Why I am miffed at the iPod
Jan 2, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #77 of 78
What I find strange, is that he says his interrupts are in conflict, when using the onboard. So he went out and got new cards for LAN, and sound.

If he upgraded to XP,he could use XP's 'Virtual IRQ', and not have to deal with that anymore, sell his soundcard and LAN card and recoup some of the cost of the 80$ an OEM copy of WindowsXP costs..

But as he said, he likes 98SE. Can't knock him for that.

When 98SE works, it works beautifully. And it works alot.

Jan 2, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #78 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by skyther
Uhm, you have a GFX5900 in a system powered by a second generation Athlon. And you're also saying you can't afford 250 bucks for a mobo/CPU upgrade.

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense to me. A budget video card would have made little performance difference due to your CPU bottleneck and would have cost a fraction as much.

Is there even DirectX 9 for W98SE? W98's memory management is trash compared to XP/2k.

Yeah, was XP even out when you got your CPU? I'll personally bet my two systems (one A-XP/Barton based and another P4C) will perform much better with XP over W98.

<sigh>
1) My vidcard went bad, my TI4200 64mb. I had to do battle with PNY for a replacment, which eventually took a month. But I bought a FX5200 to use. It stank. Got a FX5900. Not easy for me, on a fixed disability income. Credit cards forever! Love it. It plays my Call of Duty GREAT. Big improvement over the TI4200 too. CPU Bottleneck? Hogwash. My current setup can be compared to thousands at aquamark, and my system (with same CPU and vcard) is only bettered by OVERCLOCKERS. I beat out many XP users, even with their more up to date nVidea drivers.
Your argument that XP is "faster" than WIN98SE is not true in all cases.

2) Directx9. Of course WIN98SE supports it. I have it loaded and have games that use it. My aquamark tests are with directx9. So much for that jab.

3) You systems better than my systems? LOL. Back to the 8th grade. Dependes on various things.

Interrupt problems. No, I did not have interrupt "conflicts" per se.
I had performance issues (or at least I was not happy with my new system). WIN98SE assigns interrupts, and virtual interrupts (with PCI IRQ Steerings ones), unless the mb forces interrupts.
I can set things up in Safe mode, unless MB is forcing things.

I fine tuned my system. I assigned HARDWARE interrupts AND Windows interrupts. My vidcard, soundcard, and LAN all have their own interrupts in HARDWARE and SOFTWARE. Makes a difference.

Things don't make sense to you because you do NOT know my situation and reasons for my decisions.

Hell, all I did was post I was "miffed" at iPod for not supporting USB 1.1 (which they SHOULD) and WIN98SE (I can understand why they would not). And what a thread it turned out too be, LOL.

I am 90% happy with my ZEN. The 10% less if for low headphone power. Creative blew it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back