Why is the K340 offered for big bucks here on Head-Fi?
Jan 13, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because you can pretty much only get them on the German ebay for that price, and even there they don't pop up that much.

So? As you know, I've been eying them for quite some time now, and there have always been one or two available. There was only one that didn't want to ship outside of Germany.

I decided to wait after the meet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 41
True, most are willing to ship outside of Germany. Regardless, I think they are worth the prices that are being payed here. They are a special headphone and if you have a system to suit them, they'll deliver like little else.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 41
the question is whether they are modded. The mods on these are so extensive and time-consuming, that a fully-modded pair certainly justifies at least a $150 premium over a stock pair.

Otherwise, I think there is some justification for paying something extra just for having someone else find a pair, make sure it works, and then get it to your country. Randomly buying from some German ebayer selling his dad's old K340 can be pretty risky when you're overseas.

At the same time, you're totally right that the prices in the FS forum can sometimes be too high even so. I can think of one pair that's been there for a while asking double its real worth. A real bargain hunter just needs to be a good ebayer, and it helps if you can read a little German: an auction with clear pictures and description from a seller with good feedback who responds to messages in English is IMO a reasonably safe bet. But then you're spending at least a couple of hours of ebay time to save maybe fifty bucks.

Jan 13, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just won a German pair on ebay at €99,- inc. shipping. It'll be my backup pair for the ones I use now, which were +$200,- when I bought them from France.

Make sure you bring them to the meet!
tongue.gif

Thanking you in advance,

Charles.
340smile.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 41
Stock K340 is worth less than £100 imho. And taking the time and money to invest in all those mods is a risk indeed cos you might not like the result. They, like so many other headphones here, have their very vocal fans. This creates a reputation which it is debatable they deserve.

Jan 13, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 41
First of all, I bought my k340 on German eBay for less than 100 €, and they turned out to be in better condition than many I've seen on F.S. page. Further, from some of the backyard-mechanic mods. I've seen - to generalize, I prefer (if I needed another pair) to buy them unmodded. The problem is always, when you don't know the modder personally - previously unknown problems tend to pop up.....on the other hand, I (very) recently saw a pair sell here in 5 minutes - and they appeared to be in unusually excellent condition. IMO if you find an unmodded pair that appear good (pay attention to chrome outer ring as an indicator), you will have a can that will become at least competitive with other top selections......such purchases always depend upon the acumen of the buyer.

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer (if I needed another pair) to buy them unmodded. The problem is always, when you don't know the modder personally - previously unknown problems tend to pop up...

Exactly. I'd rather get stock and maybe have Larry tell me something is wrong and fix it for me. That way, I know I'll get the quality I expect. Unless it's a headphiled K340 I wouldn't pay more than around € 100.

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #14 of 41
look how the cable has been stretched - a lot - mucho use here. It doesn't necessarily mean they're bad - but certainly far from pristine. The pic. doesn't "sell" them to me...........not even close enough for any detail info.

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So? As you know, I've been eying them for quite some time now, and there have always been one or two available.

Well, the crap is circulating.There seem to be a lot of K340s in Germany, but most of the offers are the same crap again and again.
In fact the good K340s are rare.Over the last three years I've bought 10 K340s, and only 4 were worth modding.The rest was either worn out or the worthless bass heavy variety.
You are probably aware of the fact that there are several varieties.

I've recently sold k340s via ebay.Excellent technical condition (except the self adjusting rubber bands, but even these were not totally worn out as usual).And near mint cosmetical condition.
Why via ebay and not via head-fi FS subforum?
Well, I never rip off fellow head-fiers.
Ebay is another question.
I always answer questions truthfully, but if the idiots don't ask ..........

Only 75 Euros.
Bargain?
No.Too expensive.
Due to the excellent condition they were worth about 40-50 Euros.
Spare parts, that's all.
There's no way to mod the bass heavy crap into something worth the effort.
Total waste of time.

That's the reason why I would ask for at least $180 for my mediocre spare pair and $250 for my mint spare pair if I ever decided to sell them via head-fi.
They are selected and proven to be worth modding by an experienced head-fier.
So I think relatively high prices are justified if the seller knows what he is selling.

It's extremely frustrating to spend 15 hours for ebaying, purchasing parts and modding and in the end they don't sound that good.I've learnt it the hard way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back