Why I am miffed at the iPod
Dec 26, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #46 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
What speaks for what? LOL.

Just about every program hits the registry in some way or another. The registry is fine usually.

But applications corrupt the registry. So you have to prepare for that. MS gives you tools to do that.

My point is that if you need to use two different programs to constantly maintain the stability of your system, you should seriously consider re-evaluating your system. Personally, I would find that sort of maintenance unacceptable. I used to do this with 98 (re-imaging my drive with a known good backup every week or so), which obviously was a major pain in the *ss and led to my upgrading/switching OSes.

If you have a system that works the way you want it, great, but if it's idiosyncratic and non-standard (and technically obsolete, since Microsoft has stopped supporting 98) more power to you. I run my XP system hard (RAID, firewire video capture and editing, constantly installing/uninstalling software, etc.) and it works fine for me. No external utilities required. I don't even run an anti-virus program.

Dec 26, 2003 at 7:37 AM Post #48 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by davei
My point is that if you need to use two different programs to constantly maintain the stability of your system, you should seriously consider re-evaluating your system. Personally, I would find that sort of maintenance unacceptable. I used to do this with 98 (re-imaging my drive with a known good backup every week or so), which obviously was a major pain in the *ss and led to my upgrading/switching OSes.

If you have a system that works the way you want it, great, but if it's idiosyncratic and non-standard (and technically obsolete, since Microsoft has stopped supporting 98) more power to you. I run my XP system hard (RAID, firewire video capture and editing, constantly installing/uninstalling software, etc.) and it works fine for me. No external utilities required. I don't even run an anti-virus program.

LOL. You don't run an anti virus program?
That speaks for itself.

Dec 27, 2003 at 8:36 AM Post #49 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Best bet for buying the iPod is to get a replacement warranty that will replace it when the battery dies.

-Ed

That is the best comment in this thread. I have a BestBuy 4 year warranty that started on a NJB3 that died, so I swapped it out for a 3G 30 gig iPod (I had to pay the price difference) and it had a wierd problem where it would turn itself off 2 or 3 times a day, so I swapped it out for a new 40 gig iPod. I still have 2 1/2 years left on the warranty, as the warranty transfers to whatever replacement devices you get.

Dec 27, 2003 at 9:00 AM Post #50 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by richpjr
That is the best comment in this thread. I have a BestBuy 4 year warranty that started on a NJB3 that died, so I swapped it out for a 3G 30 gig iPod (I had to pay the price difference) and it had a wierd problem where it would turn itself off 2 or 3 times a day, so I swapped it out for a new 40 gig iPod. I still have 2 1/2 years left on the warranty, as the warranty transfers to whatever replacement devices you get.

My Best Buy policy has also saved my ass a few times. Great investment in this case.

Dec 27, 2003 at 2:31 PM Post #51 of 78
Am I the only person that sees a *tremondous* flaw in your argument?

If you bought an iPod, why not just use it.. with... your.. laptop..?

I don't see this as a terribly hard thing to do, espically if your computers are networked and you can merely transfer music to your iPod over the network (If you're so computer savvy, this would be easy)

Also, windows 98 has compatibility issues with alot of things ,includding the 512MB of RAM barrier, and memory mismanagment. If you install more than 512MB of memory, it actually slows the system down. Don't believe me? Take two systems with 98SE. Load one up with 512MB, one with 640MB. See which one is faster.

Dec 28, 2003 at 1:06 PM Post #52 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by Fish Tank X
Am I the only person that sees a *tremondous* flaw in your argument?

If you bought an iPod, why not just use it.. with... your.. laptop..?

I don't see this as a terribly hard thing to do, espically if your computers are networked and you can merely transfer music to your iPod over the network (If you're so computer savvy, this would be easy)

Also, windows 98 has compatibility issues with alot of things ,includding the 512MB of RAM barrier, and memory mismanagment. If you install more than 512MB of memory, it actually slows the system down. Don't believe me? Take two systems with 98SE. Load one up with 512MB, one with 640MB. See which one is faster.

Laptop uses USB 1.1. iPod 2.0.

I use 764mb in WIN98SE. My Aquamark benchmark scores beat out many XP users with same videocard and CPU.

