Why Ebay WHY!?
Dec 8, 2008 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
MERC-0208_Static-Male_Tech-613x290.jpg

How much did Bose pay for this...front effin homepage of ebay.com .....
frown.gif

A blow for public awareness of good headphones.

Dec 8, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 16
I am not convinced Bose paid anything. Ebay wants to fuel transactions taking place and Bose is currently the best selling so-called high-end headphone. People want them. By advertising auctions taking place, they facilitate a larger number of transactions taking place.

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 16
I am with 'juniperlater' on that I don't think BOSE paid them anything.
It most probably just eBay who market their best selling headphones, to sell even more of them. Cause to the regular man out there have a different opinion about BOSE than most of us do...

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, Bose is for the masses. Anyone sophisticated runs a few searches before buying - we all know where that will take them.

If I had not researched them I would be a proud owner of a set of tri-ports now. Coming from really bad headphones, the Bose sounded fantastic when I tried them at Target. But luckily I research nearly every thing before buying.

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 16
The TriPort look like $2 store headphones to me. I've never understood their appeal. Is the $2-made-of-creaky-plastic look in now or something?

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 16
I also agree eBay is probably trying to promote sales with showing the Bose headphones and could care less (or have no clue) about audio quality. The fact is that most people have very little experience with headphones (including myself). However, as Uncle Erik said, anyone who spends some time (even a little time) searching Bose will at the very least find out they are highly criticized.

Personally, it bothers me how Bose works as a company. I think that's why they are so highly debated. They try to give an impression of the best of the best when they truly are not. If they didn't, I don't think there would be so many people that hate them (that and had a reasonable price). It's my belief that people like them because they haven't experienced anything better and don't understand the difference between artificial and initially exciting sound versus real transparent sound that lets you focus on the music and not the speakers/headphones. Most people, in the long term, will prefer the second one.

It's like the first time you got to drive dad's car. Sure, it's only a Dodge Stratus, but it way more fun than riding your bike places (Bose vs commonly included phones). It's only when you discover better that you'll understand.

The same thing happened with me for home audio. I owned a pair for Cerwin Vega RE30s. To me, they were awesome...they sound much better than many out there and the price was great. Then I bought into the Klipsch Reference series. The Cerwins sold pretty fast after that. Basically the Cerwins were fun (for some types of music) but the Klipsch blew them out of the water and only then was I able to start appreciating sound quality.

Last, I don't know how anyone would buy the TriPorts solely on the build quality!

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Eh, Bose is for the masses. Anyone sophisticated runs a few searches before buying - we all know where that will take them.

redface.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 16
ah i remember the first time i heard/seen bose. it was in target in 2005. i was working in electronics there n wondered why the headphones were so expensive. i listened to the demo there for a little while and came away still pondering the same question lol. conversely after i listened to the SE530s for the first time i knew why they were so expensive.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Eh, Bose is for the masses.

Otherwise known as normal people. Headphones do not make us special, they make us crazy.

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The TriPort look like $2 store headphones to me. I've never understood their appeal. Is the $2-made-of-creaky-plastic look in now or something?

Yeah, its probably in now.
No surprise really, all the advertising BOSE put out these days...

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know my parents believe Bose is high end and my friends think I am crazy for spending more money when I could get bose...

A tip: Get them to listen to your headphones. Honestly. It's the best thing you can do for them to change their opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back