Why isn't the Focal Spirit Classic more popular!
Aug 9, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #18 of 55
Hello everyone, 

I would like to ask for a little help. In the last few weeks, I've read pretty much everything I could find online regarding the FSC and HD650 (and a few others, but I narrowed it down to these 2). In an attempt to keep it as simple as possible, based on SQ alone, which one should I choose - the Focal Spirit Classic or the Sennheiser HD650?

I am aware there are many differences between the 2, including open/closed, required amp/dac and so on, but I also read that the sound quality is somewhat similar and both can be purchased for pretty much the same price. Unfortunately, I have no way to compare these headphones.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #19 of 55
To my ears:

FSC: more forward, engaging, punchy, but still rich, smooth, balanced

HD650: a little brighter but more laid back; 'softer' sound yet a little more detailed; a little more comfortable

Both great. If I had to keep only one, it would probably be the HD650. But I'm very happy with the Focal's-- not letting them go.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #21 of 55
You can't go wrong with either, IMO. For me, it would come down more to musical preferences, and if you prefer a more laid-back sound, or a more up-front sound. Both scale pretty well from my limited experience (but likely most would say the HD650 scales higher).

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #22 of 55

I also have both the Focal Spirit Classic and the Sennheiser HD 650 and I really like both very much. I agree with Arcamera's description. If noise Isolation is not necessary and if you have a good amp, then you should prefer the HD 650 which scales very well. I have an Auralic Taurus MKII (expensive, I know...) which drives the HD 650 (especially balanced) to an incredibly good level.

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #24 of 55
Good choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #25 of 55
Best closed cans I have. Had them for over a year now. Got an open box pair for dirt cheap. Heard a friends retail ones and sound exactly the same. They do everything almost really well except vocals can sound like hd650's but slightly quieter but still full. Also these are one of the most comfortable closed headphones I have. I have Sony's, Sennheiser;s, Denon's and Monster(yes). The treble on these are really sweet, the bass is tight and never over done. I almost agree with whathifi's review said they could use a little more punch not much. They sound very natural.  Would not call them portable as isolation is just average for a closed back. I use only the long cable on my  computer with an Onkyo dac/amp. I amp everything except my ipod 5.5. I think the retail price scares people off as there is a lot of competition in this price arena, Focal is not known by your average audio enthusiast.  I sold my Senn 650's as they weren't getting used especially after I got my Hifimans. These are great for all genres but shine on jazz and acoustic. What's a shock is my favorite open cans are my Grado's not my Hifimans. Go figure. I'm not into graphs or measuring FQ. My test is a few tracks of rock,  live, r&b , gospel, jazz and classical and if I like what I hear I keep them if not they get put away and sold.  But I usually check headfi and youtube for reviews too.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #26 of 55
Agree superb and  underrated headphones. Possibly unique combination of effortlessly smooth and natural sound, perfect timbre and yet great dynamics, detail and impact. Faultless sound really.

Sounds great out of most things as long as the source in not overly warm (ie in my experience the Teac HA P50). Running them of my Chord Mojo or Musical fidelity V-Can II the have sweet non fatiguing highs but certainly no roll off . They are the reason I sold my Beyer DT150s which are reckoned by those in the know to be one of the best closed headphones. The Beyers do have a larger soundstage but I just never listened to them: the Focals surpass them in every other area IMO and are so much more engaging overall.

Two possible faults for some:

Comfort but they fit me like a glove and

Build my second replacement pair are holding up fine after cracking headband with the first two pairs. Replaced efficiently by Focal on both occasions. I take great care of them and hope they last. no idea what could replace them.

They deserve thousands of posts on HeadFi. Focal ironically are now FOTM with their Utopia and Elear. They've been making a fine headphone for a few years but maybe they weren't expensive enough to be taken seriously on here where money talks in the bragging rights.
  Best closed cans I have. Had them for over a year now. Got an open box pair for dirt cheap. Heard a friends retail ones and sound exactly the same. They do everything almost really well except vocals can sound like hd650's but slightly quieter but still full. Also these are one of the most comfortable closed headphones I have. I have Sony's, Sennheiser;s, Denon's and Monster(yes). The treble on these are really sweet, the bass is tight and never over done. I almost agree with whathifi's review said they could use a little more punch not much. They sound very natural.  Would not call them portable as isolation is just average for a closed back. I use only the long cable on my  computer with an Onkyo dac/amp. I amp everything except my ipod 5.5. I think the retail price scares people off as there is a lot of competition in this price arena, Focal is not known by your average audio enthusiast.  I sold my Senn 650's as they weren't getting used especially after I got my Hifimans. These are great for all genres but shine on jazz and acoustic. What's a shock is my favorite open cans are my Grado's not my Hifimans. Go figure. I'm not into graphs or measuring FQ. My test is a few tracks of rock,  live, r&b , gospel, jazz and classical and if I like what I hear I keep them if not they get put away and sold.  But I usually check headfi and youtube for reviews too.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #27 of 55
Indeed. I do find it a little annoying that these are virtually unknown now in discussions of Focal headphones. I wonder how their also under-discussed new entry-level Listen (is that what they're called?) compare to their previous efforts. Anyone try those out?

Dec 11, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #28 of 55
Would like to keep the ball rolling by adding, to those who don't find them comfortable, that you can rotate the cups fore and aft, relieving the pressure either front or back of the ear. Nevertheless, yes, they are not the ultimate in comfort. I also have HD 650, Beyer dt1350, momentum on ear and sony Mdr 1 bt. But the focal SC can be addictive with all their sonic strengths and I had isolated them in the past, but I just rediscovered them this month. I have Valhalla 2and asgard 2 and both are very exciting to use with fsc. I will hold on to them before getting anywhere near the Elear. Too much dough right now.

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #29 of 55
Love these headphones. I have quite small ears so the fit is not a problem for me. Sound wise they are excelent in every aspect. Could use a bit more "oomph", but that can be pretty much achieved by using an EQ. But maybe that's the basshead in me talking,I should get a pair solely for that purpose haha. I do listen to them at very high volumes all the time and the bass always stays controlled. I use fiio X1 and lately lg G5 + bang and olufsen module to drive them since I usually use them outside or when travelling and only like 25% of the time @ home. They both drive them very well imo. Tried using them with a fostex hp A3 also, but these cans are very easy to drive.

Would like to keep the ball rolling by adding, to those who don't find them comfortable, that you can rotate the cups fore and aft, relieving the pressure either front or back of the ear. Nevertheless, yes, they are not the ultimate in comfort. I also have HD 650, Beyer dt1350, momentum on ear and sony Mdr 1 bt. But the focal SC can be addictive with all their sonic strengths and I had isolated them in the past, but I just rediscovered them this month. I have Valhalla 2and asgard 2 and both are very exciting to use with fsc. I will hold on to them before getting anywhere near the Elear. Too much dough right now.

I am also interested in the Elear but yeah, too pricey for me @ the moment. Maybe after I finish college I could afford such a luxury. Could you please compare them to the momentum since you have both ?

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #30 of 55
For me it was the clamping force. Loved the neutral sound, but had to take them off after one song. Otherwise they gave me a nasty headache. Too bad, cause They were a very nice sounding phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back