writing whiny poems about how tortured he is.

Poor thing.

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #277 of 378
I would like to say that a couple of people are a little bit ignorant about this guy. He does not care whether the public likes his album or not. He makes these albums to prove to himself that he can make music. He is constantly pushing the boundaries of everything. I mean his last album was genius.  It had a little bit of everything.  I really disagree with many things being said in this thread. except the last two posts, those were good

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #278 of 378
Death and the end of a relationship are par for the course in life. I've experienced both - numerous times - and even worse. I should have died twice so far and don't wear it as a badge of honor. Let alone write bad lyrics about it. Most adults don't, either. I disagree strongly about maturity, Calexico. It ain't overrated. Maturity is what lets a lot of country songwriters deal with tragedy with humor. As it should be. Bad things happen, but those who move on and can still have a good time are healthy. Those who pity themselves and wallow in it are the ones trapped in self-obsession.

Kanye wants you to feel sorry for him, but I don't have much time for navel-gazing or fragile little emo lyrics. Understandable for a child, but not a grown man.

Ignorance? Where, please. No new musical ground is broken in any Kanye album. Just a bunch of clichés and moaning. If you think this compares to anything in rock, jazz, classical, folk, international, or country, feel free to draw comparisons.

What you get with Kanye are the pathetic bleats of a narcissist whose emotional development was arrested around 15. There's nothing new musically, either.

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #279 of 378
1. Auto-Tune can be done in such a perfection that it is relatively close to a real singer (except for the echo at the end of the words).....Ex: Eminem - Hailie's Song  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy5sfXW5UCg

2. That's everything he wants the public to think.....of course an artist cares about whether the public likes him or not, he wants to make MONEY (and not get fired by his label)

3. A person needs to be able to cope with everyday life, which involves looking at things in a mature way....you shouldn't hide your problems behind a mask of childish joy and childish         enjoyments....
You may wrap it in humor, a very good way of dealing with it, but not necessarily in the way Mr. West does it.
Selfreflection and -criticism is never bad....
Think about the good sides of your life, be thankful 

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #280 of 378

Quote:
Death and the end of a relationship are par for the course in life. I've experienced both - numerous times - and even worse. I should have died twice so far and don't wear it as a badge of honor. Let alone write bad lyrics about it. Most adults don't, either. I disagree strongly about maturity, Calexico. It ain't overrated. Maturity is what lets a lot of country songwriters deal with tragedy with humor. As it should be. Bad things happen, but those who move on and can still have a good time are healthy. Those who pity themselves and wallow in it are the ones trapped in self-obsession.

Kanye wants you to feel sorry for him, but I don't have much time for navel-gazing or fragile little emo lyrics. Understandable for a child, but not a grown man.

Ignorance? Where, please. No new musical ground is broken in any Kanye album. Just a bunch of clichés and moaning. If you think this compares to anything in rock, jazz, classical, folk, international, or country, feel free to draw comparisons.

What you get with Kanye are the pathetic bleats of a narcissist whose emotional development was arrested around 15. There's nothing new musically, either.

Where is the ignorance? The fact that you base all of this upon one little album.  He has released five albums. and only one album has had "fragile little emo lyrics."  So for you to say he is wallowing then i completely disagree.  He had a rough year, and he made an album, that wasn't really emo at all and you come act as if his whole career is based off of this album.  The songs from 808s were about love, and losing love. I don't really understand where you are getting all this from.  I really can't argue with you because your mind is set

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #281 of 378
His other albums aren't any good, either.

Kanye needs to grow up. A class or two in music composition and learning how to play an instrument wouldn't hurt, either.

Maybe Kanye is capable of making good music. But he hasn't made any so far.

My guess is that he'll retreat into a clothing line or hawking energy drinks sooner or later.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #282 of 378

Quote:
1. Sampling: I am not against sampling....but in this case he did sample quite alot.
2. AutoTune: Interesting.... but when misused can be very annoying

Today's mainstream musicians are (almost) all "produced", in Labs, by the music industry.
They do a lot of research and chemical-mixing to bring out "a new product"  (Justin Bieber, Hannah Montana.....)
I suppose it's similar with Mr. West.....that's all about MAKING MONEY.

That is also why i tend to prefer the more unknown artists, as they sound more authentic. 

When i'm sitting on a bus, listening to those mainstreamers (especially those who have been in the business for a while), i wonder whether those guys don't regret having taken this path.....

Do you even listen to hip-hop? Kanye got famous for using samples. In-fact the majority of his songs use samples. It's actually what separates him from the rest of the producers in the hip-hop industry because he does it so well. In-fact the first beat he ever got famous for was Jay-Z's "Heart of the City" in which he used a prominent 70's RnB tune. He also made the beats for half of Jay-Z's, arguably, best album "The Blueprint."

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #283 of 378
Yes, i listen to hip-hop.

I never said that he samples 'badly' (he only adds some modernity to older songs).
I only said that he samples very much and that i personally would prefer some more uniqueness to his sound.

Again....i never said that he was bad.

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #284 of 378

Quote:
His other albums aren't any good, either.

Kanye needs to grow up. A class or two in music composition and learning how to play an instrument wouldn't hurt, either.

Maybe Kanye is capable of making good music. But he hasn't made any so far.

My guess is that he'll retreat into a clothing line or hawking energy drinks sooner or later.

I guess my next question should be what do you consider to be good music? Because really everything you are saying is based on opinion, not fact

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #285 of 378
I'm with Uncle Eric I'm afraid. Kanye is an arrogant child with no tallent.

Haven't read the thread coz frankly I can't stand the guy. Saw him on some show once (Letterman or something?) acting like he was the saviour of the world. What an ass*%le.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back