Why does mainstream America not care about food?
May 30, 2008 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
When I was in Mexico, the food was amazing. The same with other countires I've visited. Coming back to America, I buy something to eat and it is expensive (a simple lunch about $10) and it tastes like packaged factory food for a numb palate. Why are Americans satisfied with sterile tasting industial food with little flavor?

An irony is that since Americans are satisfied with mediocre food found in the many of these small towns nationwide, they are so fat as they seem to be eating so much of it.

????

I don't get it.

May 30, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 72
How bout you pay and send us to different countries so we know what real food taste like?

Time, convenience, money, and not knowing better. I eat mostly mediocre food because it's more cost-effective. I wanted to learn how to cook awhile back, but I'm holding off because it's more expensive from a personal standpoint.

As for eating out, I believe many people do have good taste. The smaller, lower-cost food joints do pretty damn well. At my aunt's restaurant, some of the best stuff was around $6. People said the food tasted better than the overpriced "fancy" Asian joints. Which goes into my other point: Some people are just idiots. They think if the place looks upscale, the waitresses are hot, and prices are high, the food must be the ****. They'll eat it, notice it tastes like crap, but won't acknowledge it because they believe that how it's "supposed" to be. (or because they don't want to admit the $30 steak they got has the same texture as cow pie)

Quote:

they are so fat as they seem to be eating so much of it.

You know you can get fat at off "amazing" food as well?

May 30, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 72
Hmm. Because mainstream America is busy with work, raising their families, and not going into debt? And also laziness in some measure.

Even in my family, we eat Taco Bell frequently because it is quite satisfactory. We eat at our favorite Italian restaurant weekly, but it is actually more unhealthy than Taco Bell. It is frankly convenient to settle for "mediocre" food, and the fast food restaurants in my area are very clean.

May 30, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 72
In Asia, food is the most important topic of the day. Here in Singapore, I have a food market across the street selling food from all over the world. It's great! In The Netherlands, lunch is a sandwich with cheese. Here it is Laksah, Kwai Tiau, Indian, Malay, Chinese whatever you like. And there are almost no obese people here because you eat when you're hungry and the portions are small.

May 30, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You know you can get fat at off "amazing" food as well?

True. But I see in other countries where the food is amazing, the people are thin. In America, a lot of the food is not that good but the people are fat. This is the irony that perplexes me. Logic would make me think that Americans should be thinner since most of the food is mediocre. But it's the opposite. This America phenomenon was really noticeable after traveling abroad.

May 30, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #8 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True. But I see in other countries where the food is amazing, the people are thin. In America, a lot of the food is not that good but the people are fat. This is the irony that perplexes me. Logic would make me think that Americans should be thinner since most of the food is mediocre. But it's the opposite. This America phenomenon was really noticeable after traveling abroad.

In lots of those other countries, the people smoke so much that it suppresses their appetite? Also, Americans snack between meals, drink soda, and also consume high-calorie alcoholic drinks.

May 30, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 72
Maybe it's the cigarettes. When I was in Paris, the food was stunning. I mean it would be devestatingly good in a simple common cheap cafe. But the people do love the cigarettes.

May 30, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #10 of 72
"mainstream" America does not care about anything deeply. This is not to say individuals don't have their own passions/depth, but as a whole our society really has no "roots." Of course, this is partially due to being a melting pot society with a relatively short history, but also due to much of that history having taken place in the industrial age, where decisions were based more on economics and the bottom line than anything else. The only big thing in America is "the next big thing" and what we enjoy presently, we generally discard and forget just as quickly.

May 30, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #11 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"mainstream" America does not care about anything deeply. This is not to say individuals don't have their own passions/depth, but as a whole our society really has no "roots." Of course, this is partially due to being a melting pot society with a relatively short history, but also due to much of that history having taken place in the industrial age, where decisions were based more on economics and the bottom line than anything else. The only big thing in America is "the next big thing" and what we enjoy presently, we generally discard and forget just as quickly.

Heh. Pretty much.

May 30, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #12 of 72
Spareribs, where do you live?

Not all of America has bad food. There's amazing food here in Los Angeles. You won't find it at Applebee's or in a fast food place, though. Weird thing is that you only get it at high end restaurants and small ethnic places.

Excellent food in the Pacific Northwest, too. Living in the Willamette Valley was such a blessing - so much food is grown/raised locally there and quite a few places make a point of using it.

The line in the sand for good food seems to be how close the owner is to the shop. If corporate in Atlanta is running things, the employees don't give a crap. But if you've got a first gen immigrant running the show, they really care. Professional chefs/owners on premises are the same.

May 30, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 72
umm... I live in a college dorm...thus, I look forward to taco bell.

Sorry, but it is the truth.

However, I do frequent some very nice resturants.

IMO: Good food is stuff that tastes good and gives you no issues. Food that makes you flatulant is not good food. Food that gives you the runs is not good food. Food that poisons you is not good food.

Sometimes though....you just want something sticky and artificial. Honestly though, I always keep some red wine - EVO - Fresh Parmisean -Baguets not too far away! Combine that with some edamame and you have my lunch.

May 30, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #15 of 72
I live in the North Eastern part of the U.S., not far from Philadelphia. I agree the food in L.A. is above average in America since I have visited my dad who lives there. People in L.A. also are thinner too than other parts of America. I guess yummy food makes you thinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back