Why do the 'pro-cable' side refuse to accept the science and do blind tests?
Sep 3, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #526 of 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stuart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found it ludicrous when the anti-cable crowd hide behind 'statistics'.

Welcome to the science forum.  In the practice of science, a step has to be taken to make sure that a single data point (100% distinction ability in 1 test with 2 cables) wasn't just a lucky outcome (a result 50% achievable by chance alone). Statistics is a system developed to show that a distinction ability/effect was not just a random outcome, by showing that some number of outcomes are almost impossible to achieve by chance alone (for example 7 out of 7 correct choices, which happen 1/2^7 times just by chance).  It's the same technique that has brought you the contents of your entire pharmacy, the additional ~25 years that you will enjoy in your lifespan, and it is used every day to sort real from chance scientific discoveries in all peer-reviewed scientific journals.  And it is imminently applicable to the empirical question of people's ability to actually distinguish different cables.  Reject statistics if you'd like, but I'd like to see a better alternative.
biggrin.gif

A second major issue is the very real and very powerful effects of placebo, expectation and bias, which strongly influence subjective experience (~80 percent of inputs to your visual and auditory cortex are from within your brain, and not your eyes/ears).  So the blind part of the test is to factor out those influences, and see if differences can still be heard with hearing alone.

Yes, I had hearing tests done at a clinic in UCSD three years ago, it's much better than my eyesight.

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #527 of 579
I swear cable discussions....are like discussions on God/Religion.  No one can seem to prove anything or be convinced of anything, and there are extremes at both ends.  

One thing you can be certain of, varying types of cables and people willing to purchase them will never go away (no matter how hard to try forum crusaders).  A lot of people try to force their view on everyone, yet they don't really posses the true proof that there is/isn't a difference.  Hence the debate just goes on forever.  

My blind tests were not some exotic scientific experiment, it was just a simple test that I personally wanted to run.  My friends and I believe there was a pretty nice perceivable difference on the solid core 20 awg upocc.  So that was enough for us.  Since then I have made them some cables as well with the upocc.  I've also replaced my other interconnects with my diy up-occ.  My system sounds fantastic, my friends are happy, and I have no desire to replace the cables I have made in the perceivable future.  

I am not the type of guy that will spend money on stupidly priced cables, I buy it cheap in bulk and make my own cables.  

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #528 of 579

Quote:
Welcome to the science forum.  In the practice of science, a step has to be taken to make sure that a single data point (100% distinction ability in 1 test with 2 cables) wasn't just a lucky outcome (a result 50% achievable by chance alone). Statistics is a system developed to show that a distinction ability/effect was not just a random outcome, by showing that some number of outcomes are almost impossible to achieve by chance alone (for example 7 out of 7 correct choices, which happen 1/2^7 times just by chance).  It's the same technique that has brought you the contents of your entire pharmacy, the additional ~25 years that you will enjoy in your lifespan, and it is used every day to sort real from chance scientific discoveries in all peer-reviewed scientific journals.  And it is imminently applicable to the empirical question of people's ability to actually distinguish different cables.  Reject statistics if you'd like, but I'd like to see a better alternative.
biggrin.gif

Perhaps I misread the paragraph, but I was surprised that you'd consider the possibility of alternatives. 
biggrin.gif
  This in turn, would imply that there are imperfections and that we can't fully rely on it as the generator of truth?  I'm not saying that we should throw out our scientific method, but instead, we shouldn't forget that it's a tool we created to assist us.  As with any tool created by us, it can fail us.  This is the point being made.  However, it's unfortunately taken to the extreme.

A second major issue is the very real and very powerful effects of placebo, expectation and bias, which strongly influence subjective experience (~80 percent of inputs to your visual and auditory cortex are from within your brain, and not your eyes/ears).  So the blind part of the test is to factor out those influences, and see if differences can still be heard with hearing alone.

Yes, yes, yes.  No need to repeat since this has little to do with the point being made.

Yes, I had hearing tests done at a clinic in UCSD three years ago, it's much better than my eyesight.

Haha!  How good are your eyes?  Good one that!!

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #529 of 579

Quote:
No surprises then from the anti-cable crowd then.

Not one of them has answered my question - have you had a hearing test? if you don't know to what extent your hearing is impaired or otherwise of what value is your opinion both to yourself or anyone else. Indeed since so many can hear differences with cables if I was an anti-cable person I would immediately ask myself that question. To not ask that question which is both reasonable and rational implies you have a 'blind faith' in your ability to hear and is entirely un-scientific, or you are too frightened to find out. Imagine spouting anti-cable Kant for years and then finding out your hearing is crap.

