Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Familiarity.
Ease of use.
Speed.
Reliability.
Compatibility.
Power.

The right mouse button.

Nice summary. But still, I'm a Mac guy (for the most part) and don't see myself switching back any time soon.

Nov 10, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #20 of 283
Quoted for truth:
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh.. No one has mentioned the biggest reason why most people use windows. VIDEO GAMES BOI!

Most big businesses are running Linux or an UNIX variant for their critical apps.
Actually it's mostly the consumer market, and little businesses that are targeted by Microsoft. Their systems cannot be seriously used for bigger, more critical apps.
I use Windows at home because i use my computer mostly as a game console, and games are on Windows. Once all games are on Linux, i will delete Windows from my PC. But this day is still far ahead... I already use Linux at work, actually i've been using Unix variants at work for over 10 years...

As for my parents who dont play any game at all, they use Linux / Firefox / OpenOffice whenever they fire up the computer...

Games are the real only reason people might still use Windows, or maybe Photoshop (which has yet to be ported on Linux)... Otherwise it does everything Windows does, but better, more stable, just as easy if not easier, and even prettier.

Nov 10, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #21 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Familiarity.
Ease of use.
Speed.
Reliability.
Compatibility.
Power.

The right mouse button.

Funny, every one of those things applies to mac for me.

Nov 10, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #22 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surefoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quoted for truth:

Most big businesses are running Linux or an UNIX variant for their critical apps.
Actually it's mostly the consumer market, and little businesses that are targeted by Microsoft. Their systems cannot be seriously used for bigger, more critical apps.
I use Windows at home because i use my computer mostly as a game console, and games are on Windows. Once all games are on Linux, i will delete Windows from my PC. But this day is still far ahead... I already use Linux at work, actually i've been using Unix variants at work for over 10 years...

As for my parents who dont play any game at all, they use Linux / Firefox / OpenOffice whenever they fire up the computer...

Games are the real only reason people might still use Windows, or maybe Photoshop (which has yet to be ported on Linux)... Otherwise it does everything Windows does, but better, more stable, just as easy if not easier, and even prettier.

I disagree that Microsoft product can't be used for serious enterprise class applications. I am personally familiar with quite a number of large installations that have plenty of Windows servers running business critical applications.

Microsoft partners with these organisations, and actively targets other existing large installations.

I managed an enterprise Windows environment for a few years and had many servers that we never had to do maintenance on or reboot. The majority of problems we had were 3rd party application problems rather than Microsoft problems.

I simpy couldn't say that in my experience Unix variants were any more or less reliable than Microsoft server products.

Here's an interesting perspective:
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=2

osmarketsharebd8.jpg

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #23 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by PascalT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably because Linux is a bitch to use and Mac OSX is an overrated piece of crap with about 2 softwares to choose from. Also, Macs are hard to upgrade and you pay 10x more for stuff because it has cheap shiny plastic with an apple on it.

I like your well thought out position and strong points of argument. Perhaps you have a newsletter?

Short of games, the majority of users will be equally happy with a windows machine, a mac, or a linux/bsd box. For scientific computing, any will do. For web browsing, email, instant messaging, music, any will do. For graphic design, video, and music generation, I'd go with macs or pcs, but few people really delve deep into those things, and emulation has come a long way.

Being a fanboy doesn't really contribute to the discussion, and probably qualifies as trolling.

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #25 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I simply don't like change and I happen to bump into Windows first, just as I stumbled upon the iPod first before seeing that the Zune and Creative M were there.

This, I think, is probably the most likely explanation. People hate change.

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #26 of 283
Well, despite what diehard mac and linux supporters would have you believe, there is simply no other substitute for foobar, EAC, and the plugins, features and control they offer under mac or linux. Simple as that.

Same thing goes for games and drivers for obscure or non mainstream hardware.

This of course excludes Vista, which sucks. The best OS right now is XP x64.

There is DX10 -- but I would use a hacked version that ran on XP, even if slower, than use vista. At the very worst, I might have to dual boot with vista if I want to run a program under DX10.

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #27 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, despite what diehard mac and linux supporters would have you believe, there is simply no other substitute for foobar, EAC, and the plugins, features and control they offer under mac or linux. Simple as that.

That assumes you want foobar or EAC
smily_headphones1.gif

many are fine with itunes and itunes-lame, to each their own.

Nov 10, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #28 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This, I think, is probably the most likely explanation. People hate change.

Agree. Mac certainly offers an alternative, but until people become grossly unhappy with what they have, they won't change. And, consumer PCs continue to get cheaper.

I provide computer support to a number of people, and I can honestly say that I would hate to have to support them using a Unix variant. While for others, I am seriously considering suggesting a Mac for their next upgrade.

Personally, I see Mac as the biggest threat to Microsoft PC based market position. The Unix world needs fewer zealots and more substance. I'm not arguing that Unix is bad, but it always seems to end up in a 'Windoze is rubbish' and 'Bill Gates is already too rich' type argument.

Quite simply, IMHO - the solution should fit the need.

BTW - those PC versus Mac ads on TV, they might as well be speaking a foreign language for all the sense they make to the average punter.

Nov 10, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #29 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by PascalT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably because Linux is a bitch to use and Mac OSX is an overrated piece of crap with about 2 softwares to choose from. Also, Macs are hard to upgrade and you pay 10x more for stuff because it has cheap shiny plastic with an apple on it.

What?
There are literarily 10000's of applications for Mac OS X out there. For almost every task you can ever imagine. Sure there are more applications for MS Windows though, since it has ~90% market share and hence more develop for it.

I own two Mac's, and both of them have far less plastic than the average computer. Their entire casing are made of aluminum, and they cost about the same as a comparable computer from any other vendor. Certainly not 10x the price.

Go troll somewhere else!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 10, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #30 of 283
MacOS X is another Unix variant
wink.gif

As for linux market share, it has like 75% of enterprise server market share... The numbers quoted above are global sales, so that includes the monopoly-helped retail sales (microsoft forcing their system everywhere). Look at how any computer or laptop out there is sold with Windows pre-installed... Also these figures are SALES, most Linux installations are NOT bought, or one copy is bought for a lot of computers... You cannot track this system the same way, the figures coming from compared sales are flawed in any case. It would be like tracking Firefox sales, or any other free software... the user base is bigger than you imagine.
From personal experience, Windows is a lot more of hassle to manage, from installation to support, than a good Unix system (be it MacOS, Linux, Solaris...). I have been a sysadmin for quite big user bases with mixed Solaris and Windows NT installations, guess which ate 95% of my time...
As i said Windows still holds because Photoshop and games. When these move on to other platforms it's the beginning of the end for Windows. Vista was the first blow, many developers are considering switching sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back