Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600
Jun 23, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #211 of 242
Anyone using a Schiit Asgard 2 with the Denon D600's?  I just got mine in today. I have my windows and tidal volume set to 100%, but if I take the amp above 25% on high gain or 50% on low gain, I hear some distortion in the background at all times, wondering if that's normal?  I can't hear it until I hit those volume points, though.

As vague as it sounds, it depends what you mean distortion; either clipping or where the tone loses clarity.

I use my DENONs in a very unique way & I'm sure I'm boosting them where they weren't designed to be boosted so I do get resonance & rare clipping but that is the cost of tuning these to my taste which I can live with.

That being said as the DENONs have a drive impedance of only 25ohms compared to higher impedance headphones.

With the Schiit Asgard 2 output impedance of 2ohms that gives you a damping factor of 12.5 for the DENONs compared to my Sennheiser HD700 which are 6x the impedance so I get a damping factor of 83.5 hence tighter response from the same amp. I don't think such a powerful output amp is necessary for the low impedance DENONs & I guess the volume level is very sensitive.

In your case, I would run some sine wave tone sweeps from 20hz to 20khz(plenty on YouTube) through your full intended audio chain to see where the distortion takes place & EQ those frequencies down. RealVLC has an embedded eq control; Tidal is still investigating implementing one! So you may have to download your tracks & play in a different player or investigate your windows output settings.

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #212 of 242
As vague as it sounds, it depends what you mean distortion; either clipping or where the tone loses clarity.

I use my DENONs in a very unique way & I'm sure I'm boosting them where they weren't designed to be boosted so I do get resonance & rare clipping but that is the cost of tuning these to my taste which I can live with.

That being said as the DENONs have a drive impedance of only 25ohms compared to higher impedance headphones.

With the Schiit Asgard 2 output impedance of 2ohms that gives you a damping factor of 12.5 for the DENONs compared to my Sennheiser HD700 which are 6x the impedance so I get a damping factor of 83.5 hence tighter response from the same amp. I don't think such a powerful output amp is necessary for the low impedance DENONs & I guess the volume level is very sensitive.

In your case, I would run some sine wave tone sweeps from 20hz to 20khz(plenty on YouTube) through your full intended audio chain to see where the distortion takes place & EQ those frequencies down. RealVLC has an embedded eq control; Tidal is still investigating implementing one! So you may have to download your tracks & play in a different player or investigate your windows output settings.

Turns out its my source.  I built a new PC, used my previous Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD, it's just really noisy with the new components.  Got an external DAC on the way to see if it clears it up. 

Jun 25, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #213 of 242
They are very comfortable with super soft leather cups, although they do get hot since its leather. The cord is very high quality but also very heavy. Overall the cans are just fun and at the prices i'm seeing them for these days (sub $200) i'd say they are hard to beat in that range assuming they fit your music taste. Maybe its because my music tastes have shifted but I don't seem to be finding any urge to switch back to my hd650s over the last couple days and if that urge persists I may even sell em off :X

As a previous fan of the AH-D600 (bought twice) and an HD650 (owner twice over as well) I would say hold on to your 650s.

The 600 is a great can, and ultimately has more sub bass extension and presence than the 650. But tonally, the 650 ipresents itself more natural, especially through the upper mid-range and high-end.

My D600s were my to go to can for gaming, movies, and electronic. However even when I owned them I struggled with their artifices. Would have kept them as they are so comfy, but ultimately got a closed headphone more addicting, more neutral, and more suited for the purpose of music work in the MDR-7520.

Just hold on to your 650s!

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #214 of 242
Turns out its my source.  I built a new PC, used my previous Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD, it's just really noisy with the new components.  Got an external DAC on the way to see if it clears it up. 

Be aware that the USB port can be just as noisy; had that issue when connecting from an ASUS laptop to External DAC but did br have that problem using SPDIF IN or an HP laptop.

Jul 18, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #215 of 242
how do these change if at all after burn in? and if so how long is burn in? nevermind i didnt see it inside the band.....
wink_face.gif

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #216 of 242
Man, now I see why the Denon D600 had such a huge headband: to give room to future HM5 angled pleather ear eads! With the HM5 angled, the D600 now sound like a Denon D2000 with better isolation and better mids! Well, mid-extensions are still slightly recessed, but the mids are pretty lush now! I think that patented "hexagon" system was really meant for the ear pad edges, as I always felt that the stock ear pads had a wonky sound around those hexagon angles. Oh yeah, having dual 3.5mm mono plugs on the ear cups also helps when you have an Audeze Sine Cipher cable. :cool:

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #217 of 242
Man, now I see why the Denon D600 had such a huge headband: to give room to future HM5 angled pleather ear eads! With the HM5 angled, the D600 now sound like a Denon D2000 with better isolation and better mids! Well, mid-extensions are still slightly recessed, but the mids are pretty lush now! I think that patented "hexagon" system was really meant for the ear pad edges, as I always felt that the stock ear pads had a wonky sound around those hexagon angles. Oh yeah, having dual 3.5mm mono plugs on the ear cups also helps when you have an Audeze Sine Cipher cable.
cool.gif

did it do anything for the bass slamm? if so made it slamm more or less? and where do we get these pads?
beerchug.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #218 of 242
did it do anything for the bass slamm? if so made it slamm more or less? and where do we get these pads? :beerchug:

Bass impact is about the same, but there is more bass extension from the angling. I got them here:

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473308078&sr=8-1&keywords=hm5+angled

BTW, be careful when removing the stock pads, as there is not much lining on them. More so, watch each angling on the ear cup edges.