Buzzzzzz.... your out........
very_evil_smiley.gif

For all those trying to say I must change to USB 2.0 and WINXP, please take up donations to pay for it............. $250 ought to do it for new Motherboard and XP upgrade.

Dec 28, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #54 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by Hammerstein
Try this - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-013&depa=1

thank you! just buy a usb 2.0 CARD. if you must. and xp home doesnt cost an arm and a leg anymore.

oh yeah, can anyone say "dual boot?" that way you can keep all your legacy apps and still use the new stuff. but like i said earlier, win2k lets you keep your disks in fat32 and you can run programs in "compatability mode" which means all your old programs should work. i strongly suggest just trying to dual boot between win98se and win2k so you can try out win2k. worst comes to worst, you ditch win2k and you still have your old system right there. but then again you could have an epiphany and move on to win2k and be happy happy happy =D

Dec 28, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #55 of 78
Anyone looking for an USB 2.0 card: I was searching for one for my iPod (I purchased the USB/FireWire cable, decided I wanted to just get a FW card, but when I wanted to remove the cable from the order, I learned it had already shipped, so I want to put it to use) and at newegg.com I found this: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...pa=1&section=1

Dec 28, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #56 of 78
BTW, hasn't MS dropped support (aka those important security updates windows NEEDS) for 98?

Scott

Dec 29, 2003 at 5:11 AM Post #57 of 78
You all forget that running win2k3 server as a workstation > *

smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously though, this thread seems to have de-railed quite a bit. I know that 95 is EOL (End of Life), and I think 98 is EOL and 98SE is going to be EOL in 2004 or 2005.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Dec 29, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #58 of 78
A few points.

Windows 98 and 98 SE will enter their non-support phase in three weeks and reach their end of life phase a year after that. Check this site for details:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycleconsumer.mspx

Supporting Windows 98 shouldn't be a priority for any new product. The codebase is completely different from 2000/XP, requiring completely different drivers. It's not a good use of resources to support a nearly dead OS.

Upgrading to Windows XP and USB 2.0 would only cost you a USB 2.0 PCI card ($11.50 at newegg.com) and either an OEM copy of XP Home with that card (another $91.00) or the retail upgrade ($99 everywhere). That's far less than $250. And you can still dual boot if you really need to play specific games.

Not running an anti-virus software isn't an indictment of a lack of computer savvy. It shows that you know not to open virus infected files. I've been running without any virus checking software for years and I've never had an issue. You just have to be a little smart and not double click every attachment that finds its way under your mouse.

Jeff

Dec 30, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #59 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by jeffgeno
A few points.

Windows 98 and 98 SE will enter their non-support phase in three weeks and reach their end of life phase a year after that. Check this site for details:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycleconsumer.mspx

Supporting Windows 98 shouldn't be a priority for any new product. The codebase is completely different from 2000/XP, requiring completely different drivers. It's not a good use of resources to support a nearly dead OS.

Upgrading to Windows XP and USB 2.0 would only cost you a USB 2.0 PCI card ($11.50 at newegg.com) and either an OEM copy of XP Home with that card (another $91.00) or the retail upgrade ($99 everywhere). That's far less than $250. And you can still dual boot if you really need to play specific games.

Not running an anti-virus software isn't an indictment of a lack of computer savvy. It shows that you know not to open virus infected files. I've been running without any virus checking software for years and I've never had an issue. You just have to be a little smart and not double click every attachment that finds its way under your mouse.

Jeff

My slots are full. I only have a 3 slot mb. To get usb 2.0 I would have to get a new mb.

Not having virus software is not good. Email virus' can get in. Websites can get in. I have had both attack me but software caught it.

I have found drivers for XP for the RIO500. But why switch? I am quite happy with WIN98SE.

Like I said, $250?

Dec 30, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #60 of 78
Quote:

Originally posted by PYROTAK
just please stop this gay flame war about ipods and microsoft.

Oh, the irony.

Quote:

i format my computer every 2-3 months to keep it running top notch.

Amazing that people will put up with that. You shouldn't have to reformat your computer EVER. I've had to once in the past three years and was offended by the need to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back