Why is the ATH-M50 headphones price go up?
May 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 10
I remember buying my headphones for $150, and next week they were $120 on amazon. Just be patient. 

May 9, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 10
I use PriceTrace to keep an eye on the price drop of things i'm interested in.  You can have an email sent to you when the price drops to one you would like to purchase at.  also it will show you a graph for the price of the item over the past year.  Very helpful.

http://www.pricetrace.com/

also use The Tracktor.
http://thetracktor.com/

I use both on amazon.

May 9, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 10
Price flux exists because these are unique products not sold by retailers themselves.  If you look at Amazon, Sears, etc. most of them are sold through third party vendors.  The price of the item depends on the location of the item even though you pay universal shipping.

Specifically, ATH is a Far East manufacturer, as such the shipment costs vary depending on which country it is retailing from (even though most products are made in China-the cost of an item coming from say Japan or South Korea can vary depending on where the warehouses are stationed).  Since these products are not region locked (like the PS3 by Sony or most TVs due to FCC restrictions), they can be sold depending on the at-market price the vendor is buying at.  So if vendor A has the product in a warehouse in South Korea for 100 bucks then you might get it for 110.

If vendor B has the product in the US you might get it for 150 etc. 

I just bought mine for 150.  I could have gotten one for cheaper but the vendor I chose was an approved seller and guarantees replacement if the product breaks.  AT will not replace non-vendor approved items!

Cheers!

May 9, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 10
I guess the take home message is that there is no true "price drop" taking place in the traditional sense.  When PS3s drop in price they truly drop in price because the manufacturer has lowered the MSRP.  However, these items are dropping in price to the end user (you) but are really staying the same.  Its just dependent on their location.

You experience this as an off-shoot of the digital age!

May 10, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 10
FWIW I purchased my ATH-M50S on Amazon three weeks ago for $116. I'm very happy with them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back