Why is creating a playlist for a Rbox'd Clip+ so difficult?
Apr 14, 2011 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

chelboed

100+ Head-Fier
I really don't get it??? Why can't I just create my playlist on WMP and drag it to my player?

Who the crap has time to type out file paths for a freakin' buttload of songs just for a playlist?

I still don't know how to do it and I've read the rockbox manual that was useless.

So I type a file path to my main drive on my player...so how do I find the name of that drive? When it's plugged into my PC it's labeled a capital letter with a colon.

When I finally have a path laid out, where the heck do I put it? Drop in in the music drive? Is there a playlist folder?

For something that's supposed to be so simple...nobody has really written a quick and easy step by step way to do it. Probably b/c there are too many geeked out people tyring to help that take for granted the easier things that they consider common knowledge...but for somebody who's never typed a file path for any purpose before...

...what do I do?

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 20
I don't know how WMP does playlists, but I downloaded the free Media Jukebox. I build the playlist by dragging tracks into the playlist window, hook up the Clip+, and then drop the playlist into the player window. Couldn't be easier.

You do have to rebuild the database when you turn the Clip+ back on, but that's pretty quick.

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 20
I have had headaches trying to get playlists to work with my rockbox'd clip for gym use...should I be using 3rd party sofware?  foobar?  media monkey?  is there a decent tutorial anywhere?  I've looked and I am very computer/software saavy...I teach photoshop classes for gods sake, but making playlists for my clip+ baffles me...any and all help appreciated

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 20
This is something I've been curious about lately as well. Googled around a bit, and most responses said to reference the manual, which really wasn't helpful at all...

Firstly, you can create playlists directly on your Clip. If you hold the middle "select" button on a highlighted track while you're browsing, you are then presented with a menu where you can put that track into the active playlist. Or something, I didn't explore it too much, but I did use it a couple of times for the gym.

I also use Foobar. This is what I do. I make a new playlist in Foobar. Then I drag-n-drop my Clip music folder into it. This way I can be sure the music I'm making a playlist of is all actually on my Clip. Then I make another new playlist, called "gym" or something. Then I browse the playlist with all my Clip music in it, and drag-n-drop the songs I want on my gym playlist. Then I highlight all the songs in my gym playlist, right-click -> utilities -> save as playlist. Then I name the playlist and save it in either m3u or m3u8 format(both work) to the "playlists" folder on my Clip. Alternately I suppose you wouldn't even need to make the "gym" playlist in Foobar, instead highlighting the songs you want a playlist of from your Clip music playlist and following the same steps.

Then on my Clip I just go to the playlist section, then "view catalog", and there they are. It's actually easier and a bit less convoluted than what I just described. lol

Quote:
I have had headaches trying to get playlists to work with my rockbox'd clip for gym use...should I be using 3rd party sofware?  foobar?  media monkey?  is there a decent tutorial anywhere?  I've looked and I am very computer/software saavy...I teach photoshop classes for gods sake, but making playlists for my clip+ baffles me...any and all help appreciated

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 20
hmm, I can't drag the music from my clip into foobar...and are you able to use the external card with this method...so frustrated with playlists

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #8 of 20
Instead of stressing over "playlists", why not create a folder containing the songs you would want in the playlist, then play just that folder?
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 20
Yes. I don't see why that won't work for you. Are you able to browse the contents of your Clip as if it were a typical external drive?

Quote:
hmm, I can't drag the music from my clip into foobar...and are you able to use the external card with this method...so frustrated with playlists

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
Instead of stressing over "playlists", why not create a folder containing the songs you would want in the playlist, then play just that folder?
wink.gif

Yah man...that's what I've been doing, but it's more of a pain b/c I can search with WMP and sync all at once versus thumbing through every folder I want and dragging/dropping each one.

It definitely works...it's just a pain in the hiney.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 20

yes I can browse the folders on my clip as if its an external drive, but I can't drag and drop into foobar...am I in the wrong drive mode?  I'm just plugging it in and the OF comes up.  Using windows 7 by the way. I have done the folder thing and it kind of works, but I had to rename and retag the files so I could use the database.  I'd just love a system that is a little more user friendly...I'm not expecting itunes ease of use, but something I can actually do without wanting to throw my DAP across the room.  It's frustrating because the rockbox forums always resort to RTFM, but the manual is not clear at all.  and again, I'm normally very software savvy.  I've been reluctant to actually sync the player since I have limited room on my laptop that I'm doing most of this on.

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
I was thinking you might be in the wrong drive mode...maybe try changing that.

I don't think Rockbox will even work with MTP mode.

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #15 of 20
Isn't this going to result in you have the same file stored more than once in mulitple folders?
Quote:
Most ppl put their music in Folders and use them as Playlists.

Pros: More organized and easier maintenance of files. Universal playlists across all mp3/media players like itunes>ipods, sonys, sansas, cowons, zune, etc

Cons: None.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back