Why doesn't anybody like the Denon AH-D600
Apr 15, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #121 of 242
The words recessed are thrown around too much on this board. Neither have recessed mids but both have mids that are not boosted or mid centric. The D600 is more refined and tighter with a more potent slam. They can be a bit loose out the box but tighten up. The D600 is fantastic for the price and is superior in every way apart from soundstage. The DT770 is no slouch though it's tought to beat.

+1 on everything said here.

May 5, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #122 of 242
Hello!

I ended up buying a pair of AH-D600s and... l just can't be happier! Here is my experience with them, after having them for a bit longer than a week:

My initial impression was "oh my, these are terrible, l should've listened to those who say they're rubbish". l totally disliked them. ln fact, l have never had a worse first experience with a pair of HPs... In Switzerland they cost $455, but l just paid $228 (via amazon.de), taxes and shipping included. In any case, l thought they were not worth it, to the point that l proceeded taking pictures and posting them at the local 'sell/trade' website to get rid of them... Maybe l overreacted a bit...

lt's just that the sound seemed all messed up: bass everywhere, lack of clarity... l don't know, just bad. However, l remembered reading people saying the bass 'settles' after some hours of use... And to be honest, l liked the looks very much (although l prefer the old style by far), the presentation was the best l ever saw in a pair of HPs so far... So l put them back on, and carried on working while listening to random music...

At the end of the day (and hours of using them) l remember my wife asked "How do you like your new Hps?". l told her l wasn't happy, l put them to sell... However, l said to her "But there is something about them; l have the feeling they can grow on me... lt's a feeling".

Well, after a week, l can't be happier. The bass surely settled. lt's by no means everywhere. The mids are surely not recessed (it simply depends on the song you're listening to, but in general, l would never say they have recessed mids,  at all). 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDREEM 

The words recessed are thrown around too much on this board. Neither have recessed mids but both have mids that are not boosted or mid centric. The D600 is more refined and tighter with a more potent slam. They can be a bit loose out the box but tighten up. The D600 is fantastic for the price and is superior in every way apart from soundstage. The DT770 is no slouch though it's tought to beat.

l totally agree with you DJDREEM :)

The Denons sound clear and, l don't know, they sound 'special' to me. Now, when l put on my AKG K-550 l am totally bored by them. The Beyers DT-770s sound unclear in comparison, a lot less articulate... like worse in general (and l used to really like them!).

l mean, l like this Denons so much l would even consider getting the AH-D7100 (l like the look of those more).

And then the accessories... The carrying pouch is fantastic. lt even seems to be waterproof. The hi-fi cable looks and feels great (maybe a bit sensitive to 'microphonics' if you know what l mean). l haven't tried the 'on-the-go' cable, yet. 

Oh and the fit... Super comfortable! Maybe the most comfortable HPs l have! Also, in my head, they don't move around easily (like the K-550s do). 

All in all, for $228 they're a no brainer, a clear winner :) 

By the way, for those of you who enjoy organ music... l believe these excell at this genre (you know how important a strong low end is for organ music). 

So thanks to those of you who encouraged me to get them 
basshead.gif

May 5, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #124 of 242
I have not had a chance to try the lcd-xc. But i do have tried the fostex th900. I tested the them and compared them with denon 7100 and 600. I have to say the th900 have a lot more authority in clarity, and how the violin and cello sound thru the th900 sound just right. In comparison, the 7100 sounded somewhat artificial and the clarity is in some degree hindered. I own the d600 and simply have to say compared straight up with the th900, the d600 are no match for th900 in every aspect (sound quality aspects). The d600 suddenly sounded muffed and distorted (when doing an AB test). But then again, the fostex th900 are simply way more expensive than the d600 and a pinch more than the d7100. I would suggest to get the th900 if ur interested in getting the d7100. But when solely listening to the d600, I am proud to say that these do satisfy my needs, or at least within my budget range. In short, I really do recommend the fostex th900s, but as always, do give them a go with ur rig before picking them up, since how you feel is subjective and there is noting more definitive in subjective perception than your own ears (or brain). Cheers.

May 5, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #125 of 242
My D600s came in today.  $199 shipped for a refurb pair from U.S. Denon reseller.

Like IYAshike said above, when I first plugged them in, they seemed to be all over the place.  Bass was boomy, muddy and unrefined.  Mids did seem somewhat recessed.  Thought I had made a mistake as well. 

