Why do people think paying a lot for headphones makes no sense but paying a lot for a phone, laptop or anything else does?
Mar 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

my question was about why do they think someone spending more on heapdhones is absurd not why don't they spend more themselves.

because they place 0 importance in headphones, that's why they think its absurd. Its easy to forget that everyone thinks and sees the world differently.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

my question was about why do they think someone spending more on heapdhones is absurd not why don't they spend more themselves.

People on here think its absurd to spend huge amounts of money on other things beside headphones.

Even you admit to thinking its absurd to spend more on mobiles phones as they apparently "all do the same thing anyway".

So what makes you any different than them?

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:
Headphones do the exact same thing as well!
biggrin.gif

It's just that some do better than others. Just like mobile phones or anything else for that matter.
rolleyes.gif

exactly, that what I've been saying...

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #19 of 41
excuse, me. Don't twist my words, I said in an earlier post "I'm in support of anyone spending more money on something if they really want to for a better quality experience". If I had money to spare I'd probably spend in excess of £300 for a phone too.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:
excuse, me. Don't twist my words, I said in an earlier post "I'm in support of anyone spending more money on something if they really want to for a better quality experience". If I had money to spare I'd probably spend in excess of £300 for a phone too.

But you just said that mobile phones all do the same thing. so it would be pointless to spend more on them.

You're twisting your own words mate.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #24 of 41
So the question is answered already.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #25 of 41
Some people just don't get anything about smartphones. A third party android has nothing on an iPhone . For example, an iPhone has a much smoother display, a LOT more apps, more RAM, is faster (on both Internet and just playing games and whatnot), it looks better, and is compatible with all sorts of things like TVs and whatnot.

Also, in most cases (now and days), you need a nice phone to listen to some music. One that can multitask.

If you have $500, and you only have like a Sansa clip (awesome device for music), and you buy a great pair of cans like the DT880 600 or HD650 with an amp (Fiio E12 or something) (and if you don't think their great, you get my point), you will probably be satisfied.

If you spent it on an iPhone 5, I bet you you'll be satisfied. At least win the first 6 months (give or take). I'm not an apple fan boy, actually, I don't really like them that much, so I'm not biased or anything.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:
Some people just don't get anything about smartphones. A third party android has nothing on an iPhone . For example, an iPhone has a much smoother display, a LOT more apps, more RAM, is faster (on both Internet and just playing games and whatnot), it looks better, and is compatible with all sorts of things like TVs and whatnot.

Also, in most cases (now and days), you need a nice phone to listen to some music. One that can multitask.

If you have $500, and you only have like a Sansa clip (awesome device for music), and you buy a great pair of cans like the DT880 600 or HD650 with an amp (Fiio E12 or something) (and if you don't think their great, you get my point), you will probably be satisfied.

If you spent it on an iPhone 5, I bet you you'll be satisfied. At least win the first 6 months (give or take). I'm not an apple fan boy, actually, I don't really like them that much, so I'm not biased or anything.

Actually androids can do everything that you mentioned too. So either way you would be satisfied with both.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:
Actually androids can do everything that you mentioned too. So either way you would be satisfied with both.

It's something about being human, and the inherent need to 'connect' with others (be it humans, animals, or even objects).

In a way, all successful products are actually targeted to a niche market, even if the 'niche' is more than 50% of the population. Companies spend billions of dollars in R&D to connect with their target consumers. If you're not interested in what others are spending their money on, then you're probably not even in the target consumer.

This discussion will go into a lengthy explanation in human factors, marketing, ergonomics, interface design, industrial design, user friendliness, quality, pricing, value, and etc.

tl;dr - Humans are individuals..

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #28 of 41
I think the real question OP was trying to ask was:

Why do people make fun of me for spending lots of money on headphones? Even if they don't care about them at all, they don't ridicule other high-end purchases they don't care about. Why do people single out my headphones as a waste of money? 

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:
I think the real question OP was trying to ask was:

Why do people make fun of me for spending lots of money on headphones? Even if they don't care about them at all, they don't ridicule other high-end purchases they don't care about. Why do people single out my headphones as a waste of money? 

Because to them the they think spending so much JUST on headphones is a waste, in their view they can't see the value of good headphones cause they haven't heard high end audio for themselves but they can see the value in cars,laptops,computers,phones more easily. I blame it on the current modern human culture.

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #30 of 41
When I encounter people like this (some of my closest friends, for example) I compare it to a high end TV. People pay thousands and thousands of dollars on HD or 3D TVs to increase the resolution, saturation, clarity, etc of their visual entertainment right? We do the same for our aural pleasure 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back