I do not need to take a hearing test. I am 52 so I know that my hearing will not be great, however I have tested it and it is as predicted symptomatic of my age with a high frequency cut off  above 15K but with no significant gaps below that point, that said I am more than happy for folks with **much** better hearing than mine to do DBTs on cables, oh hang on they have and nobody has found a difference yet. If your hearing is so much better you are most welcome to test your powers of discrimination with the samples provided on my cables thread earlier. Just tell us how many times you correctly differentiate a difference between them, 10 trial at least please.

No anti-cabler has answered my very simple questiuons about how an EGMS presents itself in space-time or how it travels via an i/c from start to finish - from which we can deduce that they hav'nt got a clue. If you really want to understand how anything actually works and to gain an in depth knowledge of the procedure then you must start with the very basic structure of the materials involved and yes  an EGMS does have a structure just like any other form of energy be it gas/liquid or solid - though in reality nothing is actually solid since everything that exists is dancing an 'atomic dance' - for a better understanding there are many books available for the layman to understand particle physics, one such is the brilliantly written (easy to understand) - The Dancing Wu-Li Masters.

No one answered it because it was frankly irrelevant to the question under discussion.

Does copper/silver/SPC/aluminium/carbon behave differently when an EGMS travels through it - be it a cable or a cap or resistor. I'm being very specific in always using an electrically generated musical signal as the basis because that is what we are dealing with, so many are presenting suedo-intellectual arguments that are fine for use in a philisophical debate but not here on an audio specific forum.One such said that resistors are made to different tolerances and that they would then 'sound' different - EXACTLY - same goes for cables.

Some have raised the entirely appropriate point that it is not our ears which hear but the individual's brain. So, the individual hears through all the filters that they have aquired in living, through education/training/family/DNA etc. - that is what actually is hearing the music - all your life experience, the whole thing is what is actually listening to the music. The more rigid you are in how you 'look at or listen to '  life will determine what you hear or don't hear.

I found it ludicrous when the anti-cable crowd hide behind 'statistics'. I had an uncle who was a professional soldier before WW11. He knew that the suedo-intellectuals would die first - unable to deal with 'life in the moment' but what surprised him was how so many of his best intelligence gatherers/forward patrols were made up of men who had spent the whole of their lives before the war living in the east end of London - the poor could'nt afford holidays in the country, indeed could'nt afford holidays at all. A forward patrol literally lives or dies by it's ability to extract the maximum info from  everything that is going on around them - the ability to hear is crucial to staying alive and here were these East-Enders who had lived their lives in noisy environments  yet, when nec. developed 'bat's ears'. Many of these men who survived the war, simply could'nt handle the noisy city and made lives for themselves in the country. When I worked breifly in Franco's fascist Spain I ran into a bunch of WW11 American vets in Pamplona. Guess what, there was a CSM (same rank as my uncle) who had exactly the same experience with men who had never left New York city before the war. Both these English and Yanks 'developed' the ability to hear  - it meant the difference between life and death.

Please learn to spell pseudo - it is starting to grate a bit. Is this anecdote going anywhere, no didn't think so. As for statistics, this is so important I am appalled you even raise this as a question. Individuals can guess correctly once, twice, three or four times. This is not good evidence. Good evidence is lots of folks able/unable to correctly discriminate over many many trials so that the probability of guessing is reduced to very low levels.

On another thread is a guy called downsize - he ran a hi-fi business and as he said all his salesmen could tell the difference between cables - it's called training.His advice for those who cannot hear the differences with cables - take up another hobby.

This is what is called an anecdote

Someone said my last post was emotional, not by my standards it was'nt but it said a lot about them - listen up - music should be an emotional experience if it's not are you sure your engaged in the right hobby?

So come on all the anti-cablers at least have the balls to say whether you have ever had a hearing test  or not. If you run away from this question all you are doing is exposing your fear, which is probably the basis for your anti-cable views. Take the test and be truthful with the results - you claim to stand by the science - now test your hearing and let us know.

My samples include a 77c unshielded cable and one that is over two orders of magnitude more expensive, you must surely be able to tell them apart to at least 9/10 - please try it.

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #530 of 579

Quote:
No surprises then from the anti-cable crowd then.

Not one of them has answered my question - have you had a hearing test? if you don't know to what extent your hearing is impaired or otherwise of what value is your opinion both to yourself or anyone else. Indeed since so many can hear differences with cables if I was an anti-cable person I would immediately ask myself that question. To not ask that question which is both reasonable and rational implies you have a 'blind faith' in your ability to hear and is entirely un-scientific, or you are too frightened to find out. Imagine spouting anti-cable Kant for years and then finding out your hearing is crap.

