Why do we allow manufacturers to make unsubstantiated claims?
Jun 27, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #47 of 56
Maybe we like the ditch. Go ahead and discuss away. Just don't tell other people they can't talk about what they want to.
Ok fair enough.....and you won't tell people what they shouldn't do with thier expendable hobby money right?.....ooops I'm in the ditch!!...apologies if you weren't takin a poke at me lol....hard to tell who the target is in here sometimes:)

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #49 of 56
Well, I think it’s time to break this out again, with an actual ditch no less, and directed at no one in particular, BTW: :head_bandage:

Man, when I was a kid the NY local news used the 'Tar Sequence' music from that movie as a bed for the intro and between segments!
(starts 11 seconds in, flyover tanker truck)

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #50 of 56
Seems quite similar to selling a placebo and claiming miraculous effects. Why haven't we made it illegal?

It's not exactly unique to the audio world is it. Health food, skin care products, anti-ageing cream, most of it is probably placebo.
My partner swears by a well-known formulation for the relief of joint pain. It's not cheap, and it's available off the shelf under various brand names, and at various price points. Since I believe it to be a placebo, I tell her to buy the most expensive one - because the more she pays, the more powerful the effect will be.

Jun 28, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #51 of 56
and you won't tell people what they shouldn't do with thier expendable hobby money right?

Feel free to spend your money foolishly... and let me know all about it. I would really like to make fun of that too.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    608 bytes · Views: 0
Jun 29, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #52 of 56
Feel free to spend your money foolishly... and let me know all about it. I would really like to make fun of that too.
I don't see the point in social shaming when all those people really do is spending their very own money to get whatever they want. leave them alone.
when they later come back here trying to spread their delusions onto others, then I'll hold them for you while you kick them in the rhetorical balls. because then we'll be defending the truth, which is a good thing. instead of acting like bigots because someone decided to purchase something we find silly so we make troll them for doing something they wanted to do. :unamused:

on that note, I bought 5 of those maybe a month before the actual cat died, and then 2 more for my mother because she thought it was so dumb that she needed one for her and for her guy.
The-Mountain-Grumpy-Cat-Teal-T-Shirt-_230280-front.jpg

tot legitimate purchase! I think it makes my music better, but I won't claim that it does to anybody who purchases one on the forum.

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #53 of 56
I reserve the right to mock. It's my nature.

Jun 29, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #55 of 56
I don't have any concern about people spending their money on whatever they want. My only issue is that they often then come on to the forums and offer up their thoughts on their new acquisitions in response to other people asking for advice. If a person wants to drop a grand on speaker wire that's fine. Just don't jump on the forums and proclaim "OMG I can't believe the difference my new speaker wire makes! It's night and day! Anyone who has good speakers and is using regular old speaker wire is just not getting the most out of their system!" I think it's a worthy endeavor though to try and at least ensure that people making choices about how to spend their money are doing so in an informed manner. I don't see why a person would want to spend a bunch of money on something without knowing that in an objective sense there isn't much to back up the claims that that expensive new item is actually going to make any real difference...I think there's a big difference between saying "don't do that thing you are thinking about doing" and "before you do that thing you are thinking about doing, here's some information you might want to consider."

(And of course that's aside from the fact that we dour objectivists are walled up here in our own little forum ghetto where we can't really bother the general population anyway! lol)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #56 of 56
My favorite line is "Either you're deaf or your equipment sucks." When someone says that I know that they realize the difference isn't audible, but they can't let go because of their ego. They try to shift from "what exactly are you and I hearing or not hearing?" to "I'm just going to insult you in the hopes that you shut up." It doesn't work with me. It only encourages me to dig deeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back