Why don't women like Headphones
Nov 7, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #31 of 145
Hey men stop the women dissing already. Um... Isnt this just a bit generalizing... I think this has nothing to do with being a male or a female. I am a female and i love headphones. And I also like computers, just not dismantling them. My family thinks I am crazy though with my hifi hobby and thats girls AND guys. Geez is this forum all-male or what?
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #32 of 145
True, it's not related to men or women since there are lot of guys out there that can't stand headphones. Actually, they don't like certain headphones (cause there are different types) like "Circumaural". Yet they might use Canalphones or Earbuds, with there portable audio player or mobile phone.It's all based an preferences not the gender of a person.

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #33 of 145
I reckon that Anouk and Germania for instance are a few hard-core exceptions on the rule, that men are overall more into audio than women. Whether it has to do with headphones or a new amp, for example. It has to do with $$$ and a lot of it! Most women, due to culture or personal interest rather spend their $$$ on clothing or whatever they spend it on. It sounds cliche, and yes it cliche..but it's the plain truth.
Of course not all guys are into audio as much as let's say your average Head-Fier, but the majority who are into audio are guys. With a few girls/ladies as an exception.

Nov 7, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #34 of 145
Why are all headphone people sexist?
tongue.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #35 of 145
Hey , I said "Why don't women like Headphones". I didnt say "why Dont ALL women like headphones". Its to be read as worded as a generalization. Its true on that basis. If you don't think its true in general, then your wrong.
Still, I apologise to nayone who may have been offended, becuase with just adding one word- "MOST ", as in "Why don't "MOST" women like headphones, I could have probably avoided any undue backlash.
Still, somone always comes along and says "alot of guys don't like headphones either..blah blah.."
Hey, when I post in a headphone forum, Im talking to guys ( and girls..but guys, mostly) that like headphones. Why discusss guys who dont like headphones, right?
I'm talking about why women do not in general not like headphones to the same direct proportion of the population as guys? Got it? good.
Now, The post itself was kind of me grabbing for attention, cause I knew it would get some responces over other strictly gear related posts i made, so in that sence it was kind of stupid. Also, I should have reaslised tis had been probably brought up before, so there wasnt any point in it.
Just call it a dumb thread and we can proceed from that point , eh?
I doubt i will make any sensitive or dumb posts like this again. Boredom got the best of me.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #36 of 145
I actually tried answering your question with this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe they don't care too much for better sound quality. Maybe those people still care about the music. Whether music is played through the crappiest speakers in the world or a HE90 doesn't matter that much for some people. Women (on average) have a higher emotional intelligence quotient than men. Since I think that music is about emotion, maybe they just don't need the extra bit of fidelity to be able to enjoy it.

It's not a dumb thing to ask yourself in my opinion. It is indeed a fact that there are more men than women around here. (or women posing as men - who knows ) There have been similar threads however.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #37 of 145
They'd rather have sweet nothings whispered in their ears? Is joke.

But seriously, my wife will grudgingly use the DAP/canalphones I gave her for travel (to keep out the sounds of crying babies and annoying conversation). Other than that, she thinks spending more than $30 on headphones is idiotic (making me an idiot). My teenage daughter, another story. The next generation of women are more inclined to don headphones. Of course, they will be the ones with more serious hearing problems later in life.

Biggest problem for young women today, they love shoes, handbags, designer clothes AND headphones! Ouch.

Here's a related question. How come you never see a woman sticking her head inside one of those huge speaker towers at a concert (a sight I saw many times in the 70s and 80s, when I went to big shows)? Because they are the more intelligent gender, no doubt.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #38 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I gave her for travel (to keep out the sounds of crying babies and annoying conversation). Other than that, she thinks spending more than $30 on headphones is idiotic (making me an idiot).

Haha, I laughed a lot while reading this, Tom
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #39 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey men stop the women dissing already. Um... Isnt this just a bit generalizing... I think this has nothing to do with being a male or a female. I am a female and i love headphones. And I also like computers, just not dismantling them. My family thinks I am crazy though with my hifi hobby and thats girls AND guys. Geez is this forum all-male or what?
Greetings, Anouk,

Haha, I know how it feels.

I'm been on a female-dominated internet forum (yes, FEMALE dominated) and yeah, the are threads like 'Men are so stupid' and sweeping generalisations about men on there as well so the generalisations aren't just done by men!

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #40 of 145
based on my experience, to say that 80% of women "dont like headphones", is true, although if you're gonna say that, continue it along with "and roughly 79% of men are right there with them"

people I encounter daily, the majority of them, are just technophobic, or uninterested, its just that interest is slightly tipped towards men (for whatever reason)

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #41 of 145
To be fair, I know a lot of men who don't appreciate headphones because they can't understand why anyone would spend any money on anything other than ski equipment. Everyone has that thing that they spend money on... it might just be that Men's "things" are more often placed in the realm of electronics, while women have a wider variety of money-sinks.

I think that it probably is fair to say that there are more men who enjoy headphones than women, but I wouldn't go anywhere near as far as to generalize to all women, or to place a value judgment on specific purchases.

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #42 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by gideonMorrison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I reckon that Anouk and Germania for instance are a few hard-core exceptions on the rule, that men are overall more into audio than women. Whether it has to do with headphones or a new amp, for example. It has to do with $$$ and a lot of it! Most women, due to culture or personal interest rather spend their $$$ on clothing or whatever they spend it on. It sounds cliche, and yes it cliche..but it's the plain truth.
Of course not all guys are into audio as much as let's say your average Head-Fier, but the majority who are into audio are guys. With a few girls/ladies as an exception.

I, basically agree with myself.

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #43 of 145
Ive had a friend that wanted to borrow my RS1 because she said they looked 'cute' on her.... which was true.
Although this thread does generalize, I think the original poster is just having some fun :-b

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #44 of 145
There are annual Head-Fi international meetings and many local meeting, I just started this hobby and haven't been to any of the meeting...

I am just curious how many laddies showed up in those meeting?

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #45 of 145
Cause they care more about how they look than the average male...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back