Why do people think paying a lot for headphones makes no sense but paying a lot for a phone, laptop or anything else does?
Mar 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

KElyas

100+ Head-Fier
...sofa or any other product, or even a service like public transport

I think it's becuase it just isn't the norm. I mean a phone's primary use is make calls and entertain. You can get one for £50 that does the same as a £500 but just worse in every way. Just as you can get a £15 pair of heapdhones that do the same thing as a £300 but everything about it is worse. I think even the popularity of Beats hasn't changed this general way of thinking.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 41
"Why do people . . . . "

Because we are all individuals and we all have our little quirks and priorities.

For some headphones are not all that important 
eek.gif

while other things are.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 41
Quote:
...sofa or any other product, or even a service like public transport

I think it's becuase it just isn't the norm. I mean a phone's primary use is make calls and entertain. You can get one for £50 that does the same as a £500 but just worse in every way. Just as you can get a £15 pair of heapdhones that do the same thing as a £300 but everything about it is worse. I think even the popularity of Beats hasn't changed this general way of thinking.

It makes sense. What can you do with headphone? Listen to music.  What can you do with an Iphone or GS3?  Everything!

Im not saying you shouldn't spend a lot for some great cans, but its not really all that crazy to think that way.

Seriously, would you rather get some HD650s or some UE9000s or an iPhone 5 if you don't already have a portable media device?

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 41
Quote:
"Why do people . . . . "

Because we are all individuals and we all have our little quirks and priorities.

For some headphones are not all that important 
eek.gif

while other things are.

yes but why don't they understand that others do? Those same people will find a £1000 laptop fine or a £25,000 normal even though they it may not be important to them.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

yes but why don't they understand that others do? Those same people will find a £1000 laptop fine or a £25,000 normal even though they it may not be important to them.

Because people don't understand what they're missing out on until they''re willing to take the leap and spend that much money on something.

A lot of people on here will think that spending £5000 on a PC is crazy, yet it would make perfect sense to spend that much on headphones and amps in their mind.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 41
Quote:
It makes sense. What can you do with headphone? Listen to music.  What can you do with an Iphone or GS3?  Everything!

Im not saying you shouldn't spend a lot for some great cans, but its not really all that crazy to think that way.

Seriously, would you rather get some HD650s or some UE9000s or an iPhone 5 if you don't already have a portable media device?

well since I listen to music for hours a day and touch my Cowon Z2 most of the time when I need to select new music or go on the internet I'd prefer better headphones. Why do you need a GS3 when you can get a phone for a third of the price that takes photos, makes calls, watches videos, plays games, uses apps etc. already? It's the same thing as why would I need a high end pair of heapdhones over the pair that comes with a phone or mp3 player 

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:
well since I listen to music for hours a day and touch my Cowon Z2 most of the time when I need to select new music or go on the internet I'd prefer better headphones. Why do you need a GS3 when you can get a phone for a third of the price that takes photos, makes calls, watches videos, plays games, uses apps etc. already? It's the same thing as why would I need a high end pair of heapdhones over the pair that comes with a phone or mp3 player 

Because it's better quality.

More expensive headphones sound better (most of the time). More expensive phones run faster and come with more feaures, better cameras.... etc (most of the time).

Some people will happily spend upwards to £50,000 on a car, but they won't go past £20 for a pair of headphones.

Why? Because their interest is with cars, not headphones.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #8 of 41
Quote:
Because it's better quality.

More expensive headphones sound better (most of the time). More expensive phones run faster and come with more feaures, better cameras.... etc (most of the time).

Some people will happily spend upwards to £50,000 on a car, but they won't go past £20 for a pair of headphones.

Why? Because their interest is with cars, not headphones.

I understand that but what I'm in support of anyone spending more money on something if they really want to for a better quality experience but for some reason, the general public don't see that with headphones, maybe because they don't realise that you can get better than what they currently have.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #9 of 41
Cell Phones and laptops each serve many different purposes for many people nowadays.  You can get much more function with an expensive smartphone than you can get with a "dumb" phone -- calling, messaging, shopping, email, GPS directions, media, and thousands of Apps that do other stuff.  And you can do just as much with a laptop, of course.

All you can do with headphones is listen to audio, and sometimes speak into a mic.

I don't think its difficult to understand splurging a bit on cell phones and laptops, and refusing to splurge on something with only one function.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 41
What I don't understand is people paying so much $$$ per month for phone service that they could lease an entry-level car for less. And tons of people now are paying a lot of money for headphones. $100+ headphones make up most of the market now, largely due to Beats. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:
I understand that but what I'm in support of anyone spending more money on something if they really want to for a better quality experience but for some reason, the general public don't see that with headphones, maybe because they don't realise that you can get better than what they currently have.

Why don't you spend more money on a car then?  I'm sure lots of car hobbiests will tell you that you're missing out on high quality with the current model that you own.

I'm sure they'll view you as part of the "general public".

The point i'm trying to make is that the mentality on here isn't any different than the mentality of somebody who has a hobby in something else.

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 41
In technical terms low end smartphones and high end smartphones do the same things on paper, make calls, sms, camera, other usual stuff.
In technical terms low end headphones and high end headphones do the same things on paper, produce sound and direct it into the ear.
Difference? The quality of the experience using the product. Some people don't place importance on a headphone as much as a smartphone cause they get more joy from a high end smartphone than a headphone.
Also they do not know the difference of using a high end headphone, so they do not know the experience of a high end headphone, but would probably know the experience of a high end smartphone, so they would invest in something that they know will bring more joy to them.
Now for those who tell us that they would not pay $1000 for our gear we let them try, they probably do not listen to music much and would rather invest in other hobbies (eg camera,fast com/graphic cards,cars).

also on side note wouldn't designer handbags make even less sense?
tongue.gif
ph34r.gif
 since they practically perform the same, they just are branded like Gucci ,Jimmi Choo, Boss, Hugo,and i think i got the brands mixed up (not to say that not all of them look nice, once again the power of branding and i wont get to beats. that's for another thread.)

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Why don't you spend more money on a car then?  I'm sure lots of car hobbiests will tell you that you're missing out on high quality with the current model that you own.

I'm sure they'll view you as part of the "general public".

The point i'm trying to make is that the mentality on here isn't any different than the mentality of somebody who has a hobby in something else.

my question was about why do they think someone spending more on heapdhones is absurd not why don't they spend more themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back