Why high end headphones (and IEMs) are (mostly) hype.
Oct 6, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #136 of 144
In my 5 years at head-fi, No. The parts that hold the most weight in reviews for me are the iem comparisons.
It's usually the same 5-10 IEMs that everyone compares in their review. (At the TOTL level at least)
My reference is something completely different at this point, and personally going forward I would like to hear even more unique signatures, something that doesn't sound like anything I have heard so far, something far and away from the norm.....now that would be exciting :)

Oct 6, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #137 of 144
In my 5 years at head-fi, No. The parts that hold the most weight in reviews for me are the iem comparisons.

... and the source player to go with it. This is the 2nd factor that has the most weight for me.
reputable, seasoned reviewers got DAPs from budget to Totl & it is almost possible for the reader to mirror that thought into its own set.
Source players have their own "personalities" that heavily influence the sound output of the front end...

Oct 6, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #138 of 144
... and the source player to go with it. This is the 2nd factor that has the most weight for me.
reputable, seasoned reviewers got DAPs from budget to Totl & it is almost possible for the reader to mirror that thought into its own set.
Source players have their own "personalities" that heavily influence the sound output of the front end...
Some reviewers say source doesn't make any difference. Go figure...
I have seen reviews from some guys, well known on Head-fi, that review TOTL sets from 100 dollar Bluetooth receivers. And they are taken seriously, and have a following.

:) Sorry Don't want this to turn into a reviewer bashing thread. To each his own.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #139 of 144
Some reviewers say source doesn't make any difference. Go figure...
I have seen reviews from some guys, well known on Head-fi, that review TOTL sets from 100 dollar Bluetooth receivers. And they are taken seriously, and have a following.

:) Sorry Don't want this to turn into a reviewer bashing thread. To each his own.

That ain't right! LOLs, now that made my day. :gs1000smile: Good thing i'm not a follower...
...can't stop laughing right now :beerchug:

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #140 of 144

IEM comparisons are better than graphs to me....yet still subjective.

even some larger companies do this. i dont want to name names :p

The imaginary world of planned obsolescence where small teams of sound engineering folk and electrical engineering people sort out what improvements they will release a year in advance. A systematic train of products which somehow show momentarily split-second cutting edge improvements to revolutionize the listening experience.

The IEM or DAC you purchased 6 months ago has old technology hence 2nd rate and not respected. Yet who can blame this happenstance.........as it’s simply progress into a world unknown and alien!

The fact that there is even a status and an egotistical alpha-role in obtaining the latest elite level of production; basically making the rest of the 6-month-old-owners second-rate-citizens in their very own town.

The lust after another small level of improvement if it’s really even there or not. Just the hope, the curiosity fueled to be in the club and part of a small select group basking in this new profound glory brought-on by a tiny credit card ding. :wink:

The fact that the look changes and becomes more evocative like shoes or the style of car front ends. The smell of the box when it arrives and that clean shine and plastic smell; they must spray that on like some kind of endorphin creating animal mating scent? There is a new high in emotion as just the placebo of pure expectation bias makes stuff sound way better. Shine seems to add treble, gold knobs add authority? Bigger gold knobs add even more authority.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #142 of 144
Here's the latest car analogy I stumbled upon recently, if anyone is into that: Somewhat similar topic and perspective on reviewers and 'influencers'. A lot of that is also taking place here, of course.

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #143 of 144
It's usually the same 5-10 IEMs that everyone compares in their review. (At the TOTL level at least)
My reference is something completely different at this point, and personally going forward I would like to hear even more unique signatures, something that doesn't sound like anything I have heard so far, something far and away from the norm.....now that would be exciting :)
Unique signatures?
Obravo eamt and Piano forte x-g

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #144 of 144
The best reviews have you kind of know they are telling the truth. They will go around some of the bad points but in a way that doesn't have to be critical to get the reality across. So..........they may have keyed into some aspects that you can relate to. Then you know it's true because they are taking about concepts that you already understand. They will describe some stuff that makes you curious. Reviews should simply generate curiosity. Then on the demo you find if there is anything they missed or find out there are descriptions which may not coincide with your understanding of the IEM. Reviews can be misleading, especially if they are simply to generate advertising or ARE advertising. But I know of a reviewer which loves this $200 IEM and has talked about it often. I may have a different idea about the same IEM. At that point I realize that they simply value a different sound signature than I. They are sincere but have different taste.

A demo will tell you what was correct for you about the review. But hopefully the reviewer made you emotional to the point of getting into the demo seat. That's their job; to get people to try stuff by correctly conveying concepts and ideas.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back