Why Don't You People Care About Audio Quality First?
May 9, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #16 of 77
"Why Don't You People Care About Audio Quality First?"

Might I suggest that you consider a thread title that is a bit less inflammatory? Particularly so when even a cursory reading of posts around these parts would suggest that quite the opposite is true.

May 9, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #17 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
"Why Don't You People Care About Audio Quality First?"

Might I suggest that you consider a thread title that is a bit less inflammatory? Particularly so when even a cursory reading of posts around these parts would suggest that quite the opposite is true.

or is he saying this isn't as active as the headphones forum?

May 9, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #18 of 77
Honestly, it's all so subjective, too. I've had plenty of compliments on the look of my K701s, and I persoanlly find them to be nice. I also don't think the K1000s are quite as ugly as some say by themselves, though they do look ridiculous when you're wearing them. I also think overly shiny things often look a bit ridiculous. Obnoxious "bling" doesn't appeal to me. I think the Corda Aria on the other hand is done tastefully, and is gorgeous, as are many of VPI's turntables. I'm big on black and white contrasts myself. The Qualia is stunning too. But then there's reviews like Patu's who thinks the D02 is absolutely stunning; some people like mirror finishes. Anyway, point is it's all subjective, and accusing audiophiles in general is hard when none of us agree on which look we like best. I mean, look at the Orpheus; it's serviceably good looking, but certainly not 'gorgeous' by any means.

May 9, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #19 of 77
I don't believe that people don't care about SQ, I would say that people here are obsessed with SQ but one possible reason could be that SQ is so subjective where as people can usually agree on build quality if not aesthetics.

May 9, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #20 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hershon2000
I'm hoping someone can educate me here & I'm not trying to be sarcastic or criticising people, but why is it that the majority of posts I seem to read here & on other forums as well, seem to be more concerned with build & apprearence as opposed to if its an improvement on audio sound from your previous equipment? I just don't get it. Maybe some one can clue me in what I''m missing when I read these posts. In regards to build- who cares- what is the likelyhood that your going to drop it & break it? As long as its in a secure place it should last. The only thing analogy I can perceive is its like people who collect rare records but have never played the record.

There is more to build quality than how the case is constructed. There are electronic bits inside the shiny cases that have to be built too.

Better build = better parts and more careful assembly = better sound.

May 9, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #21 of 77
Quote:

In regards to build- who cares- what is the likelyhood that your going to drop it & break it? As long as its in a secure place it should last.

Are you suggesting that the only way that a piece of electronic equipment can fail is if it is dropped and broken?

May 9, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #22 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20
There is more to build quality than how the case is constructed. There are electronic bits inside the shiny cases that have to be built too.

Better build = better parts and more careful assembly = better sound.

It's important when people talk of build quality whether they are referring to the shininess of the case, the attractiveness of looking at the electronics, and things like that, or if they are referring to stuff like solder joints and the laying out of the wires to minimize problems. I think the second part is much more important.

I don't think people usually include part selection as part of build quality, but it could be just me.

May 9, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #23 of 77
I really do wonder whether Hershon2000 is teasing here. I'm quite new, but have lurked for a while (particularly in the headphone and amp forums), and find the views informative and very SQ focussed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E
of Head-fiers valuing sound over appearance come immediately to mind.

Consider our feeding frenzy regarding
  1. the Zhaolu DAC
  2. the AKG K701

WHAAATTTT?
eek.gif
I've not yet seen them in the flesh, but I think the K701s look gorgeous!

May 9, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #24 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
Well, I take that back.
This was pretty bling.
kumaamp3.jpg

Wow John and Kuma...nice work..very sleek and demanding of attention..dripping with class those tubes look yaaaa-ummy!

May 9, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #25 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calsdad
I really do wonder whether Hershon2000 is teasing here. I'm quite new, but have lurked for a while (particularly in the headphone and amp forums), and find the views informative and very SQ focussed.

WHAAATTTT?
eek.gif
I've not yet seen them in the flesh, but I think the K701s look gorgeous!

x2 I have the K701s, K1000s as two of the most gorgeous open headphones

May 10, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #26 of 77
Quote:

I'm hoping someone can educate me here & I'm not trying to be sarcastic or criticising people, but why is it that the majority of posts I seem to read here & on other forums as well, seem to be more concerned with build & apprearence as opposed to if its an improvement on audio sound from your previous equipment? I just don't get it.

Just my opinion -- a lot of stuff sounds more similar than different these days, so that's why build and appearance become so important. "Bling factor" has always been important in audiophilia, but modern CD players and amps sound more alike than different (i.e. differences are subtle), thus there's more emphasis on looks than there was in the 1970s and previous.

May 10, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #28 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
See what I mean?
biggrin.gif

I now use this. Far from bling but sounds better.

Just a question of taste - personally, I find the puristic Bauhaus-like approach much more attratively blingy than most of that chrome-blinking stuff...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 11, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #29 of 77
Quote:

I'm hoping someone can educate me here & I'm not trying to be sarcastic or criticising people, but why is it that the majority of posts I seem to read here & on other forums as well, seem to be more concerned with build & apprearence as opposed to if its an improvement on audio sound from your previous equipment? I just don't get it. Maybe some one can clue me in what I''m missing when I read these posts. In regards to build- who cares- what is the likelyhood that your going to drop it & break it? As long as its in a secure place it should last. The only thing analogy I can perceive is its like people who collect rare records but have never played the record.

If we cared so much about build quality,then why do so many of us buy Grados?
wink.gif

May 11, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #30 of 77
Oi I love Naim compoents. Looke very bling in their black and green. The problem is that most of us aren't the sole masters of our domain. I wouldn't upgrade something without a boost in sound quality. But since my bedroom theme is oak black and stainless, and the rest of my hifi is black plexiglass that electrocompaniet uses on all their products I can't for instance put in a bright purple Rega P3 regardless of how good it sounds.

No worries though I bought a black one
wink.gif

I couldn't care less about the best sound in the world if it's not stylish and doesn't fit in gracefully with my decor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back