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #220 of 242
Bass impact is about the same, but there is more bass extension from the angling. I got them here:

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473308078&sr=8-1&keywords=hm5+angled

BTW, be careful when removing the stock pads, as there is not much lining on them. More so, watch each angling on the ear cup edges.

you have pics how to put em on? and what they look like on?

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #221 of 242
I'm using the D600s at work. Can't use the Nighthawks as they're semi open and leak a bit. My favourite cans the Yamaha PRO500s just aren't as comfy as the plush Denons. In fact they're more comfortable than the Audioquests, which are no slouch in that regard. Anyway it's given me a new appreciation for them. Bass goes real low, if a little lacking in outright slam. Treble doesn't bother me like it used to, possibly because I reduce the SPL for longer sessions. Maybe a touch scooped in the mids as has been previously (over) stated, but otherwise pretty damn good I reckon, if you don't mind the interesting design.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #222 of 242
Nice. l think they can be a great HP for work as not only they don't leak much, but also they isolate very well. l used to alternate between these and the Beyers DT-770. 

Do you know what l started to appreciate about the Denons? The fact that they sound better than many HPs while listening to music a low levels...

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #223 of 242
An old thread, but just had to leave an impression here:
Saw a good deal for a mint condition once, wasn't too interested because I had the UE6000 at the time which I read seems to have similar sound sig.

But then after months past, I find a demo of the D600 on a retail store, it piques my interest, after lunch with my family, I put some eartime to them, put out my DAP, tune in my music...

The UE 6000 had nothing on this at all... Man it's actually very nice, the vocal is clear and doesn't feel recessed at all, which was what make me sold the UE, and disliking the DT770, bass is punchy and layered, it's been a while I heard this nice of a bass, last time was when I was demoing a Sony Z1R, and this Denon clearly makes me remember of that experience, yeah, the D600 actually, in tonality at least is very similar to the $1700+ Sony flagship, it's an instant buy for me at that night, finding the deal still available (a pity for the brand, but very lucky for me!) and waited for a couple days for it to arrive,

When it arrived, man it stole my MA900 and K702 from any eartime, I really am missing a good closed cans. I had to sold my M40x and my 2ndary phone, but it was well worth it.
I finally have a closed can that doesn't lose to my open :) totally satisfied with my purchase!

Now my worries is just a place to find a replacement earpads for when it inevitably fold... Does anyone has a recommendation? Is Brainwavz leather (protein and real ones) good for it?

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #224 of 242
An old thread, but just had to leave an impression here:
Saw a good deal for a mint condition once, wasn't too interested because I had the UE6000 at the time which I read seems to have similar sound sig.

But then after months past, I find a demo of the D600 on a retail store, it piques my interest, after lunch with my family, I put some eartime to them, put out my DAP, tune in my music...

The UE 6000 had nothing on this at all... Man it's actually very nice, the vocal is clear and doesn't feel recessed at all, which was what make me sold the UE, and disliking the DT770, bass is punchy and layered, it's been a while I heard this nice of a bass, last time was when I was demoing a Sony Z1R, and this Denon clearly makes me remember of that experience, yeah, the D600 actually, in tonality at least is very similar to the $1700+ Sony flagship, it's an instant buy for me at that night, finding the deal still available (a pity for the brand, but very lucky for me!) and waited for a couple days for it to arrive,

When it arrived, man it stole my MA900 and K702 from any eartime, I really am missing a good closed cans. I had to sold my M40x and my 2ndary phone, but it was well worth it.
I finally have a closed can that doesn't lose to my open :) totally satisfied with my purchase!

Now my worries is just a place to find a replacement earpads for when it inevitably fold... Does anyone has a recommendation? Is Brainwavz leather (protein and real ones) good for it?

Even though there is the new Denon AH-D1200 that recently became available, the D600 is still very unique with its fixed headband-and-earcup-cover system. As for the HM5 sets, I really enjoyed having the modded feltless hybrid earpads (the drivers are covered), but many say that the bass impact is gone with all HM5 earpads. I would sort-of agree, but having the HM5 hybrids open up the soundstage even more and make extensions airier. Take off the felt and the details are newly exposed, all with the drivers covered to keep out hair and other stuff. I still miss the combo...a lot. :triportsad:

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #225 of 242
Less bass.. Man that'd suck its my worry as well, because I've had the HM5 Hybrid for a while and it ruins the sound of my M40x and MA900 so, I'm not too inclined with them anymore. . But those are the most readily available locally... So... Had anyone tried to put on normal monitor pleather earpads on them? Like the ones for that fits for Sony 7502, AT's Mx0 series, etc. I think they all have a bit bigger cups right? Shouldn't be a problem to fit them on the Denons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back