No anti-cabler has answered my very simple questiuons about how an EGMS presents itself in space-time or how it travels via an i/c from start to finish - from which we can deduce that they hav'nt got a clue. If you really want to understand how anything actually works and to gain an in depth knowledge of the procedure then you must start with the very basic structure of the materials involved and yes  an EGMS does have a structure just like any other form of energy be it gas/liquid or solid - though in reality nothing is actually solid since everything that exists is dancing an 'atomic dance' - for a better understanding there are many books available for the layman to understand particle physics, one such is the brilliantly written (easy to understand) - The Dancing Wu-Li Masters.

Does copper/silver/SPC/aluminium/carbon behave differently when an EGMS travels through it - be it a cable or a cap or resistor. I'm being very specific in always using an electrically generated musical signal as the basis because that is what we are dealing with, so many are presenting suedo-intellectual arguments that are fine for use in a philisophical debate but not here on an audio specific forum.One such said that resistors are made to different tolerances and that they would then 'sound' different - EXACTLY - same goes for cables.

Some have raised the entirely appropriate point that it is not our ears which hear but the individual's brain. So, the individual hears through all the filters that they have aquired in living, through education/training/family/DNA etc. - that is what actually is hearing the music - all your life experience, the whole thing is what is actually listening to the music. The more rigid you are in how you 'look at or listen to '  life will determine what you hear or don't hear.

I found it ludicrous when the anti-cable crowd hide behind 'statistics'. I had an uncle who was a professional soldier before WW11. He knew that the suedo-intellectuals would die first - unable to deal with 'life in the moment' but what surprised him was how so many of his best intelligence gatherers/forward patrols were made up of men who had spent the whole of their lives before the war living in the east end of London - the poor could'nt afford holidays in the country, indeed could'nt afford holidays at all. A forward patrol literally lives or dies by it's ability to extract the maximum info from  everything that is going on around them - the ability to hear is crucial to staying alive and here were these East-Enders who had lived their lives in noisy environments  yet, when nec. developed 'bat's ears'. Many of these men who survived the war, simply could'nt handle the noisy city and made lives for themselves in the country. When I worked breifly in Franco's fascist Spain I ran into a bunch of WW11 American vets in Pamplona. Guess what, there was a CSM (same rank as my uncle) who had exactly the same experience with men who had never left New York city before the war. Both these English and Yanks 'developed' the ability to hear  - it meant the difference between life and death.

On another thread is a guy called downsize - he ran a hi-fi business and as he said all his salesmen could tell the difference between cables - it's called training.His advice for those who cannot hear the differences with cables - take up another hobby.

Someone said my last post was emotional, not by my standards it was'nt but it said a lot about them - listen up - music should be an emotional experience if it's not are you sure your engaged in the right hobby?

So come on all the anti-cablers at least have the balls to say whether you have ever had a hearing test  or not. If you run away from this question all you are doing is exposing your fear, which is probably the basis for your anti-cable views. Take the test and be truthful with the results - you claim to stand by the science - now test your hearing and let us know.

I have not had a proper hearing test for years, just one on the internet which if I can find I will link to, in which I was fine, so I should go and get one done.

The next part of your post I do not really follow as there are definite differences between cables, that is acknowledged, but how audible are those differences, that is the question here.

I am not hiding behind statistics, I am using them to find out if there is an audible difference between cables or not.

I have no doubt that people's hearing is different and there may well be people with 'golden ears' and there could well be an audible difference in cables that only some can appreciate. Blind testing is a very good way of establishing that.

I have also referred to downsize and wish he would speak more on his blind tests, but he reminded others he was on the part of the forum where such discussion is not allowed and he does not take part in Sound Science discussion AFAIK.  I wish he would publish his test method and results.

I have got the balls to admit to not having had a recent hearing test. I am not aware of any issues, but in the end, if numerous blind tests were conducted then they would even out any hearing extremes.

Sep 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #531 of 579

Quote:

My blind tests were not some exotic scientific experiment, it was just a simple test that I personally wanted to run.  My friends and I believe there was a pretty nice perceivable difference on the solid core 20 awg upocc.  So that was enough for us.  Since then I have made them some cables as well with the upocc.  I've also replaced my other interconnects with my diy up-occ.  My system sounds fantastic, my friends are happy, and I have no desire to replace the cables I have made in the perceivable future.  

