Why is "nobody" recommending open Audio Technica's?
Nov 2, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering AD2000s sound good ampless (right? I'm basing this on loose hear say :p) they're not really that expensive. Then again I guess having an amp is more versatile and cheaper in the long term ...

Anyway, I dare you to find a thread asking for a 'gaming headphone' without a mention of the AD700s at least 20 times. I DARE YOU!

I disagree with anyone telling me Ad2ks work well without an amp there better than my HD650s (just) but saying the work well un-amped is a stretch.

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, could be that I did not use the search function this time as I just had the "feeling" or did not rememeber a lot of people recommending open Audio Technica's and the fact that I did not search for a particular model.
And to be honest to me it still looks like they are not recommended as often as the top end Sennheiser's and AKG's etc.

If you search for closed cans one thing is for sure, the A900 will be recommended...

I read a few reviews about the AD2000 by now and it seems they would not be my cup of tea.

I'm glad you found some reviews on the AD2000s. There is a lot of good cans, and to be honest some cans I heard initially and didn't like, I purchaesd them again and found that I really do like them in my new system. The synergy in your system from your source and amp makes a huge difference how your can sounds and performs. I wish you the best of luck on your headphone search
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #33 of 42
I love mine. I agree the source makes a difference. My Xonar d2x sounds a good amount better than my old xtrememusic with these phones. They reveal everything so source quality is a big deal. I get the impression from reading that sennheaser hd6x0's add unnatural smoothness that maybe hides flaws better? Anyhow, when I got my new sound card it got rid of the harsh S's in a lot of music and I'm really happy with what I have right now. If you're patient maybe musicians friend will have some more cosmetically blemished but new ad2000's in stock sometime soon for $370. Keep checking back.
Musician's Friend - Search Results

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #34 of 42
came across lots of useful stuff on head-fi about the AD700 and AD900.

am thinking of either as my first plunge into full-size phones (unamped) but ... all those comments on the AD2000 are ruining me!

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
came across lots of useful stuff on head-fi about the AD700 and AD900.

am thinking of either as my first plunge into full-size phones (unamped) but ... all those comments on the AD2000 are ruining me!

Well when I got my first AD2K - I got them 320$ used for 120hrs, it was a relative bargain then. 600$ is little too much to pay for though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If and when I go back to a serious dynamic rig, the AD2000 will be one of the first phones I consider.

biggrin.gif
I'm pretty sure my AD2Ks are staying with me even if I go 1) balanced or 2) upgrade to better amp/source. I think I found my true love.

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif
I'm pretty sure my AD2Ks are staying with me even if I go 1) balanced or 2) upgrade to better amp/source. I think I found my true love.

Nah, your stats will supplant them.
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, your stats will supplant them.
wink.gif

I'm sure, but AD2K can still be like my mistress while O2 mk1 will be my true love then?

I'm starting to sound like Patrick82, so I'll stop there.

How are MK2s with classic rock?

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree with anyone telling me Ad2ks work well without an amp there better than my HD650s (just) but saying the work well un-amped is a stretch.

I take it back then, and might rely on hearsay a bit less too
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #40 of 42
I just bought a pair of Scratch and dent AD2K's from Musicians Freind for 369.00. I had a credit for 60 bucks form a slighly cosmetically blemished new guitar I bought(which doesnt actually bother me in the least since I end up blemishing a guitar myself anyway sooner or later), so I picked them up for 300.00.Thgey are being shipped today.
It will be my first high end can besides a pair of old Stax Electrets.
I was consdiering another pair of blemished HD650 Senns they had awhile back for about the same price.
Maybe I would prefer the Senns, but i am guessing the AT's wont be horrible, and that I can learn to live with them
tongue.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by smuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And to be honest to me it still looks like they are not recommended as often as the top end Sennheiser's and AKG's etc.

I read a few reviews about the AD2000 by now and it seems they would not be my cup of tea.

Yes, you are absolutely right. People do seem to like the sennheisers and AKG´s a lot. And they really are great phones. However, I actually owned the HD650, the K701 and the AT W1000 at the same time, and I must say, that I much preferred the Audio Technica, compared to the Senn and AKG.
Perception of sound is a very personal thing
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #42 of 42
G'Day Calypso,

How do your AD2000s compare to your GS1000 and SA5000? I am looking for an upgrade to my AD900 and you have three of the cans I am considering.
To land these cans here in Aus, the price relative to each would be:
GS1000=$1400, AD2000=$900-$1100 SA5000=$700 aprox. What are your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back