Why is "nobody" recommending open Audio Technica's?
Nov 2, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #16 of 42
"Nobody"?
I see a lot of threads around Head-Fi about open-back Audio Technicas. Especially the ATH-AD2000...

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Nobody"?
I see a lot of threads around Head-Fi about open-back Audio Technicas. Especially the ATH-AD2000...

it's probably mostly me talking.

(looks at my post count)

Yeah, it's entirely me talking.
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though I hate AD2000, I'd recommend you should at least try it for yourself.

For those of us contemplating the top end open ATH I would be interested on you expanding on why you hate the AD2000. Plenty of Head fiers realy like it and some don't, I like balance and it makes you aware of potential "faults" when people give contrasting views. So if you have the time tell us what you don't like about it.

Nov 2, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(looks at my post count)

ksc75smile.gif

It is totally you
smily_headphones1.gif
. But seriously I remember recommending the AD2000 with you at well. There are tons of threads about this topic. The OP just forgot to use the "search" function
rolleyes.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of us contemplating the top end open ATH I would be interested on you expanding on why you hate the AD2000. Plenty of Head fiers realy like it and some don't, I like balance and it makes you aware of potential "faults" when people give contrasting views. So if you have the time tell us what you don't like about it.

After reading comments by those I trust, I sold both my HD600 and HD650 a while back to fund the purchase of the AD2000, here are what I feel about this AT headphone compare to both HD6X0s:

+ really good build quality(except the cable)
+ detail, good midbass
- a little bit brighter/ more fragile than I'd like
- soundstage is smaller with a weird shape, the singer is right in front of you and the left and right of the stage are miles behind the singer
- less bass than I'd like
- upfront but dry, muffle and uninvolving midrange
- clamps tighter than both HD6X0s
- the cable is thin but hard, microphonic with open headphone!

None of the above are major faults, but when they added up, it is a faulted headphone to match my sonic preference. I was so disappointed and I bought another pair of HD650.

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(looks at my post count)

ksc75smile.gif

Yeah, that may be true! But still you are a bit more than "nobody"...
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading comments by those I trust, I sold both my HD600 and HD650 a while back to fund the purchase of the AD2000, here are what I feel about this AT headphone compare to both HD6X0s:

+ really good build quality(except the cable)
+ detail, good midbass
- a little bit brighter/ more fragile than I'd like
- soundstage is smaller with a weird shape, the singer is right in front of you and the left and right of the stage are miles behind the singer
- less bass than I'd like
- upfront but dry, muffle and uninvolving midrange
- clamps tighter than both HD6X0s
- the cable is thin but hard, microphonic with open headphone!

None of the above are major faults, but when they added up, it is a faulted headphone to match my sonic preference. I was so disappointed and I bought another pair of HD650.

Did you fat pad them? (KEEP THE DISTANCE SMALL- if you make it too large really weird (bad) effects happen)
*I use a single pipe cleaner for mine*
(The above helps with the blurring and honkyness problems you may get as well along with the mentioned sound-stage issues)

Also my weiss dac2 (highly recommended) is slightly dark, with alot of body and it really does amazing things for my ad2ks... (Other phones don't say no either).

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #28 of 42
Considering AD2000s sound good ampless (right? I'm basing this on loose hear say :p) they're not really that expensive. Then again I guess having an amp is more versatile and cheaper in the long term ...

Anyway, I dare you to find a thread asking for a 'gaming headphone' without a mention of the AD700s at least 20 times. I DARE YOU!

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also my weiss dac2 (highly recommended) is slightly dark, with alot of body and it really does amazing things for my ad2ks... (Other phones don't say no either).

I´m having great hopes for the synergi between the Yamamoto and the AD2000 also ( will arrive in a few days time).
The characteristics of the sound for the two amplifiers, actually sound pretty similar. A warm sounding amp, is probably a good match with the AD2000.

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP just forgot to use the "search" function
rolleyes.gif

Yea, could be that I did not use the search function this time as I just had the "feeling" or did not rememeber a lot of people recommending open Audio Technica's and the fact that I did not search for a particular model.
And to be honest to me it still looks like they are not recommended as often as the top end Sennheiser's and AKG's etc.

If you search for closed cans one thing is for sure, the A900 will be recommended...

I read a few reviews about the AD2000 by now and it seems they would not be my cup of tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back