Why does my vinyl sound bad?
Sep 25, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #32 of 47
Sep 25, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #34 of 47
In a properly set up and balanced system, LPs can compete with digital sources provided the records are properly recorded, and given a clean pressing. A recent Rega P3 (not a Planar 3 from decades ago), isolated from parasitic vibrations, using a good cartridge, into a decent phono stage, you'll be pleased with the results. As mentioned in previous responses, be careful with set up, use a stethoscope, make sure table is level, etc. Recent Rega motors are quite good, low vibration but low torque too. The light weight plinth is not an issue here. Mass loading and sub chassis suspensions were necessary with older cogging motors such as Linn and Thorens, but Rega designed a quieter motor, so springs could be eliminated. Its a different approach that works, but may have a few trade offs.  Rega arms are fabulous, but obtain an after market VTA adjust to make life easier.

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #35 of 47
  In a properly set up and balanced system, LPs can compete with digital sources provided the records are properly recorded, and given a clean pressing. A recent Rega P3 (not a Planar 3 from decades ago), isolated from parasitic vibrations, using a good cartridge, into a decent phono stage, you'll be pleased with the results. As mentioned in previous responses, be careful with set up, use a stethoscope, make sure table is level, etc. Recent Rega motors are quite good, low vibration but low torque too. The light weight plinth is not an issue here. Mass loading and sub chassis suspensions were necessary with older cogging motors such as Linn and Thorens, but Rega designed a quieter motor, so springs could be eliminated. Its a different approach that works, but may have a few trade offs.  Rega arms are fabulous, but obtain an after market VTA adjust to make life easier.

A decent turntable/arm/cartridge costs $5000 minimum. It still won't match an entry-level CD player.

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #36 of 47
No, won't "match" cd, but original post inquired about quality of sound, not just  matching the pros and cons of digital. Many audio enthusiasts including myself have LPs and can directly compare digital remasters. Often the original analog wins out for midrange timbre, instrumental textures, and reduced listener fatigue. Digital wins with measured frequency response, potential dynamic range, but adds a distortion often called "clarity"-- something that doesnt exist  in live music.

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #37 of 47

LPs sound like ca-ca

To your ears? I'm quite certain they do
rolleyes.gif

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #39 of 47

A decent turntable/arm/cartridge costs $5000 minimum. It still won't match an entry-level CD player.

You also need a really good phono preamp that can easily cost $5K. At one time I had a VPI 19 TT, ET2 air bearing arm, Sumiko Boron high output MC cartridge. For phono, I had a VTL Ultimate tube preamp. I compared it against the best Linn DAC/Transport at the time. The phono was better, to my ears, it had an ease that was absent with the Linn digital.

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #40 of 47

You also need a really good phono preamp that can easily cost $5K. At one time I had a VPI 19 TT, ET2 air bearing arm, Sumiko Boron high output MC cartridge. For phono, I had a VTL Ultimate tube preamp. I compared it against the best Linn DAC/Transport at the time. The phono was better, to my ears, it had an ease that was absent with the Linn digital.

Hilarious. The irony about the resurgence of 'vinyl' is that most people are playing their records on garbage turntables.

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #41 of 47

Hilarious. The irony about the resurgence of 'vinyl' is that most people are playing their records on garbage turntables.

Believe me, I don't miss that setup at all. A maintenance hassle, I had a VPI record cleaning machine, I was always checking its level, MC cartridges are expensive, I was always checking the ET2 arm for azimuth, etc...
BTW that Eminent Technology ET2.5 arm now cost $4500. I bought mine used for $800 long ago.

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #42 of 47
Don't worry about it. If you enjoy listening to records, fine.  I began purchasing vinyl recordings again because I have a history with the medium and I truly enjoy the tactile way it makes me feel.  I listen to music, not equipment.  In the same vein, I rarely listen to "audiophiles" as they seem more concerned with the ENC factor ("Emperor's New Clothes" of the equipment) than just enjoying the music.

Music is the cake.  The format you choose is your personal icing.   As with ice cream, you do not have to like every flavor.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #43 of 47

Believe me, I don't miss that setup at all. A maintenance hassle, I had a VPI record cleaning machine, I was always checking its level, MC cartridges are expensive, I was always checking the ET2 arm for azimuth, etc...
BTW that Eminent Technology ET2.5 arm now cost $4500. I bought mine used for $800 long ago.

Yeah, I got really tired of all the hassles. Even the best LPs (usually Japanese) had flaws. Eccentricity, warps, ticks, pops, dirt attracted by static electricity, non-fill, pre- and post-echo. I had a British import copy of Sandy, and in the song "Quiet Joys of Brotherhood", the pre-echo was awful. The song is mostly quiet, but then she bursts into a very loud part, which you can hear faintly one revolution before.... 

https://www.amazon.com/Sandy-Remastered-Denny/dp/B001TMZXD2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1474902559&sr=8-5&keywords=Sandy+denny

If I never have to listen to an LP, it will be too soon.

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #44 of 47
OK, there are two people who don't like vinyl. Next...

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #45 of 47
  OK, there are two people who don't like vinyl. Next...

https://youtu.be/Cjjsz14hL48

"I bought a Stereo! Wow! With two speakers! But then I heard the quad with the four speakers and I was like this is it, so I got rid of the stereo and got the quad. I'm listening to this thing and I'm like 'Hey this sounds like shiiit!' So, I got rid of that and got the dodecaphonic with the 12 speakers. This was more to my liking, for a while. But the gear gets pretty sophisticated pretty fast and I got rid of that and got the milliphonic with the 1,000 speakers. And I'm listening to that one and I'm like, 'Hey, this sounds like shiiit too! The other one was shiiit one, this one is shiiit too!' So, I traded that in and got the googlephonic, which is the highest number of speakers you can have before infinity. Sounds like shiiit! So, then I said, 'Hey, maybe it's the needle!'

I had the typical diamond needle. I searched around got the moonrock needle, cost me 3 million bucks, but what the hey. So, now I have a googlephonic stereo with a moonrock needle. ...Sounds like shiiiiiiiit." --Steve Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back