Put my iTunes on Repeat and walked away for about 3 hours or so.  Come back to them now and they seemed to have tightened up some. 

Gonna leave them playing while I sleep and check them in the morning.  Will probably let them play all day tomorrow too while I am work.  That will put about 20 hours or so on them.

May 6, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #126 of 242
Hey Boochie,

l hope you end up having a good experience with the D600s, as l did... 

In any case, l would recommend you to simply put them on, and try to relax and enjoy your music, rather than start an A/B comparison with other HPs you have. Like "let the music reach you", rather than sit down and concentrate to hear sonic differences. l just think these Denons are not 'analytical', but they are designed for you to enjoy (feel?) the music. 

Also, l believe a good starting point with these might be sitting down to watch a movie. Thanks to their solid bass, and good soundstage, they do pretty well with movies. As for today, my favourite HPs for movies are the Fidelio X1 (which are open cans). Whenever l can't use the X1s, l surely go reach the D600s
basshead.gif

And if worse come to worse... remember you 'only' paid $200 for them!! l think the hi-fi cable + ear pads are worth that money!
wink.gif

Anyway, as l said, l hope you end up enjoying them... give them a chance! 

May 6, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #127 of 242
How does the D600 sound straight out of a cell phone or laptop?

May 6, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #128 of 242
  How does the D600 sound straight out of a cell phone or laptop?

Actually very good.  They do not need an amp - but sound great out of one.  I listen to them at work on and off all day out of a vintage Realistic receiver fed by a PC via a FiiO E-10 - really really great bass that is tight and deep.  Out of my iPhone 5 it's very good as well. 

May 26, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #129 of 242
So on a whim, I picked these up on clearance at Best Buy for 150. After burn in, I really enjoy the sound of them. The problem is that they are too loose on my head and cause the headband to sit heavy on the top of my head. I get a pretty bad headache after about an hour or 2. Anyone have a solution for this? Baring that, could you point me to a headphone with a similar sound ( I really do love the way they sound)

thanks

May 26, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #130 of 242
  So on a whim, I picked these up on clearance at Best Buy for 150. After burn in, I really enjoy the sound of them. The problem is that they are too loose on my head and cause the headband to sit heavy on the top of my head. I get a pretty bad headache after about an hour or 2. Anyone have a solution for this? Baring that, could you point me to a headphone with a similar sound ( I really do love the way they sound)

thanks

They do have really wide "headspace" between. Sorry I don't know what else to call that. It's probably one continuous band in there, so you could try to bend the metal band until the ears start taking some of the weight. It's pretty common to do with the Fostex T50rp. 

As for similar, the soundmagic HP1000 are pretty similar, but better bass control and a far better midrange. Still has a lot of low down bass punch. 

May 27, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #131 of 242
l would try buying a 'headband cushion pad' (whatever the name is). The Denon's headband would sit higher than normally, which could modify the way they rest on your head. More importantly, the HPs weight should be distributed more uniformly on the new and bigger/wider 'cushion band', so they might not hurt your head (or at least, not after "an hour or 2").

Good luck!

PS:
Something like this 

- Or this (or even both together?) 

May 27, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #132 of 242
Tried them a couple weeks ago in an airport store. Not a bad sound signature and my main beef with them is actually how big they are on the head which makes them rather impractical for portable use.

May 27, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #133 of 242
I remember trying the 7100 side by side next to the 5000. As well as the 600. My main problem with the new generation was that they seemed slightly more controlled. Neither headphones were confused in anyway. The new series just sounded controlled making it sound a bit boring next to the 5000. The sound reminded me of the AKG 701. The price is what killed it. 7100 was just bad when considering the price. The 600 was a really good can for the price though. Definitely had a similar sound that gave the 5000 a run for its money.

May 28, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #134 of 242
The D600 definitely has a very colored sound for something in its price range. I found it enjoyable at first listen, but the weirdly distant vocals made me return it. The "veiled" HD650 is a lot closer to neutral.

May 28, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #135 of 242
I used to own the D5000, the D7100 and D600 takes a different route in terms of sound sig but still quite close. I find the older line very good but they lack refinement and sound not very controlled stock. The D7100 sounds warmer and a bit more lush and thick. The D600 sounds a bit thinner and brighter. Both the D7100 and D600 after the bass tames after the first two hours or so, sound close to neutral.

I would say they have a slight V shaped but it is very slight, no recession in the mids but tiny bit below the others. I definitely would pick the D7100 over the D5000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back