Why doesn't everyone here have AKG K1000?
Jul 31, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #16 of 40
Leakage and . . . the fact you have to keep your head stationary. Which mine is never.

Jul 31, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sethk
Patrick, I know you mean well, and that you really like your K1000s, but that last statement is almost inviting a flame war.

I mean if you already like the K1000 there is no reason to change to other headphones if you want more bass, just add a subwoofer (or do the K3000 mod).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sethk
Be sensitive to what you're saying and how you express your opinion and likes - no need to insult other's tastes.

"Taste in headphones is like taste in wines, it consists of water with taste added to it, but I don't like wine, I like water."

Maybe it is just me but I don't like anything added to the music, I want it as neutral as possible, I don't want waves to be reflected inside the earcup!
The only reason I add tubes into the path is so it will sound more natural where the instruments work together instead of are separate.

I would like some speakers to get a more natural soundstage, but it is impossible where I live. K1000 is the only way to go for me.

Jul 31, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #18 of 40
Hmm.. the K3000s should sound alright according to some comments in this thread..
tongue.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
are you talking to me?

You and Tom Hankins both have HD650, I am curious why you like them more than K1000. Because they are more forgiving and can be used with any equipment? Using in office, on the road, etc. I certainly would not like to strap a 60 lbs amp on my back and 40 lbs CD player in my front, and where to stick batteries
eek.gif
? But T-Amp doesn't have that problem and it looks less goofy.
www.stanford.edu/~aodio/HFM/MVI_1135.AVI
www.stanford.edu/~aodio/HFM/MVI_1136.AVI

This is a good budget choice, I noticed T-Amp beat my $5000 Krell amp. I am jealous of you who get good sound cheaper than me.
biggrin.gif
If I had to start over I would get K1000 + T-Amp + tubed CD player + Stefan AudioArt Hardwired K1000 cable and be done for the rest of my life!

Jul 31, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #20 of 40
K1000 has become my primary listening device for six months.

IMO, there are several reasons why it can't be everyone's cup of tea.
It is kind of heavy and uses special clamping mechanism--comfort level varies from person to person.
It leaks sound and provides isolation--suitable for a single person in a room.
The whole system is not portable.
The sound is kind of bright, and needs careful choice of source and amplification to compensate for that.
The price is not cheap, and the look is pretty odd.

After I got K1000, my K501 started to sound muffled and colored. I was amazed at how much more information K1000 is able to reveal. After a few more months, I realized that K501 still betters K1000 in terms of vertical ambience and warmth, and has a chram of its own, despite some coloration.

Anyway, K1000 is a great headphone in terms of horizontal soundstage, imaging and ambience, as well as dynamics, transparency and details. Tubes can add tonal warmth and bring out the rich harmonics. For people who like it, it combines the advantages of speaker and headphones and there is just no substitute for it.

I have T-amp but found it too bright with K1000--I will try the 8 ohm resistor in parallel to see if things improve.

Jul 31, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
I have T-amp but found it too bright with K1000--I will try the 8 ohm resistor in parallel to see if things improve.

You should try Stefan AudioArt Hardwired K1000 cable, I noticed most of the harshness and brightness was gone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
The sound is kind of bright, and needs careful choice of source and amplification to compensate for that.

Yeah, K1000 are super-fast and revealing.
ALL my equipment in my K1000 system are on the bright side, but what fixed the problem was power conditioning, it sounds so warm and dark now! Guess what, K501 sounds brighter now!
eek.gif

Aug 1, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #24 of 40
i didnt want the t-amp. i got a toooob amp, nice and cheap.

hearing the problems that i hear now about the t-amp, im happy i spent jsut a hair more for the toooobs.

Aug 1, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
You and Tom Hankins both have HD650, I am curious why you like them more than K1000.

I have the HD650, but that doesn't mean I like them more than the K1000. usually I only like the HD650 only when driven balanced by a high end balanced amp, and possibly the K1000's sound may also change for something I like if I work on it and find a better setup that suites me than the T-Amp combo I tried at meets. I only got the HD650 since it was cheap, a lot of people have it and I wanted a reference point of some sorts.

if those avi files you linked to are what I think they are (movies taken of NeilPeart at the San Mateo meet), I was walking with them while they were doing that and I think you can see me at the end of one of the clips. they are even using my PCDP.

Aug 1, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
You should try Stefan AudioArt Hardwired K1000 cable, I noticed most of the harshness and brightness was gone.

Yeah, K1000 are super-fast and revealing.
ALL my equipment in my K1000 system are on the bright side, but what fixed the problem was power conditioning, it sounds so warm and dark now! Guess what, K501 sounds brighter now!
eek.gif

I now use a DIY cable with Canare 4S11 and Neutrik female connector, with bare wire on the other end. To my surprise, it seems to add a little detail and takes away some leaness. The difference is pretty subtle, smaller than changing pre-amp tubes.

I also use Furman Power Factor Pro for A/C conditioning. Overall details increase slightly for everything plugged into it. I don't feel that it changes the sonic balance of my system.

Aug 1, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #27 of 40
I've been trying to decide what to do in terms of a replacement cable for the K1000. I have a cable built by Edwood with a 1/4 adapter for use with my Raptor. I have the stock cable when I connect to my Sophia Electric EL34. I don't really have any complaints but I have come to realize the difference aftermarket cables can make. I've also added an upgraded power cord which has made a big difference. I am borrowing a pc until the Soundstring I just picked up on audiogon arrives. The only drawback to the K1000 so far is having to put up with my family members making fun of me when I wear them.

Aug 1, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I've been trying to decide what to do in terms of a replacement cable for the K1000. I have a cable built by Edwood with a 1/4 adapter for use with my Raptor. I have the stock cable when I connect to my Sophia Electric EL34.

There are precious few things in life that's a "sure thing." One of them happens to be the absolutely amazing synergy of Vampire continuous cast enamel wire with K1000. Using two of ~19.5 AWG Vampire wire (twisted) per signal leg just transforms K1000. Don't make it any longer than it has to be, either.

Do it if you are curious at all what it would sound like if the stock K1000 gains even more detail and resolution while becoming richer and smoother with more "oomp" at the same time.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_photo.php

Aug 1, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
There are precious few things in life that's a "sure thing." One of them happens to be the absolutely amazing synergy of Vampire continuous cast enamel wire with K1000. Using two of ~19.5 AWG Vampire wire (twisted) per signal leg just transforms K1000. Don't make it any longer than it has to be, either.

I would need a cable that is about 8 to 10'. I would also need to have someone build it for me. I've been emailing with Larry about a cable. Thanks for the suggestion. Nice system, by the way.

Aug 1, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #30 of 40
Currently own a K1000, but will soon be without one.

I've fallen in love with the Audio Technica L3000, and to a slightly lesser extent, the W2002 with its matching amplifier. I have no need or desire to listen to other dynamic cans at this point, save the Koss PortaPros for portable use. I will be selling the K1000 soon, as well as all my other dynamic headphones.

After listening to hozo's homemade electrostats at the Atlanta meet (extremely impressive), I've decided that if I get another headphone it will be an electrostatic. Audio Technicas are it for me on the dynamic front. The K1000 are nice - especially from an RKV - but are not the final word in neutrality, detail, or musicality IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back