Why don't the AKG K271's get more love? + AKG K240 and AKG K271 chart comparison( page 2)
Jun 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

ihearnoises1981

New Head-Fier
hi i'm somewhat new to this hifi website but i've been a long time audiophile(27 years to be exact) since i got extremely inclined and interested in audio when i was 15 and i decided to join the audiophile bandwagon.
back on topic, the akg k271 is always looked down on 240 owners and also non owners, i think this is because people don't actually burn them in for they need a FULL 200 hours of burn in(50 hours does NOT get the job done) and need to be done, or at least i prefer to do it having white, and pink noise also with 2 frequency sweeps all running at the same time. i read multiple forums and apparently no one actually burns them in for the rights hours and burning them in with bad sources and just with music and don't even had a amp to listen to them. i'm not naive of what goes around about the k271 and i don't think the k240's are better and yes i have them as well and they are burned in. the 240's definitely sound better out of the box yes, but when you burn them in both properly it's a COMPLETELY different ball park. people say that they have thin weak bass and are very anemic BUT it COMPLETELY changes with a proper burn in, when the low frequencies hit they actually shake a bit on my head, and people say that they lack dynamics, but with a burn in it  again COMPLETELY changes, the mids and the bass and the highs are all very impulsive and abrasive i find even guitars and vocals rumble my cans when i'm listening to them, people also say the mids are weak but i find with a burn in it sounds so sweet and impulsive and just the right amount of destiny and fullness so it doesn't seem fat or impair you when your at work with these cans and the upper mid range is stellar and quite coarse and abbrasive and overall they are very well tied together. it got SUBSTANTIALLY louder i can even listen to it on my ipod classic 5gen and are now capable of high volumes and overall is probably  2-3x louder than out of the box. i like them better than my 240's because the imaging is a lot better and instrument separation is a lot better also and over all is more accurate and percise, i also find the 240's a bit too dynamic and impulsive in the lower frequencies and some of the lower mids at times whereas the 271's has a broadband dynamic range that is dynamic through most sections of the frequency whereas the 240's focalize the lower frequencies in terms of dynamics, i also like them more because the 240's at times seem a bit more loose and a tad bit more recessed in the upper mid range and highs when compared to the 271's which congest more and have more of a striking and vocal and more coarse and abbrasive upper mid range and more accurate and resolute highs and definitely throws away any feeling of a recessed upper midrange and highs and overall they seem to be more acurate and more tight sounding if you will, but not piercing or shrill in anyway. i also find the lows are more extended and more full as well as more detailed sounding and very controlled, but do have a weaker bass response and less of a punch yes, but definitely are FAR more controlled and detailed and fuller than the 240's and overall more proficient, also the mid range is a bit fat and a bit bloated on the 240's, but the 271's holds back a little just so it's enjoyable and has more definition and are bit more audible but overall they both sound similar in terms of the mid range. i find the 271's fixes the sound in your head more and lets you focus on all the sounds and does not bury any sounds so nearly everything will be conceived and heard with superior audible -ness ,rather than grabbing your attention away from what you want to hear and focus and work with, they are also more honest, less coloured , and more neautral and the imaging fixes all the sounds in your head very well, and allows you to see what's going on which the 240's are inferior of the 271's when it comes to this. i feel the 240's only really lean to the "musical" side but the 271's lean to both a musical and a profiecent side and that's why i like them more since they can perform both at cutting and editing as well as critical listening and since i prefer to not just have a just "musical" headphone and open back set of cans. and oh yah i also did a small mod again VERY small mod, which is where you just take them mesh out of the ear cup (this can be done with both the 271 and the 240) and overall increases volume and is a bit more sterile and revealing, and it makes the highs and upper mid range more emphatic and noticable and overall quite effective and definitely is vital improvement but it is a little less comfertable NOTE: if you want to do this mod, DO NOT pull the mesh off right away if you want to put them back, so what you do to take them off is you peel slowly by the sticker which keeps it there and NOT BY THE MESH OR PADS THEMSELVES or else you won't be able to put them back on properly unless you glue or tape it there yourself that is. overall i do like them equally since they are quite different

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 27
The AKG K271 sound great, fairly flat... but I just fell in love with the open Sennheiser HD700 which I can listen to for days, not hours...

AKG K271 on the other hand, are another story... won't last an hour on my head.

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 27
What are you talking about? I'm saying these headphones will make me cut off my ears, because of the pain.

