Why do people think paying a lot for headphones makes no sense but paying a lot for a phone, laptop or anything else does?
Mar 13, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #31 of 41
you don't understand I'm not comparing a phone is just a phone but a low-end smart phone to a high end one. They do the exact same things!

As someone who sells phones, I can assure you that this is, at best, only theoretically true.

As to the original question re: headphones (which I also sell)? Headphones are very easy to use... and just as hard to market beyond aesthetics and brand-awareness. Being an educated headphone consumer requires a ridiculous investment of time.

Sent from my GB08 (4.1.2) leaking SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:
I think the real question OP was trying to ask was:

Why do people make fun of me for spending lots of money on headphones? Even if they don't care about them at all, they don't ridicule other high-end purchases they don't care about. Why do people single out my headphones as a waste of money? 

People just don't understand that even the tiniest difference of sound quality can bring you an abundance of joy.  You can't really blame them.  You can't really understand something if you know nothing.  It also depends on how much is a lot of money to the person.  It could be $200 or even $600. 
Quote:
Actually androids can do everything that you mentioned too. So either way you would be satisfied with both.

The only android that can do anything that an iPhone 5 does as well is probably a GS3.  Sure the other androids like the Droids might do the same things, but not nearly as well.  The same goes for headphones.  They all do the same thing, just not as well.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

People just don't understand that even the tiniest difference of sound quality can bring you an abundance of joy.  You can't really blame them.  You can't really understand something if you know nothing.  It also depends on how much is a lot of money to the person.  It could be $200 or even $600. 
The only android that can do anything that an iPhone 5 does as well is probably a GS3.  Sure the other androids like the Droids might do the same things, but not nearly as well.  The same goes for headphones.  They all do the same thing, just not as well.

about the android vs ios thing, as it goes with headphones, preferences apply, somethings you cannot do on the Iphone while you can do on android phones (widgets for one.) and vise versa. 

Also agree yeah not all of us can differenciate the tiniest differences between coffee,wine,beer,fine dining food the way gordom ramsay does, and not everyone can differenciate headphones they way tyll or we can. We may think spending $50 on a single meal is absurd the same way someone thinks that spending $500 or $1500 on a single headphone is absurd.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Why do people make fun of me for spending lots of money on headphones? Even if they don't care about them at all, they don't ridicule other high-end purchases they don't care about. Why do people single out my headphones as a waste of money? 

Not really since I only have a pair of xb500s which cost me £36

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #35 of 41
It's just about the interests of an individual and how big they're.
Besides that, things have their own price ranges. (a 500€ headphone is considered as high-end, while a 500€ PC certainly isn't)
*Just the 2 cents of a guy who buyes 50€ headphones and kites that cost several k 's*

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:
about the android vs ios thing, as it goes with headphones, preferences apply, somethings you cannot do on the Iphone while you can do on android phones (widgets for one.) and vise versa. 

Also agree yeah not all of us can differenciate the tiniest differences between coffee,wine,beer,fine dining food the way gordom ramsay does, and not everyone can differenciate headphones they way tyll or we can. We may think spending $50 on a single meal is absurd the same way someone thinks that spending $500 or $1500 on a single headphone is absurd.

I agree, it is kind of a preference thing, but not 100%. The fact that this X does Y and this W does Z isn't really an issue, that is mainly preference.  The fact is that most ios devices are simply technically superior, not by a long shot though.  But i still agree.

The only time that anyone cares about quality is when they've got free money to spend.  Once they spend that money, they're hooked and will, for a long time if not forever, care.  That's how i got pulled into this whole audio thing.(On a totally different note lol).
Quote:
It's just about the interests of an individual and how big they're.
Besides that, things have their own price ranges. (a 500€ headphone is considered as high-end, while a 500€ PC certainly isn't)
*Just the 2 cents of a guy who buyes 50€ headphones and kites that cost several k 's*

Yeah. I didn't really consider anything about price ranges, but cell phones and headphones (for most people, not summit-fi'ers) are in a very similar price range, at least when you include the data plans.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #38 of 41
What people are failing to realize is that many smartphone consumers are lead to believe that their phones are actually free. Sign up for a $60/month data plan with activation fees, overages, and other hidden costs, get an iPhone 5 for free with no catch! What a deal! Now, if there existed a music service that cost $40/month and included a "free" Sennheiser HD 598 or some other ~$200-350 set of cans, I can guarantee this board would have a lot more members.

Quote:
When I encounter people like this (some of my closest friends, for example) I compare it to a high end TV. People pay thousands and thousands of dollars on HD or 3D TVs to increase the resolution, saturation, clarity, etc of their visual entertainment right? We do the same for our aural pleasure 
wink.gif

But TV's have also succumbed to Beats syndrome, where it's all about advertising, numbers, and brand image. Every TV you see nowadays is either loaded with a bunch postprocessing garbage like TruMotion, RealMotion, ClearMotion, or whatever else each company wants to call their version; as well as dynamic contrast, dynamic color, Super Resolution, etc. What you get in the end is something that looks good when see the store demo, but you go home and disable as soon as you find out what it actually does to your image. Look up the "soap opera effect" if you're curious.

I'd love to find a "videophile" HDTV that had no postprocessing effects, and a natural image without any of that trash. Kind of like the Stax version of the TV world or something.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Quote:
Actually androids can do everything that you mentioned too. So either way you would be satisfied with both.

Only the s3? LOLz

Sent from my GB08 (4.1.2) leaking SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:
Some people just don't get anything about smartphones. A third party android has nothing on an iPhone . For example, an iPhone has a much smoother display, a LOT more apps, more RAM, is faster (on both Internet and just playing games and whatnot), it looks better, and is compatible with all sorts of things like TVs and whatnot.

Also, in most cases (now and days), you need a nice phone to listen to some music. One that can multitask.

If you have $500, and you only have like a Sansa clip (awesome device for music), and you buy a great pair of cans like the DT880 600 or HD650 with an amp (Fiio E12 or something) (and if you don't think their great, you get my point), you will probably be satisfied.

If you spent it on an iPhone 5, I bet you you'll be satisfied. At least win the first 6 months (give or take). I'm not an apple fan boy, actually, I don't really like them that much, so I'm not biased or anything.

sure sound like one, considering the galaxy s 3, nexus 4, and note II are all better than the iphone 5. (nexus 4 vs iphone 5 has some debate) overall.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

sure sound like one, considering the galaxy s 3, nexus 4, and note II are all better than the iphone 5. (nexus 4 vs iphone 5 has some debate) overall.

They all cost around the same, so it doesn't really matter. Your probably right though, i was just going off of a few other androids that ive tried. I still like the iphone 5, but not as much as the gs3.  I actually really like most of apple's products, i just don't like the whole closed system.  I don't like apple, but i like their products.  For the sake of the thread, we should probably stay off of the topic of android vs ios. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back