Why don't women like Headphones
Nov 9, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #61 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also I should add, that being an engineering student I love and appreciate techy girls.

and it tends to be those types that are the least understanding and most critical of my mobile system (...what? its just an A829 and C751k's, I don't have an addiction, I swear
ksc75smile.gif
)

generally because they want to be preachy about how they're "4.0 honors students who have never done anything bad in their life and aren't stupid enough to waste money..." (blah blah blah blah blah blah)

and for reference, I don't mean engineering students, I mean female engineering students
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #62 of 145
I know I shouldnt generalise but there are a lot more men into more geeky and technological things like cars or stereos its not to say that females dont like them its just that there are more men into them than females.

This is quite possibly due to the way boys and girls are brought up without being sexist girls are generally bought up playing with dolls, makeup, playing with their mums jewellery and helping out in the kitchen (dont hurt me
smily_headphones1.gif
) and doing things that are seen as being more feminine. In contrast boys are brought up playing with little army figurines, matchbox cars and more recently computer games and other forms of technology. With boys being brought up with technology at a much earlier age they would be more accepting and interested in technology and thus thats why you find many more males into technology/cars/stereos etc.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #63 of 145
I was brought up helping in the kitchen, playing with dolls/action figures (ALL my star wars guys, except boba fett, will never risk the fett man (been waiting for AGES to use that line out of context, hahaha)), playing video games (I'm from the Learning Company generation though, so things like Midnight Madness, SimCity (the original), Dr Brain, SimTower, Myst, Flight Simulator, Star Wars DF II, etc), and various other "kid things"

the point being, I was given technology AND non-technology as a kid, and chose the technology route, even with pressure to pick another route, so honestly I think its really just a person-by-person thing, to say upbringing determines it, isn't quite fair

yes, girls are brought up differently, no, I wasn't raised as a girl, but I also wasn't raised as a stereotype, the point is, in this thread we're more or less saying its girls who hate technology/headphones/whatever, in reality its most people, for whatever reason they may have, its just that girls/women are usually much more vocal because (ready?) boys are generally raised to internalize things (OH NO I DIDNT!)

4:30 AM posting FTW.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #64 of 145
I might have been a bit rushed in saying that upbringing is the sole determining factor, I also should have added social expectations. Generally(and i stress generally) boys are brought up with a lot more exposure to technology and society expects them to be a lot more open to technology and tech savy however for females its almost taboo to be extremely tech savy. Though society is always changing and this stereotype is beginning to disappear."

Edit: Another thing with social expectations is that society expect males and females to be into different things eg females are "expected" to be into fashion, make up while men are "expected" to be into things like sport, cars, technology. This isnt saying that males and females can only be into the above, its just the way the different genders are portrayed in the media and society this then impacts the hobbies of males/females.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #65 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Smoking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might have been a bit rushed in saying that upbringing is the sole determining factor, I also should have added social expectations. Generally(and i stress generally) boys are brought up with a lot more exposure to technology and society expects them to be a lot more open to technology and tech savy however for females its almost taboo to be extremely tech savy. Though society is always changing and this stereotype is beginning to disappear."

I entirely agree, except for the last little bit (might wanna eye my location before you jump on me)

basically boys are taught that they're supposed to be white collar engineers and bankers, and girls are the pink collar support labor force, and honestly I don't see that changing hardly at all (probably a good half of the females in engineering (At least here) are out of nation, and of the remainder, a good piece of them are tomboys or out of state, i'm gonna let the reader decide if I'm trashing on Utah, the United States, or world culture
beerchug.gif
)

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #66 of 145
Look -- it all goes back to cave-dweller times -- men went out with their clubs and spears to kill something to eat -- he drags it back to the cave, where the woman then prepares it and cooks it in the relative safety of the cave, while the guy goes out to kill something else.

