Why do you people spend hundreds of dollars on headphones
Jun 16, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #46 of 134
Quote:
I'm not an astrophysicist or anything, and I understand your point about bodies affecting one another, but doesn't what you're saying actually illustrate that one orbits the other and it isn't a question of coordinates? From what very little I know, orbit is established by mass and so the lower-massed planets orbit the greater-massed sun while bodies of even lower mass sometimes get caught in the gravitational pull of planets and become moons.

Ignoring the effect of other masses, neither body revolves around the other. They both revolve around the center of mass. In cases where one is much more massive (as with the earth and sun), the center of mass can be within the larger body.

Also, there are other bodies in our solar system that affect the motion of both the earth and the sun.

Jun 16, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #47 of 134
Quote:
That does raise another point, though, how do you present two products as equally good? "Good" is subjective and one's preference for the sound of one earphone does not technically make it better than the other. If it were clear that two earphones were equal in all but price, I'm quite certain everyone would go for the one that costs less. If only the hobby were that simple...

For the purpose of the argument, whichever way you define good, two headphones are equally good if you find them so.

I'm not sure if it's the hobby being complicated or rather people being unwilling to absorb information counter to their worldview.

Jun 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #48 of 134
Quote:

For the purpose of the argument, whichever way you define good, two headphones are equally good if you find them so.

I'm not sure if it's the hobby being complicated or rather people being unwilling to absorb information counter to their worldview.

Two headphones might be good, yet good in different ways.
So practically, you may find two headphones equally good, albeit for different reasons and purposes.
I for instance have not yet found two headphones I liked equally, let alone for the same sake.

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #51 of 134
Yeah...the OP isn't really contributing to the discussion. 

Personally, while on the subject, I have tried dozens of headphones - good to bad. Then, I listened to the HD800, and haven't found their equal, given my taste in music and sound. And that's why spending a lot on good gear (like the HD800) can make lots of sense.

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #52 of 134
Like any hobby people are willing to part with their hard earned cash to pursue that hobby and have the best that they can afford. Spending a lot of coin on headphones usually results in a higher sound quality which gives the listener more enjoyment of their music. As a sound engineer sound quality is of the upmost importance so i know what i'm mixing will sound good to the end user. Unfortunately i can't use my monitors at night so i use headphones such as the AKG K702 and Sennheiser HD 650 to give me the most accurate playback i can afford while using headphones to mix.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #53 of 134
Better headphones let you hear thing's you otherwise wouldn't be able to

Quote:
I guess it's probably the same logic as why people would spend spend thousands on a more expensive full hd led TV or full HD projector than an old CRT TV
wink.gif

More like why I have a $1000 50" plasma when you can get a 50" TV for $450

Quote:
Why do you people spend hundreds of dollars on <inserthobbyhere>

+1

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #58 of 134
Quote:
It's like asking a sports or luxury car forum "Why don't you guys just drive old, cheap hatchbacks?"

Not at all. For a couple hundred, as per the OP and the subforum we're on, you don't get a luxury pair of headphones. The argument is more like wondering why someone paid a hundred grand for a stock Civic.

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #60 of 134
Quote:
That a product is laden with subjective sentimental value doesn't mean buying it is a wise use of money. A wiser use of money might involve convincing yourself not to let emotion guide your spending, then sussing out whether there are cheaper, better alternatives.

Whether it's wrong to spend unwisely, I don't know.

OK. Next time I am buying a CD I will do it only on the basis of it's price. I won't care at all what kind of music it is on it. I will leave my emotions and preferences aside and buy with my economical mind only.  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back