Why does Tidal sound better to my ears?
Jul 21, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #61 of 86
Unless we’re talking of a very special edition, I find it extremely difficult to believe that Spotify gets the worst format. Namely because it has the userbase of Qobuz and Tidal multiplied by 1000 (I’m making up numbers but the idea is clear).

Talking about metal, which is a genre I somewhat know, I find downright impossible. Still, so many people swear that the HIRES from Qobuz/Tidal or even the FLAC format sounds better. I’d be very happy to be told which specific songs to check. I used to say the same, now I can’t find myself able to find the slightest difference.
This isn't metal, but I just chose a random song to compare Tidal HiFi and Spotify Premium and the difference in resolution is stark: "Alexandra" , the first song on Laura Marling's album Song for Our Daughter.

Jul 22, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #62 of 86
I think we're talking about differences in mastering.

Jul 22, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #64 of 86
If there’s no difference, the master is probably provided by the label, and it’s the same. Differences would probably be exceptions, not rules. I’m afraid I don’t know any way other than an analogue cap to import streaming. Someone else here might have done it.

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #65 of 86
I can’t hear any difference whatsoever using a pair of Focal Elegia on a DAP.
@bigshot I am on a Mac, do you know a way for me to extract 30 seconds from both apps so that I can send the files for you to build a quick test?

A virtual cable like what VB-audio offers can help for that. I don't know the Mac universe, but the idea is to tell the OS to output to that cable(it should show up as an audio device, both for playback and input). Then take any app that can record audio, and same way, select that cable as its input.
Depending on which virtual cable is use, there may be a need to properly set everything to the same sample rate.

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #66 of 86
Aside from differences in bit rate, resolution, and file format, what you likely are likely hearing is differences in loudness compression. All the streaming services apply some normalization to the loudness. For example, Tidal and Spotify targets -14db in LUFS units. Though the compression algorithm will vary, and can have an audible difference between streaming services. Once you use more than 192 kbps rates for compressed audio, you'll actually cause more audible changes to the sound quality with compression than by bit rates or resolution differences.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #67 of 86
Aside from differences in bit rate, resolution, and file format, what you likely are likely hearing is differences in loudness compression. All the streaming services apply some normalization to the loudness. For example, Tidal and Spotify targets -14db in LUFS units. Though the compression algorithm will vary, and can have an audible difference between streaming services. Once you use more than 192 kbps rates for compressed audio, you'll actually cause more audible changes to the sound quality with compression than by bit rates or resolution differences.
I've never perceived any sonic difference between a lossless file from a normal CD and streaming Tidal in HiFi mode. The opposite invariably applies comparing either with Spotify Premium in which resolution of sonic detail is clearly inferior. Based on this ongoing experience - subscribe to both Tidal and Spotify and download lots of CDs to iTunes - I find your argument hard to support.

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #68 of 86
The opposite invariably applies comparing either with Spotify Premium in which resolution of sonic detail is clearly inferior.
How so? I have music shared between Spotify Premium and lossless files and for the life of me, I can't hear a difference. Maybe a double-blind can help you to determine if there is an actual difference.

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #69 of 86
Differences aren't likely to be from compression unless they are streaming at very low data rates. And if that was the case, it would manifest as digital artifacts- bloops and blorps caused by the data not being sufficient to render the sound. It wouldn't be a subtle thing, you would be able to hear it as a glitch. Subtle differences like "sonic details" are more likely either mastering differences or expectation bias.

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #71 of 86
My "miscommunication detector" is acting up: I smell a dynamic compression versus data compression mixup...

Dynamic compression would be part of the master the streaming service is provided by the label. A streaming service would have absolutely no reason to adjust dynamic compression, only compression of file size and data rate. This isn't like AM radio where they would need to compress to keep from burying the sound in radio noise.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #72 of 86
How so? I have music shared between Spotify Premium and lossless files and for the life of me, I can't hear a difference. Maybe a double-blind can help you to determine if there is an actual difference.
So if you don't agree with a poster they need help with something you have a problem with.

Aug 5, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #73 of 86
Are you more likely to encounter intersample clipping in mp3 (spotify) vs lossless (tidal)? I read if you have an external dac+amp it's best to lower the digital volume in windows to around -4db(intersample-overs can occur up to 6db) . If I force my volume in tidal to 100% and use exclusive mode would I still encounter clipping over 0db? If yes, would lowering the preamp volume in my dac to -4db be equivalent lowering the digital volume -4db? Would this clipping even be audible?

Aug 17, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #75 of 86
Differences aren't likely to be from compression unless they are streaming at very low data rates. And if that was the case, it would manifest as digital artifacts- bloops and blorps caused by the data not being sufficient to render the sound. It wouldn't be a subtle thing, you would be able to hear it as a glitch. Subtle differences like "sonic details" are more likely either mastering differences or expectation bias.

People will be listening on different equipment. The one time even high rate data compression is not transparent, is when it is re-encoded (bluetooth will do this) or sample rate converted (almost all phones and tablets will do this). Lossless fairs much better. So this may account for audibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back