Why do you prefer iem's over earbuds?
Apr 10, 2018 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Meelis

100+ Head-Fier
Do they sound better? I imagine the in ear canal pipe sound cannon will damage hearing more?
For now i use AKG Y15, they have some resonance like closed headphones.
Anything better under $600 (iems or earbuds) for iBasso DX150?

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 4
Do they sound better? I imagine the in ear canal pipe sound cannon will damage hearing more?

IEM shells typically can house larger dynamic drivers with more airspace or more BA drivers, so you tend to get a wider and flatter response, assuming you're using one that is properly designed.

Ergonomics on most tend to be better as they'll stay in the ears better while moving, particularly those that are meant for deeper insertion and then wrap around over the ear then back down. That also makes for lower microphonics as it won't bounce around as much even if you don't wear it inside a jacket. Some CIEMs have a cable mount that go down and rely more on the custom fit to keep them in place and just a little from tightening up the cable at the base of the skull.

The way the ear tip is in the ear canal seals it better so you get better isolation so you hear less ambient noise.

If you hear less ambient noise then you're less likely to compensate by cranking it up, which mostly offsets having the soundwaves pressurizing the air in the ear canal. 64Audio has the Adel vents to let some of the air vented out like a pressure cooker whistling.

Anything better under $600 (iems or earbuds) for iBasso DX150?

Technically, nearly all of them.

Subjectively, that's hard to answer which one you'd like over your current earbuds.

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 4
I don’t like earbuds as they hurt my ears after a few hours so haven’t tried a lot of the higher end models but as most TOTL makers go wit iems so will I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back