Why do you people spend hundreds of dollars on headphones
Jul 5, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #108 of 134
As much as I want a DSLR or mirrorless, I don't take that many photos all together. Full manual or close to full manual on a P&S is good enough for most of us.

Audio is a hobby or "passion" many of us are willing to pour money into, just like many other things out there people like to invest plenty of time or money into. The people who get into these hobbies can feel the differences through their investments. In this case, we can hear how things being to sound better through our investments in headphones, DACs, and amps.

Ya, photography is also a hobby and passion, people taking a picture with the point and shoot don't understand until they get hand on experience with DSLR. (I used to shoot with powershot)

That's why there are DLSR lenses as expensive as top notch tube amps. For example a professional cinematic lenses start at $80k. ouch.
Then you will need different set of primes and fast lenses to obtain the maximum result. :)

Again, Audio or photography are both hobby, we should stop at some point.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #109 of 134
I spend thousands of $$$ on headphones and IEM's because I've spent 10x that amount on music over my lifetime and I'm at the stage now where I want to appreciate the music I have to the fullest, before going through another collection expansion. Starting from a humble Koss "The Plug" and Sony over-the-ear headphones and graduation to the likes of HD800 and AD2000x and even the Brainwavz B2 is a very noticeable and worthwhile improvement.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #110 of 134
Quote:
I spend thousands of $$$ on headphones and IEM's because I've spent 10x that amount on music over my lifetime and I'm at the stage now where I want to appreciate the music I have to the fullest, before going through another collection expansion. Starting from a humble Koss "The Plug" and Sony over-the-ear headphones and graduation to the likes of HD800 and AD2000x and even the Brainwavz B2 is a very noticeable and worthwhile improvement.

+1, my CD collection has probably cost me over $7k so a mere $275 on second-hand HD-600s to hear what I've been missing of all that music is peanuts.  It's as if I had replaced all my CDs with new and improved "remastered" editions, at the cost of 40¢ per disc.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #112 of 134
Quote:

Ya, photography is also a hobby and passion, people taking a picture with the point and shoot don't understand until they get hand on experience with DSLR.

Cheap headphones, as long as you know what you're doing when buying them, will offer you more or less the same technical prowess you would get with the ten times more expensive modern mid-fi headphones. Some cheap headphones will do even better.

I'm not aware of the technical progress made in photography in the last few decades but would be willing to bet it dwarfs that of headphones, so that comparison is a tricky one.

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #114 of 134
OP

Such a cool question to be asking here.  If you look in your rear vision mirror I bet you can see a crowd of angry headfiers carrying flaming torches and waving pitch forks.

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #115 of 134
All I want to know is:

Why do you people spend so much on expensive toilet paper!!!!!

I always buy bum fluff with the thinnest sheets and never get any on my fingers.

YOU FOOLS!

Jul 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #116 of 134
I spend that much, and more, for many reasons, including:

1) I've worked hard to establish my career, and to put it bluntly- I can.
2) This is one of my chosen hobbies, so it interests me to do so.
3) There may be diminishing returns, but there are returns as you go up in scale.  No- price does not equaal quality, but it has a strong co-relation.
4) I would be thrilled if I could find headphones below 'hundreds' of dollars that approach the Hifiman HE-5LE in terms of frequency reponse, natural timbre, tone, dynamics and micro-detail.  I have a feeling I would spend more buying cheaper headphones than I would just getting the HE-5LE and being done with it.

But that's just me!

Jul 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #117 of 134
Quote:
4) I would be thrilled if I could find headphones below 'hundreds' of dollars that approach the Hifiman HE-5LE in terms of frequency reponse, natural timbre, tone, dynamics and micro-detail.  I have a feeling I would spend more buying cheaper headphones than I would just getting the HE-5LE and being done with it.

I'd be interested in comparing the HE-5 to my modded Sennheiser Unipolar stats (that go for $30–100 used). I'd also be interested in comparing some higher-end vintage orthos (<$100 used) to the HE-5.

Make it so, people who donate expensive headphones to guys like me.

Jul 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #118 of 134
Quote:

I'd be interested in comparing the HE-5 to my modded Sennheiser Unipolar stats (that go for $30–100 used). I'd also be interested in comparing some higher-end vintage orthos (<$100 used) to the HE-5.

Must say you have awoken my interest. Kinda got a foot into that vintage-ish audio world with my new Stax system.

Jul 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #119 of 134
Quote:

The more I look at that response, the less I can argue that point.  Except for one thing: knowing what you just wrote takes a fairly significant amount of knowledge and experience.  When I wandered down this potential rabbit-hole, I had in mind two variables: a relatively new hobbyist, and off-the shelf new gear. Silly me!

I absolutely agree with you and what you wrote.  I seldom, if ever, buy new gear.  I'm always on the lookout for a bargain, be it new old stock, or something on sale on ebay or the like.  But to make a really great find takes quite a bit of knowledge and experience, which usually means spending a lot of time and money researching and buying different gear. 

Anyway, you got me on that one. 
L3000.gif

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #120 of 134
Why we spend money on headphones; because we have the means to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back