Why do the 'pro-cable' side refuse to accept the science and do blind tests?
Aug 15, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #106 of 579
I am in the cable camp. Man, to depend on the DBT sounds a bit much in the real world. It sounds like you have not been in this hobby too long. You do have a lot to enjoy on your journey. Just keep your eyes and ears open. You just might be pleasantly surprised.

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #107 of 579

Quote:
I am in the cable camp. Man, to depend on the DBT sounds a bit much in the real world. It sounds like you have not been in this hobby too long. You do have a lot to enjoy on your journey. Just keep your eyes and ears open. You just might be pleasantly surprised.

Almost at 5 years and still counting. Audiophile that is, I have been listening to music since I was in the womb and got my first CD player at 9.

I also do not "depend" on DBT, I use it to reinforce my hearing. So, where this a speech, I would be citing my sources, and building upon them with my proper ideas. A cable believer would have a speech filled with their own beliefs, presented as thoughts. It does not take a rocket scientist to see which one is more reliable.

Cables have nothing to do with how long I have been in the hobby... I am extremely please with my set up, and when the time comes, I will upgrade my source, but for now my daily experiences and set-up are absolutely phenomenal. On the contrary, it is the cable believer that is never happy, and always searching to tweak something, and since that "something" does not exist, you are in a perpetual state of almost satisfied, and are wasting tons of money in the process.

There is 0 advantage to believing in cables, no matter which way you slice it. You are either at worst unhappy and deluded, or happy and deluded, which is not much better.

At best you are blissfully ignorant, at worse you are virulently spreading your obsession in black magic and voodoo to unsuspecting consciousnesses and helping to perpetuate this running joke that lost is humour a long, long time ago.

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #108 of 579
Going almost 30 years in the hobby and 3x your age. All this name calling is not necessary expressing your opinion.

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #109 of 579

Quote:
Going almost 30 years in the hobby and 3x your age. All this name calling is not necessary expressing your opinion.

not expressing my opinion, and like i said, experience experiencing that which does not exist, is not experience, so you are on my level, or worse.

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #110 of 579

Quote:

DBT is very simply, and tells us clearly what machines have been telling us for a very long time, without a bias and preconceived notion, a human can not identify which cable they are listening to, or even come close.

So DBT clearly states that people are a victim of their own minds, not that our ears can pick up this magical change that the machines can't. 

This magical change has names, and it is bias, expectation, pre conceived notion, placebo effect etc etc... it is nothing that an untrained ear cannot hear, or something that requires experience.

It is simply a state of mind and set of beliefs that are totally unrelated to the reality of our world.

to think otherwise is foolish, even if there is the absolute smallest chance that cable believers are right.

I'd quibble a bit with that and say that DBT says that a perceived effect may exist independently of expectation, bias, etc. or it may not, and it is most likely some combination of the two.  And that the small step that is needed to control for the influence of these confounds is just eliminating awareness of the source.  

DBT in itself says nothing about a positive or negative result.  It's just a methodological control.

If people hear a difference with different cables, amps, etc, it may very well be real.  And to echo the op, someone could easily demonstrate that it is real by simply hearing it again (with a few repetitions) without awareness of the source. 

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #111 of 579

Quote:

I'd quibble a bit with that and say that DBT says that a perceived effect may exist independently of expectation, bias, etc. or it may not, and it is most likely some combination of the two.  And that the small step that is needed to control for the influence of these confounds is just eliminating awareness of the source.  

DBT in itself says nothing about a positive or negative result.  It's just a methodological control.

If people hear a difference with different cables, amps, etc, it may very well be real.  And to echo the op, someone could easily demonstrate that it is real by simply hearing it again (with a few repetitions) without awareness of the source. 

DBT will say whether or not a human can actually detect it, or if it is a psychological phenomena.

Considering no one has ever been able to pass a DBT, then we can only understand it as such. To think otherwise is to blatantly ignore the science we have in favour of magic.

Thats what they did in the dark ages. 

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #112 of 579
I like you, Sokolov.

Anyways, everyone defending cables should look up logical fallacies, and then try to stop using them.

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #113 of 579

Quote:
I like you, Sokolov.

Anyways, everyone defending cables should look up logical fallacies, and then try to stop using them.

What fallacies are these? I make all my own cables.

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #114 of 579

Quote:
I like you, Sokolov.

haha well I am glad I am not pissing everyone off...  Part of my melodrama is supposed to be humour.

Debates like these really shouldn't be so serious.

A lot of strong feelings, with only evidence supporting one side does make for some frustration, though.

But to be fair, how much easier would it be, if no one believed in cables? Everyone would have a better system, as funds would go into important pieces, and there wouldn't be all this raged mob mentality supporting black magic and voodoo getting mad when people cite silly things such as "science". Pff crazy scientists.

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #116 of 579
Hey CM, those are a bit much for a hobby. Especially when we do this for fun and our own enjoyment. We are not saving the world, or running for office
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #117 of 579
I think those anti-cablers should shut the hell up and stop trying to shove their own opinions into pro-cablers faces, and vice versa.

If you are happy with cabling, that's fine. If you are happy without a cable, that's fine. You don't have to try and convince the whole world that your camp is better. This hobby is about enjoying the music and if buying after-market cables makes you happy then anyone else who does not accept that fact and feels that they must shove this fact into your face can go stick it...

Let bygones be bygones and enjoy the damn music already...

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #118 of 579
The funny part is that this is a hobby. And with a hobby it is subjective from the start. You choose the path from the beginning. It may go in different directions at times. It is fun to share experiences of triumphs and pitfalls with those on a similar journey.

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #120 of 579
Was it by reading on the internet or by experience?

Quote:
sokolov has been consistently spot on with his posts in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back