Sorry if my post was a bit disparaging, I was not trying to discourage you. I am fully in favour of home testing. I have done plenty myself. The problem with human testing is that there are so many different ways for you to find an effect that was not due to the variable under test. The salesman who nudges the volume up on the amp he wants to sell or says "now hear the difference with this...." or taps their toes noticeably, alll sorts of subtle and less so cues that alter what you think you hear, setting the item order so that the item predicted to be best (and normally most expensive) is last and so on, often done unconsciously.

That is why the science-oreinted lot harp on so much about rigour in testing.

Each time someone puts up a link to a DBT that provides evidence for "no audible difference" between devices the "audible difference" proponents , quite rigthly, challenge the methods and protocols and interpretations in a robust fashion as they should do, no findings should be immune from critical evaluations.

Part of my workaday life is reviewing papers submitted for peer review. You have to look for possible problems, you only want good research to get published, trust me academic review can be a lot less "polite"

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #532 of 579
Did this online from YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G60hM1W_mk

Using my vintage AKG K140s at slightly lower than usual listening volume, with the Scotland vs Lithuania football match on the TV so I can still hear and pick out what the commentators are saying, I could hear sound from just before 30Hz to 12kHz.

Do I pass?

EDIT - according to the internet the normal hearing range of a young adult is 20 to 20,000. I did the test again without the background TV on and the volume set to normal and made it to 16,000kHz.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #533 of 579

What if I repeated the exact same test everyday for a year?  I mean honesltly, each friend sits in a chair, closes his eyes, and listens, its simple... there are no other interactions that were going on.  People just want to over think everything, its simple, its music.... its why I had them use a song they were emotionally involved with and have it so engraved in their minds from the countless times they have heard it.

So on each cable they listen to this song, and the one that they seem to get more into the song or more emotion out of the song = the winner.  In this case everyone chose the up-occ by a significant margin, completely blind, volume knob was never touched.  So really the only arguement against my test was that one cable can sound louder than another, and thats about it.  Regardless, my friends and I have been to a lot of live performances, as well as having tons of music listening under our belts with lots of great equipment.  

My test was simple ....

out of A,B and C.     Which one gave you the most emotion and better experience with the song.  Everyone chose the same one without knowing which one was A,B or C.  

Quote:
Sorry if my post was a bit disparaging, I was not trying to discourage you. I am fully in favour of home testing. I have done plenty myself. The problem with human testing is that there are so many different ways for you to find an effect that was not due to the variable under test. The salesman who nudges the volume up on the amp he wants to sell or says "now hear the difference with this...." or taps their toes noticeably, alll sorts of subtle and less so cues that alter what you think you hear, setting the item order so that the item predicted to be best (and normally most expensive) is last and so on, often done unconsciously.

That is why the science-oreinted lot harp on so much about rigour in testing.

Each time someone puts up a link to a DBT that provides evidence for "no audible difference" between devices the "audible difference" proponents , quite rigthly, challenge the methods and protocols and interpretations in a robust fashion as they should do, no findings should be immune from critical evaluations.

Part of my workaday life is reviewing papers submitted for peer review. You have to look for possible problems, you only want good research to get published, trust me academic review can be a lot less "polite"

Sep 3, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #534 of 579
If I go get my hearing tested, should I object if I fail it and realize that the cables to the headset or whatever it was they were using wasn't cryo-treated, made of  silver, gold, titanium and some new metal they found on mars? II mean honestly, that cable would surely bring out the nuances I was missing. 
k701smile.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #537 of 579
Hearing tests are usually lengths of pure tone are they not? You can either hear a certain frequency or you can't.  I haven't had a hearing test since elementary school so I don't know lol.  Do they now have musical masterpieces in hearing tests?  I don't know what nuances (or emotion) you would be looking for in a single or pure tone/frequency.  :p

Before I fall victim to the endless cable debate, this will be my last post! lol.  Have fun in here guys.
deadhorse.gif

If I go get my hearing tested, should I object if I fail it and realize that the cables to the headset or whatever it was they were using wasn't cryo-treated, made of  silver, gold, titanium and some new metal they found on mars? II mean honestly, that cable would surely bring out the nuances I was missing. 
k701smile.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #540 of 579

Quote:
I swear cable discussions....are like discussions on God/Religion.  No one can seem to prove anything or be convinced of anything, and there are extremes at both ends.  

Funny thing, in the outside world there are double blind studies that successfully test and settle similar hypotheses on the abilities and limits of human perception every day.  Not a controversial topic at all.  In that world, analytical methods and criteria have been beautifully detailed and accepted by overwhelming consensus.  This forum and 16th century Rome are among the only places where these methods are at all in doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back