Why does my vinyl sound bad?
Sep 26, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #46 of 47
From looking at your set-up I would say try a different vinyl pre-amp. Though this IS just a guess as I have not heard or have ever had your exact rig.

Much of the time if your just not getting a load setting with a certain vinyl pre-amp the signal is going to be thin and lifeless. Going and demoing different vinyl preamps is one way. The other is just find some old receiver from the 1970s or 1980s plug your turntable in and plug your headphones in and see if you have made a slight step closer to the sound you are looking for. Your cartridge and turntable are in chance maybe just fine.

I've had vinyl from the early 1970s on and in turn have ended up with a bunch of different set ups over the years. The vinyl pre is really the most important part if your trying to get authority and dynamics, basicly the loudness your used to getting from digital. I have no reasons to get on a vinyl VS digital soapbox here as many have, just due to the fact that I have enjoyed both. Both formats have their ups and downs.

When trying different preamps I was blown away as to the changes. At times a friend would give me one and I would spend the night trying different settings but still not finding the sound. Finally I actually made a thread in Headfi around 2009 and purchased the phono preamp that was suggested here, of all places.

The more expensive phono-pre is going to offer more settings to change the signal load. Also if you find a receiver to right away get you a better sound, then you'll be on the right track. Everyone is different from what sound they are looking for. I heard $200 vinyl rigs which sounded great and $100K vinyl rigs which sounded great. Money can take your sound really far, but you can find plenty of folks who love the mid-Fi tone they achieved with just the right combo. I've had maybe 10 $200-$300 vinyl set ups and loved them all. They all had a slightly different sound. It's about finding your sound.

I scanned the thread and this suggestion was not offered up yet? So it's easy. Find an old receiver and do the test for free. Better yet try two or three old receivers, they are around. If you like what you hear then it's your equipment at hand now, you can end up actually using an old receiver or start looking for different new or used phonopre-amps. I've purchased old used phono preamps off eBay for $80 which worked perfect for me. Look for one with a bunch of dip swiches, the more the better!

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #47 of 47
From looking at your set-up I would say try a different vinyl pre-amp. Though this IS just a guess as I have not heard or have ever had your exact rig.

Much of the time if your just not getting a load setting with a certain vinyl pre-amp the signal is going to be thin and lifeless. Going and demoing different vinyl preamps is one way. The other is just find some old receiver from the 1970s or 1980s plug your turntable in and plug your headphones in and see if you have made a slight step closer to the sound you are looking for. Your cartridge and turntable are in chance maybe just fine.

I've had vinyl from the early 1970s on and in turn have ended up with a bunch of different set ups over the years. The vinyl pre is really the most important part if your trying to get authority and dynamics, basicly the loudness your used to getting from digital. I have no reasons to get on a vinyl VS digital soapbox here as many have, just due to the fact that I have enjoyed both. Both formats have their ups and downs.

When trying different preamps I was blown away as to the changes. At times a friend would give me one and I would spend the night trying different settings but still not finding the sound. Finally I actually made a thread in Headfi around 2009 and purchased the phono preamp that was suggested here, of all places.

The more expensive phono-pre is going to offer more settings to change the signal load. Also if you find a receiver to right away get you a better sound, then you'll be on the right track. Everyone is different from what sound they are looking for. I heard $200 vinyl rigs which sounded great and $100K vinyl rigs which sounded great. Money can take your sound really far, but you can find plenty of folks who love the mid-Fi tone they achieved with just the right combo. I've had maybe 10 $200-$300 vinyl set ups and loved them all. They all had a slightly different sound. It's about finding your sound.

I scanned the thread and this suggestion was not offered up yet? So it's easy. Find an old receiver and do the test for free. Better yet try two or three old receivers, they are around. If you like what you hear then it's your equipment at hand now, you can end up actually using an old receiver or start looking for different new or used phonopre-amps. I've purchased old used phono preamps off eBay for $80 which worked perfect for me. Look for one with a bunch of dip swiches, the more the better!

Look for an integrated amp with adjustable settings for phono, like this one (the amp I own):

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-F700ES.html

Sansui, JVC, Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, Denon, Kyocera, and other companies produced similar integrated amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back