WHY DOES ANYONE BUY NON PLANAR HEADPHONES
Oct 1, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #16 of 31
for me at least it's simple: weight.
on occasion I spend several hours with headphone on, and while I really like how some of the Audeze headphones sound, I'd rather have no music than spend hours carrying those on my head.
also they tend to be expensive, which is obviously relevant to anybody on a budget. so maybe OP's question should be: why aren't all rich people with the neck of a bison, using planar? :wink:
To play devils advocate, you could always buy from Hifiman. i find 90% of their cans light and comfortable for many hours of listening. I borrowed a friends H1kSE for a weekend. and used it from 10am until 5:30pm with no issues at all. light and comfortable, MAYBE got a tiny bit warm in the ear cups, but thats only natural since i only tool them off once during that period to eat lunch.

granted, they are expensive but i find better value for money than Audeze considering Audezr is wayyyy heavier and has worse qc among their headphones.

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #18 of 31
I'm still planer to participate but the heading, troll bait.

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #20 of 31
AFAIK, the only region of the spectrum where planar tech has an inherent advantage over dynamics is the bass and the overall linearity up to roughly 1KHz. Above 1KHz, planars don't do any better than dynamics. In fact, CSD plots show that planar drivers tend to suffer a lot from ringing problems.

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #21 of 31
Forget expense as you can get audeze el8 Oppo 3 etc, cheap,
So what I’m getting mainly is weight is the only real reason?
Dude, it's all subjective opinion. I wasn't down with the PM3. Weight isn't the only factor. The others have been mentioned many times. I'm not even sure why people keep responding to this trolling type thread. Not sure why I am either. Deuces

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #22 of 31
for me at least it's simple: weight.
on occasion I spend several hours with headphone on, and while I really like how some of the Audeze headphones sound, I'd rather have no music than spend hours carrying those on my head.
also they tend to be expensive, which is obviously relevant to anybody on a budget. so maybe OP's question should be: why aren't all rich people with the neck of a bison, using planar? :wink:
If it is weight the Ether-2’s are coming in at 290 grams much less than many dynamics but yes they are quite expensive . One thing I do find disconcerting is you think only rich people have Planars? I guess it can’t be that someone just loved the sound and saved up to buy a pair of expensive planars not just rich people pretty condescending on your part. I work my ass off for everything I have and fault me for working 50 hours plus a week to get what I have . I have respected you on a lot of your post dealing with Sound Science that I totally don’t agree with but do respect your opinion but this one sorry you have lost me on. Why bring some stupid class thing in on it.

Oct 2, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #24 of 31
If it is weight the Ether-2’s are coming in at 290 grams much less than many dynamics but yes they are quite expensive .
that's certainly a weight that my weak neck is interested in trying. although 16ohm and no given sensi(or am I just bad at google?) scares me a little.
One thing I do find disconcerting is you think only rich people have Planars? I guess it can’t be that someone just loved the sound and saved up to buy a pair of expensive planars not just rich people pretty condescending on your part. I work my ass off for everything I have and fault me for working 50 hours plus a week to get what I have . I have respected you on a lot of your post dealing with Sound Science that I totally don’t agree with but do respect your opinion but this one sorry you have lost me on. Why bring some stupid class thing in on it.
you're reading way too much into my post, and I did at no point say what you think I think. I said "also they tend to be expensive, which is obviously relevant to anybody on a budget". is this what makes you react like this? why wouldn't someone on a budget find the price relevant?
and then I said "so maybe OP's question should be: why aren't all rich people with the neck of a bison, using planar? :wink: " to replace OP's strange question(IMO) with my own strange question as a joke. is the wink emoji giving away my ambition to create a world where people with strong neck power can't oppress those with neck pain in the bison community? and just now, by replying to a clear misunderstanding about a sarcastic remark, with another sarcastic remark, am I making you my enemy for life and increasing the misunderstanding? I hope not, but I'm trying anyway because I like to live dangerously.

Oct 2, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #25 of 31
You’re trying to make a very large generalization about technology, which is just too broad. It’s like saying that Muay Thai is simply a better form of fighting than Dutch kickboxing. It doesn’t work that way. Both are effective forms of fighting and anyone can become a great fighter utilizing either discipline.

You can’t make a broad generalization that Dutch Kickboxing is superior to Muay Thai, as if any person who studies the Dutch style would always defeat anyone who practices Muay Thai. There are plenty of Muay Thai masters who would thump all but the very elite Dutch kickboxers and visa versa. It’s the individual skill of the fighter that is more important than the style he was taught.

Likewise, there are plenty of crappy headphones that use planar tech that would be far inferior to a multitude of dynamic headphones. And the same can be said in reverse. It’s how well the technology is implemented for a particular model that matters the most.

The bottom line is that your generalized statement is simply wrong no matter which way you frame it. All planars are not better than all dynamics and all dynamics are not better than all planars. It’s not that simple.

Useless wall of text... If you don't agree to his argument "all planars are better than dynamics" you should provide a counter-argument (explain why some dynamics sound better than planars with sonical terms)

Oct 2, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #26 of 31
Useless wall of text... If you don't agree to his argument "all planars are better than dynamics" you should provide a counter-argument (explain why some dynamics sound better than planars with sonical terms)

He didn’t make an argument. He asked a question, and I answered it. This wasn’t an exchange on a debate team.

Oct 7, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #27 of 31

Provide a counter argument to someone making a useless statement starting, "If THEY said..." lol.

Oct 7, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #28 of 31
Planar magnetics have always been my least favorite type of driver due to how most of the ones I've tried sound... they simply lack the punch and impact you get from a good dynamic driver. Most PMs are simply too flat and boring sounding to me, I like my subbass to have weight behind it and slap you upside the head... planars simply don't do that - because physics of a driver that simply cannot push air volume like a dynamic driver. I like the Fostex biodyna subbass.... specifically the TH-X00 Purpleheart's rediculous low end slam. What planar can match it and sound lively, warm, full, and punchy at the same?

Planar Electrostatic are different than Planar Magnetic and I like them equally to Dynamic drivers. Not flat sounding, very punchy and dynamic, some of my favorite subbass even if not having the impact of a good dynamic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back