Why does mainstream America not care about food?
May 30, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #16 of 72
As someone who has worked a number of years in the restaurant industry, I'll tell you why we have bad food.

Quantity over quality--people have this misconception that enormous portions means they're getting a value, even if said enormous portions are of lackluster quality.

Also, as was mentioned previously, the American restaurant industry knows the money is in the people who don't have time to cook their own food and consequently don't have time to sit in a nice restaurant and wait for someone else to cook their food. Thusly, we have an overabundance of places that serve prepackaged and preassembled items.

Sure, you may go out to that nice restaurant and spend $80+ on dinner and drinks with your sweetie once a month or so, but you're spending far more hitting up Taco Bell or McDonald's every day for $5 lunches.

The first world, not just America, is largely obsessed with processed food for reasons of convenience and cost-effectiveness. Fresh and whole foods have much shorter shelf lives and are more difficult and time-consuming to cook a meal with.

And while this isn't something folks think about often, it is true. The omnipresence of the "mega-mart" in America leads to a paucity of whole foods and a wide availability of inexpensive processed foods.

I barely exercise (other than walking as my primary means of transportation) and I maintain a fairly healthy weight despite the fact that I cook without regard to calorie content. Generally the summer is enough to knock out what the winter packs on; I swim constantly as it's the only exercise that doesn't drive me up the wall from boredom. Yes, I do smoke, and contrary to popular belief smoking does not really make you eat that much less. It seems like it does because most people who are trying to quit smoking will eat more than usual while going through nicotine withdrawal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess yummy food makes you thinner.

Fresh and whole foods are much better for you, taste better and are more satisfying (you eat less without realizing it). Processed foods are filled with tons of bizarre chemicals that the human body has to deal with, often in a manner that makes you feel unpleasant.

May 30, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #17 of 72
mmm. I think you got the taste of food correct. My parents try not go out to eat because they seem to acknowledge that the food usually tastes like doo doo and sometimes, it doesn't go well with the body. Like for example, sometimes after eating from certain restaurants, my body gets exhausted. No, its not food coma, because this seems to make me feel lazy for the whole day. And who doesn't hate being gassy after a big meal? Some restaurants give you that uncomfort that actually turns you off from those certain restaurants.

With all the chemicals in our food today, people want to eat large amounts of food because they usually can't stop and I admit, when I do go out, sometimes I don't think the food is great but I still eat it all because I can't stop sometimes. This may just be me, but with things like MSG to "enhance" the flavor of cheap foods, it is pretty darn easy to get into a habit of eating large amounts of crap. And even if the expensive restaurants sell bad tasting food, I bet lots of people go for the atmosphere. I know that sometimes my parents will stop going to a restaurant if the service was bad even if the food was good. Thats how people are.

Really, the only way to counter this is to cook at home and not try and use packaged products. As synaesthetic said, I also barely exercise but I'm considerably thin and I don't care about the calorie intake. But since I go out and eat (in fast food or nice restaurants) around once a month, and try and refrain from eating at school, I keep a healthy weight. I thank my parents for this, but one thing that I have to eat once in a while is a nice In-n-out burger
biggrin.gif
It may be fast food, but it tastes so darn good to me
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #18 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quantity over quality.

Yes, I am with you on this one.
...and from looking at the "general" US population it seems like they have had too much to eat.

May 30, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #21 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in the North Eastern part of the U.S., not far from Philadelphia. I agree the food in L.A. is above average in America since I have visited my dad who lives there. People in L.A. also are thinner too than other parts of America. I guess yummy food makes you thinner.

I'm from Boston and have visited Philly a few times. The gym membership costs in Philly are wayyyy more than the costs in Boston. My GF pays 50/mo in Philly...I pay slightly less than 20/mo. No wonder everyone is fat, they can't afford a gym membership with those rates!

May 30, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #22 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as a whole our society really has no "roots."

American society has deep roots that changed the world for all ages to come.

May 30, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #24 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can find some of the most amazing food imaginable anywhere but you have to know where to look.

Or, use Chowhound.com . Think of it as head-fi for food.

May 30, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #25 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can find some of the most amazing food imaginable anywhere but you have to know where to look.

or just come visit Vancouver - our food selection isn't bad
wink.gif

May 30, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #26 of 72
I agree about food being pretty good here in LA. Like people said just avoid franchises and go to local places near you. For example Chinese food, you go to areas where there are a lot of Chinese people and go to restaurants that are run by them not panda express. Mexican food go to local favorites that aren't mainstream they taste better and are cheaper. Korean food, don't go to a korean bbq buffet go to restaurants (they have korean bbq restaurants that are unlimted here if you want that). You can go on and on...
We use yelp.com around here, chowhound isn't as popular.

May 30, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #27 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and from looking at the "general" US population it seems like they have had too much to eat.

X2. And that always made me wonder. It's so easy to cook. It also doesn't have to be very expensive either. We both work everyday and are tired when we get home but we always cook (except on saturday; that's our evening off and we go out for dinner). From the answers here it seems a lot of people go out for dinner and don't cook. That's really astonishing to me.
Eating good food and cooking is like listening to your favourite music through a killer setup.
It's such a joy and relaxing to do.

May 30, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. And that always made me wonder. It's so easy to cook. It also doesn't have to be very expensive either. We both work everyday and are tired when we get home but we always cook (except on saturday; that's our evening off and we go out for dinner). From the answers here it seems a lot of people go out for dinner and don't cook. That's really astonishing to me.
Eating good food and cooking is like listening to your favourite music through a killer setup.
It's such a joy and relaxing to do.

One word: dishes.

May 30, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #29 of 72
Food basically bores me. Sometimes you get lucky and get nice fresh stuff, which is where the secret lies. Fresh is good. But it also depends on the power of my appetite. I've had $300 French meals that have underwhelmed me, whereas I've encountered fresh McD's cheeseburgers that blew me away- you may laugh at that, but it's happened - only once or twice in my ilife. A McD's cheeseburger made just right and fresh off the griddle. The bun super fresh and soft. Exactly the right dollop of catsup. A fresh bit of meat at just the right temperature.... Amazing. It's a mental thing alot of the time. Something new is always interesting -- like the first time I ate at Chipolte. Two years later, Chipolte tastes dull and boring. Same food, different outlook on it. But ultimately, I don't really care that much about food. The greatest things I've had lately were these perfectly cooked french fries at some little stand. Heavenly. Hot, crispy, perfectly salted. At that moment, the best things I'd ever tasted. Whereas I had venison at the Helmsley Palace in some fancy sauce that pissed me off during $400 meal. Cie la vie.

May 30, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #30 of 72
I eat lots of uncooked veg every day, no seasoning nothing.[except a some fresh chillies for a little lift]
The tastes and textures are exquisite.

Reasonably priced good fresh stuff is readily available in the UK, are people saying this is not the case in the USA! ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back