Many times, guys get chased by some animal that was bigger and tougher (and now madder, and hungry, to boot) than he was able to kill, and ran for safety into the nearest cave -- in the cave was 1 or 2 or even 3 other guys that were chased there, too, and they had "guy talk" and compared their clubs and spears, and got other new ideas for stuff -- sometimes they even traded implements with each other for a tryout. Then, when whatever chased them, finally leaves, they all go back to their caves, where their woman demands to know "where have you been all this time?" and also, "what the heck is that stupid thing you are carrying? Where is your club/spear? Traded? Are you nuts? You already HAVE two other spears, already! -- Okay, if you think it's so great, then go out and kill something else now, before we starve And besides, the woman in the next cave has a better fur than I am wearing -- go get ME one like that!"
And so it goes up until now -- women still prefer to collect shoes, clothes, or other look-good things, and guys still prefer to collect headphones, cars and other have-fun things!
Some things never change. Never has. Never will.
Anthropology class is now dismissed for the day.....
wink.gif
beerchug.gif
tongue.gif
L3000.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #67 of 145
I think it has a lot to do with headphones and their ability to mess up your hair quite a bit. Most girls have much longer hair than guys, so it is a major inconvenience for them. That's why my girlfriend prefers her pk3's or clip-on style phones.

Nov 9, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #69 of 145
Women may not like headphones, but they find a man wearing a pair of Grado 325i's simply irresistable. Ever since I got my Grado 325i's, I've turned into a babe magnet much to my wife's chagrin. BTW, when my wife and I have sex, she insists that I wear my AKG 701's. I in turn suggest that she wear her Yuin PK2's. Yowser!

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #70 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Women may not like headphones, but they find a man wearing a pair of Grado 325i's simply irresistable. Ever since I got my Grado 325i's, I've turned into a babe magnet much to my wife's chagrin. BTW, when my wife and I have sex, she insists that I wear my AKG 701's. I in turn suggest that she wear her Yuin PK2's. Yowser!

I'm not whether I should be happy for you, or just disturbed. I'm leaning towards disturbed I think.
darthsmile.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #71 of 145
yeah, girls are just so weird and stupid.. they all just want shoes. But really, no idea. All my girl friends think I'm crazy. Hell even my boyfriend doesn't get it. As I've said before I've been a techie my whole life and I have no idea where I'd be without all my electronic toys and video games but I don't know any girls who are even close to as interested in technology and gear as I am.

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #72 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look -- it all goes back to cave-dweller times -- men went out with their clubs and spears to kill something to eat -- he drags it back to the cave, where the woman then prepares it and cooks it in the relative safety of the cave, while the guy goes out to kill something else.

And it lives on generation after generation.

"We teach our daughters to nest and our sons to fly"

Men hunting and women cooking goes way deeper than this -- it is all about reproductive capital: not wasting it. Way back in the primitive mind (that includes all of us) there is only one goal: have enough children so that some survive to take care of you when you are old, and so that the species continues. Anyone not so disposed dies off more easily and loses influence in the gene pool; therefore this idea is self-enforcing ala Darwin. Gets stronger over time.

Women have to stay in the cave while they carry children during the nine months of pregnancy, and that is dangerous since tigers can eat them, so they need the man who cares about these children to be a good warrior, which is why an althetic build in a man is sexy, but so is a man that will return home at night (to guard the entrance to the cave) and not spend his time at night sleeping with other women. Hence women want strong men, but men that are not "players", and those are the ones they will allow to impregnate them (marry, in other words).

Men want women who will in fact bear them children, give birth without damage to the infant, and raise (suckle) them well, so we look for breasts and hips, expecially the hourglass shape -- best possible mothers (our primitive brain says).

This plays out every night in pick-up spots all over the world. "He's cute, and a keeper" "Wow, she's got some body".

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #75 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wavoman, new evidence has proven the 'man hunts while women stay at home' theory to be more myth than reality. Men and women in primitive times hunted prey together.

Hunter-Gatherer Wiki: Sexual Division of Labor

Let me guess, you're a feminist ;-]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back