Why Doesn't Etymotic Sell ER-4p Cables.
Apr 13, 2008 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

KUNFUCHOPSTICKS

100+ Head-Fier
This company seems to do everything right except for selling extra cables. The ER-4p's cable is user replaceable, Why don't they sell any? They would increase attach rate for each unit sold by offering replaceable cables, and not just replaceable cables, but also replaceable cables at different lengths (Many of use will be happy about this.) And even s/p replaceable cables instead of the adapters.

I Heard they charge $50 to have cable replaced. They should just charge $50 for a extra cable. Still $50 but they can save on labor and return shipping so better off.

Proof of how easy the cable can be replaced:
er4transducerqw7.jpg

Good Day

Apr 13, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 18
The cables aren't supposed to be user replaceable, actually.

Its not that they can't be, it's just that Etymotic never intended the end user to replace the cable. I think the reasoning behind this is that the connection is not very robust and could be easily damaged.

And I don't see how you can say Etymotic does everything right. They need to get with the times and update the ER4 so that it can actually compete with newer IEMs in terms of fit and comfort.

Apr 13, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 18
The connectors are not designed for repeated removal like the UE universal IEM cables.

And I find the Ety IEMs to be more comfy than the UE ones. =p The UE driver housings are just too big. They hurt my ears.

Apr 13, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 18
The reason they gave me when i asked (well actually I asked if I could just buy a set of pods to replace my broken ones and save me sending the phones back to them) was that they consider the pods+cable to be one unit that they match and test together and selling the parts seperatly wouldn't give the final product the quality they want.

And also as others have stated the connection is not very robust and is not designed for repeated replacement which is the main reason I have never done seriously AB testing between the stock cable and the APureSound cable.

Apr 13, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 18
My theory is that this way they prevent P owners from getting S cable instead of adapter, as connectors are not designed to withhold repeated reconnects.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I find the Ety IEMs to be more comfy than the UE ones. =p The UE driver housings are just too big. They hurt my ears.

Not to get too far off topic, but picking UE as a representative of more modern IEM's is a bit unfair.

Compare the comfort of the ER4 to the Sleek SA6, Jays Q-Jay or Westone UM2. It's no contest.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 18
You are right of course, it's been Shure or Ety for so long I forget there are other IEMs out there now. =)

The Jays are really similar in shape to the ER-6i and I thought about 'em for a while, but I like the Ety sound too much.

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 18
They don't need to change what's not broken. And to me i think the design of the ER-4p is very cool, better than the others. It has a true "reference monitor" feel to it. UE and other' 'monitors' are to superficial looking.

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #9 of 18
The only problem with the design is the horrific microphonics. All they need to change is the angle of the connection, so it can more readily be worn over the ears.

Getting that Coke can out of the middle of the cable wouldn't hurt either.

I wish there was a more sane recabling option than the APS one.

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting that Coke can out of the middle of the cable wouldn't hurt either.

Actually, it's not half bad on newer models, they need to put resistors somewhere.

Apr 14, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, it's not half bad on newer models, they need to put resistors somewhere.

The cable strain relief at the Y end of the 'coke can' is pretty worthless. They should redesign that.

Apr 14, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd rather have that huge barrel be near the plug than swinging around in the middle of the cable.

Apr 14, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rather have that huge barrel be near the plug than swinging around in the middle of the cable.

It is not *huge* on new models, I barely notice it. Plus serves as a nice placeholder for shirt clip and Y joint.
0020100000_3324.jpg

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you take the cable off.

I tried and it didn't seem to want to come off!

I wouldn't try to take it off if I were you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back