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 27
it's a commitment headphone give it some time to show you what it got, i was EXACTLY like you and i too preferred my other headphones over the akg( sens 600, sony cd900st,sony mdr r10 and many more), you won't experience what i am if you don't burn them in nor will you experience a good time with them

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 27
I have had a 271 and a 271 mk2 version. I think they are more of a professional's headphone, the average listener would find them pretty flat and boring. Even a hardcore headfi-er (like me) would gravitate more to the akg open headphones

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 27
and why is that? i have all the k70x including the 601 and the 240 all open, including my 271's and 550's and i still don't lean towards any side having most of their closed and open backs, YES at first the open backs WILL sound better and have more things to corroborate with, but the closed backs need some time to shine and will and directly compare to their open backs, and sometimes i actually like them better, for they are more striking and vocal and imaging is better and alot less cluttered and more neutral, they JUST need time for you to see what they can do and they need to be burned in for the right hours and properly, YES the open backs do sound better out of the box, but when the closed backs are burned in properly and given sometime to shine... they practically are neck to neck and sometimes shine brighter than my open backs do

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:
and why is that? i have all the k70x including the 601 and the 240 all open, including my 271's and 550's and i still don't lean towards any side having most of their closed and open backs, YES at first the open backs WILL sound better and have more things to corroborate with, but the closed backs need some time to shine and will and directly compare to their open backs, and sometimes i actually like them better, for they are more striking and vocal and imaging is better and alot less cluttered and more neutral, they JUST need time for you to see what they can do and they need to be burned in for the right hours and properly, YES the open backs do sound better out of the box, but when the closed backs are burned in properly and given sometime to shine... they practically are neck to neck and sometimes shine brighter than my open backs do

yeah I somewhat agree with you but it's not just burning them in.
I think the k271 really NEEDS to be amped to REALLY shine. 
without an amp it just sounds bleh, unexciting, unimpressive, just average flat boring sound. 
It might depend on the amp as well, with the E17 it does sound better but it doesn't make me crave for the sound.
I've owned the headphone for half a year now and I just started to love it when I paired it with the Aune T1 with 6922EH tube.
With the T1, the soundstage just became way more spacious, the vocals became much more lush and sweet, the bass is tight and controlled but not lacking in presence. It's just..... wow.
When i'm away from home, I look forward to coming back and just sit and listen to songs with the pair. Honestly I've never had this feeling before.

I would still get the k240 in addition in the future though just to compliment the 271 as it has a warmer, bassier tone.

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:
yeah I somewhat agree with you but it's not just burning them in.
I think the k271 really NEEDS to be amped to REALLY shine. 
without an amp it just sounds bleh, unexciting, unimpressive, just average flat boring sound. 
It might depend on the amp as well, with the E17 it does sound better but it doesn't make me crave for the sound.
I've owned the headphone for half a year now and I just started to love it when I paired it with the Aune T1 with 6922EH tube.
With the T1, the soundstage just became way more spacious, the vocals became much more lush and sweet, the bass is tight and controlled but not lacking in presence. It's just..... wow.
When i'm away from home, I look forward to coming back and just sit and listen to songs with the pair. Honestly I've never had this feeling before.

I would still get the k240 in addition in the future though just to compliment the 271 as it has a warmer, bassier tone.

i do consider the 240's a bit warmer, due to the extra ambience the open back design offers, but they are a bit wooly and muddy and overall just uncontrolled and sometimes just Too warm and Too full, further leading to burying things in the mix, while the 271's are more proficient( due to previously stated reasons) and after the burn in(200 hours) they are considered quite warm and they also have a better sense of control and separation , i have burned my 271 and 240's in for 200 hours with the both of the meshes off and amped by a red wine cassabria and a woo audio WA6 so yeah i do have the juice :wink:, the amp does make a PHENOMENAL difference. IMO fiio's and akg's do NOT pair well together, so that may be why you left unimpressed (i HATE fiio amps). But HEY, lets not point at the amp all the time, this is only a 55 ohms headphone, it does not need a FAT amount of power, and is loud enough even through an iPod, WHEN burned in, i think the burn in is BY FAR more important than the amp that drives it, for this particular case anyway since it is just a 55 ohms headphone if you think the opposite, you have not burned in either of your AKG's properly. Although the 271's are a bit more bright, and it seems like i'm leaning towards the 271's, I AM NOT a treble head or enthusiast, i actually prefer a warmer sound and I'm a complete SUCKER for a good sweet mid range, but i still strive for more proficient cans, and i'd rather have a more musical and proficient, not just a musical headphone all around, since i am using these cans for projects (cutting and editing) as well my personal recreation

