Why doesn't everyone here have AKG K1000?
Jul 31, 2005 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Patrick82

Banned
I just listened to music with my K501's that I used to love so much a couple months ago. OMG, it was like filling up my ears with mud and putting a bag over my head, it sounded awful.
eek.gif
I wonder how muddy my Sennheisers would sound.
mad.gif

K1000 are great earspeakers, whenever I further tweak my rig it SHOWS the improvement, amazing. Used some QuickSilver Contact Enhancer ($65) and K1000 showed a night and day difference, for the first time ever it feels like I'm listening to live music, and I still have a few more tweaks left to do until my system is complete!
eek.gif

K1000 are not uncomfortable at all, the pads on it can be easily adjusted, it sort of feels like I have a hat on. The only problem is that often I forget I have speakers on my head and whenever I try to scratch my head my hand hits the speaker, anyone else has this problem?

I can't see how anyone can go back to headphones after listening to earspeakers, I certainly hope other manufacturers would start making them instead of headphones.

K1000 + Sonic Impact T-Amp ($39) is the best bang for the buck. How many have this combo?

Jul 31, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 40
K3000s coming my way.. :p.

Jul 31, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 40
I was forced to sell mine because they essentially offered none of the advantages of headphones with many of the inconveniences of speakers in my opinion. As an example, you can't listen in the same room as someone else without driving them crazy (much moreso than with regular open headphones), and they required specific and relatively expensive amplification to sound acceptable (I didn't like the T-amp).

If I had the cash I'd keep a pair around, but they're just impractical for most of my applications. For now I'll stick with headphone-headphones and speakers.

Jul 31, 2005 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by the terabyte
I was forced to sell mine because they essentially offered none of the advantages of headphones with many of the inconveniences of speakers in my opinion. As an example, you can't listen in the same room as someone else without driving them crazy (much moreso than with regular open headphones), and they required specific and relatively expensive amplification to sound acceptable (I didn't like the T-amp).

If I had the cash I'd keep a pair around, but they're just impractical for most of my applications. For now I'll stick with headphone-headphones and speakers.

That's a big problem indeed. To block the noise you could make an extra big sound isolated helmet (so there is space around the drivers), or you could use 2 helmets, 1 for each ear.
biggrin.gif
But then you would need crossfeed...
The best would be a sound isolated listening booth that blocks all outside noise.

I listen to music mostly at night so I don't have that problem.

Jul 31, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 40
K1000s and AudioValve RKV Mk. II

But while we are on the subject: [size=medium]In Praise of K1000s for Hot/Humid Weather![/size]

I know of no better headphone for comfort when the weather is hot and humid. My preferred cans remain HD650s, but these are clammey when things are sweaty. Canalphones/Etys don't really solve the problem, but the K1000s work like a charm.

Jul 31, 2005 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 40
I have the K1000 / Sonic Impact Combo but haven't used it anymore ever since the T amp killed two of my CD players. The expensive one went to repairs but my vintage Philips CD850 is still broken (doesn't play once a certain volume threshold is passed; same problem with the other CD player only that it gave out heavy distortion once a certain volume threshold was passed). I was told that instead of current flowing into the amp, some current was sent back to the source.

I think the AKG is an excellent headphone but quite impractical and I'm also more of a fan of the Sennheiser frequency balance. But seeing how the AKG is being discontinued, maybe I'll have to hang onto them a bit longer until the prices rise as in the case of the R10
k1000smile.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 40
I've owned the K1000 for a couple of months. It is my preferred headphone and I use it at least half the time I am using headphones. Most of the time I prefer my speakers to any headphone. On the occasions when they are not a practical choice I move to the K1000 as they give me the as close to a speaker experience as I've heard in headphones.

When they first arrived I used my Rega Mira 3 and Raptor for amplification. The Raptor was the better choice. I decided to sell my Rega as I wanted a tube sound for my speakers. I also figured that it could serve the dual purpose of driving the K1000. I picked up a Sophia Electric EL34 and upgraded the power cord (huge difference) and have found it to serve the dual purpose admirably.

I find the K1000 to be the most comfortable headphones I've worn. Having that feeling of air passing through between the drivers and my airs is a great feeling. When I move from the HD-600 to the K1000 it's like a weight has been removed from my ears. In terms of clarity of sound, these things kick a**.

I would love to try out the K3000 to see if that would make for a perfect second set of cans to compliment the K1000. I won't have the mods done to this pair.

Jul 31, 2005 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 40
Had the K1000, liked them alot. Got the HD650, liked them alot more. Sold the K1000.
600smile.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 40
I don't like the K1000's sound so will not buy it. I've had many chances to get a pair, and easily passed on them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 40
Ok, so you like the colored sound headphones provide. This means you would not like live music, correct?

There is also the problem with bass, you can get good bass cheaper with HD650 or other headphones. With K501 I get deeper bass and it makes me sick in my stomach, with K1000 I don't have that problem and it allows me to focus more on the music.
cool.gif
You could always use K1000 + subwoofer and beat all headphones, but I don't want to get sick...
eek.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Ok, so you like the colored sound headphones provide. This means you would not like live music, correct?

There is also the problem with bass, you can get good bass cheaper with HD650 or other headphones. With K501 I get deeper bass and it makes me sick in my stomach, with K1000 I don't have that problem and it allows me to focus more on the music.
cool.gif
You could always use K1000 + subwoofer and beat all headphones, but I don't want to get sick...
eek.gif

Patrick, I know you mean well, and that you really like your K1000s, but that last statement is almost inviting a flame war. If I was cynical, I'd say that was your intent all along, but that's probably not true.

I was going to add a paragraph about what I don't like about the K1000s (they're still great headphones) but I don't want to add to a flame war. Be sensitive to what you're saying and how you express your opinion and likes - no need to insult other's tastes.

Jul 31, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82

cool.gif
eek.gif

are you talking to me? (looking at the other posts it seems unlikely that you are referring to those.) if so, I don't know where you are getting your information from. I never said anything about headphones with colored sonics or if I have a preference for such headphones, just that I don't like the K1000 sound (which could be for a number of reasons other than what you've assumed it to be.)

I thought you wanted to know why some people do not have the K1000 (looking at your thread title) so I gave my reason.

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #14 of 40
I removed the case from my SI, and before I could put my hands on it to mod it, it seems to have died on its own.

Before that, SI+Astron PS+6ohm resistor across speaker terminal+K1000 ("nude" mod) put a couple of non-audiophile musicians practically to tears with beautiful music. This setup is not kind to bad recordings or bad source, or even sub-par cables, but it was sublime.

Often the problem for a speaker audiophile like me is the inconvenience of switching back and forth between speakers and K1000. K1000 demands source/cabling just as good as my speakers demand, which means I need to change interconnects and speaker cables every time I switch. I need to do something about that.

Jul 31, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 40
I'm not a huge fan of the sound, if I need soundstage I use one of my sets of speakers and I look dorky enough naturally without having to strap speakers to my head...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back