P.S a "Flat" FR spectrum is actually a good thing...... you just dissed legendary headphone, speaker, and amp companies such as sennheiser , sony, beyerdynamic , audeze, stax, bowers and wikins, KEF, JBL, thiel, mcintosh, bryston , EVEN AKG (i could go on....) and never EVER EVER pair fiio amps with AKG's EVER!!!! and dare to tell people how it sounded, it is just too misleading and inaccurate and VERY VERY unfair to AKG headphones

i will also be doing a comparison chart on this thread, check it out

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

i do consider the 240's a bit warmer, due to the extra ambience the open back design offers, but they are a bit wooly and muddy and overall just uncontrolled and sometimes just Too warm and Too full, further leading to burying things in the mix, while the 271's are more proficient( due to previously stated reasons) and after the burn in(200 hours) they are considered quite warm and they also have a better sense of control and separation , i have burned my 271 and 240's in for 200 hours with the both of the meshes off and amped by a red wine cassabria and a woo audio WA6 so yeah i do have the juice :wink:, the amp does make a PHENOMENAL difference. IMO fiio's and akg's do NOT pair well together, so that may be why you left unimpressed (i HATE fiio amps). But HEY, lets not point at the amp all the time, this is only a 55 ohms headphone, it does not need a FAT amount of power, and is loud enough even through an iPod, WHEN burned in, i think the burn in is BY FAR more important than the amp that drives it, for this particular case anyway since it is just a 55 ohms headphone if you think the opposite, you have not burned in either of your AKG's properly. Although the 271's are a bit more bright, and it seems like i'm leaning towards the 271's, I AM NOT a treble head or enthusiast, i actually prefer a warmer sound and I'm a complete SUCKER for a good sweet mid range, but i still strive for more proficient cans, and i'd rather have a more musical and proficient, not just a musical headphone all around, since i am using these cans for projects (cutting and editing) as well my personal recreation

P.S a "Flat" FR spectrum is actually a good thing...... you just dissed legendary headphone, speaker, and amp companies such as sennheiser , sony, beyerdynamic , audeze, stax, bowers and wikins, KEF, JBL, thiel, mcintosh, bryston , EVEN AKG (i could go on....) and never EVER EVER pair fiio amps with AKG's EVER!!!! and dare to tell people how it sounded, it is just too misleading and inaccurate and VERY VERY unfair to AKG headphones

i will also be doing a comparison chart on this thread, check it out

I didn't mean to diss flat FR haha
i know it's good. It's just that when i first got the K271 it sounded very plain like eating white bread without anything. 

I look forward to the comparison.

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #13 of 27
The K272/K271 aren't bad at all. Most other sub-$200 closed-backs have something off to them. Weird midrange, or spiky treble, or comfort issues... if you want a no-nonsense, neutral-sounding, comfortable, durable headphones, you can't go wrong with the K272's.

But it's the godawful pads. Combined with the little clamping pressure, they seal very poorly on my ears, leading to complete bass loss. I'm thinking of getting another one to try the mad dog or K550 pads on them to improve the seal.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:
The K272/K271 aren't bad at all. Most other sub-$200 closed-backs have something off to them. Weird midrange, or spiky treble, or comfort issues... if you want a no-nonsense, neutral-sounding, comfortable, durable headphones, you can't go wrong with the K272's.

But it's the godawful pads. Combined with the little clamping pressure, they seal very poorly on my ears, leading to complete bass loss. I'm thinking of getting another one to try the mad dog or K550 pads on them to improve the seal.

Yeah I agree, the pads are indeed awful....... even something far cheaper like the CAL! fits a lot more comfortably.
The K550 themselves from reading other reviews seem to have fit issues. apparently it's too big and caused bass loss so you might not want to get them since the smaller 271 doesn't even fit you.
On the other hang the mad dog pads... according to the OP of this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/655333/k271s-with-dog-pads-match-made-in-heaven#post_9646872, seem to be a perfect match with the 271/272.
I personally haven't tried any other pads but i'm just saying that the mad dogs might be better based on what i've read

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 27
Eh, I have 271S ... Just dry, bassless and boring headphone it is. Probably good for some kinds of studio work. I used them with +6db eq on bass ... but that made them yawn like unhappy mushroom. I hope all Akgs are not similar. Would like to try 712.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back