Why do people spend so much on canalphones when they can just buy Livewires/Freqs?
Aug 27, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #16 of 43
because customs is not always=better(there's even a thread on that) and hey what would the fun be in that? that would be the same as if i had gorectly for the beta22 fully balanced amp(high end DIY) instead of making other first as the Mini^3, bijio, and so on! it's to exspirience different sounds,types, and so on!

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #17 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can somebody explain why people spend over $500 dollars on a bunch of canalphones, sometimes $250 for just one of the pairs when all they have to get is get custom fitted for Livewires or Freqs and never buy anything again?

Aren't you mixing up quality of sound/material and wearing characteristics? People do not spend several hundred Dollars on better fitting IEMs, but on better sounding IEMs and the SQ cannot be customized!

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #19 of 43
Wow. Your dad makes them? cool haha.

Another reason for i think for not getting the customs is due to the complicated and inconvenient procedures.
No instant gratifications too( did i use it correctly )?
You actually have to wait a long time before you can actually hear it.

Aug 27, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #20 of 43
New gear is always coming out every year. Assuming there's going to be some curiosity with that, the most affordable journey one can take is to buy re-saleable IEM's to help fund the next purchase. ANY custom IEM is a total splurge purchase IMHO because as soon as you tire of it it is junk.

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure?

Two years from now there might be a LiveWires MAX that is said to be three times as good with only 20% increase in price, would you come back to tell us how your new LiveWires MAX will end your journey for great sound once and for all - again?

I'd stick with my Livewires because spending another few hundred dollars is insane considering my current ones are fine is insane, especially considering that I can't sell my customs. I'd be tempted to find out more about them, sure, but until my Livewires get snatched away by a sea gull or something, I'm not the kind of person who fixes something if it's not broken.

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demix500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imagine what car you'd be driving, tv you'd be watching, computer you'd be using, clothes you'd be wearing, etc if you kept everything until it got snatched away by a sea gull.

All necessities that have to be updated frequently due to general wear and tear, except the TV, which like the headphones, are useful up to the point of obsolescence, when/if the media it has to connect to or receive from changes dramatically, which is certain.

Your argument is thin to nil considering headphone jacks will likely not change for another 15-20 years until somebody makes a portable multichannel interface of sorts, which isn't too viable in the music market anyway.

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not the kind of person who fixes something if it's not broken.

Only time can tell, mate. Only time can tell.
wink_face.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #25 of 43
No argument on degradation, although I have yet to buy a new clothes because of it.

Just something to think about on the subject of upgrading headphones on a forum for headphone lovers: theres an abnormal desire to upgrade audio equipment here. Since you don't feel the need, I was comparing it to things I thought you may feel a need to "upgrade".

I'm sure you'd get the same response about "why upgrade" on any specialty forum - cars PARTS, computer accessories (keyboards, mice, etc), flash lights, lasers, arcade controllers, home theater, knives, music instruments, clothing, and countless other forums that exist.

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #26 of 43
OP: I just don't think you understand. It's a hobby, period.

Like a photographer that has a few different cameras and lens, or a fisherman that has several poles and reels, or a hunter that has several types of guns, etc, etc.

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #27 of 43
Good point Spyro. Different tools for the job! Few speakerphiles have more than one full system mainly because of room and setup time. However, there are plenty with loads of monitors and full standers stored away. Of course there are those with ample space and a complete system in every room.

With headphones life is much easier. They are small and relatively inexpensive. The amps are also smaller and therefore one could have a rack of amps and headphones geared towards one's tastes.

Some contend that a good transducer should be able to do it all. In an ideal world, sure. But in reality, not so much. Some headphones and amps are simply better at relaying the sound of a given intrument or genre than another. Speaker fans might love to have the flexibility to hoan their speakers to a specific sound, just like vinylophiles have multiple arms and carts which excel at various music and headphone nuts likewise have various models to cater towards every form.

Again, the OP is adamant at identifying the Livewires as the be all and end all. Certainly this might be true for some, but doubtful for many, let alone all.

I like having sporty phones for outgoing activities

IEM's for laying down on my side and for those times I need isolation

Full-sized cans for better sound, multiples which cater to a specific flavour

Speakers (eventually) for the most realistic sound I can afford and enjoy with multiple people

Quite a few sets of transducers there! Not mention the handful of amps I own and of course my front-ends. By the OP's definition, I should be happy with an iPod and nothing else. It ought to be best out there with teh most flexibility right? Who needs a Dac? Or a CDP or heck...a turn table...
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like having sporty phones for outgoing activities

IEM's for laying down on my side and for those times I need isolation

Full-sized cans for better sound, multiples which cater to a specific flavour

Speakers (eventually) for the most realistic sound I can afford and enjoy with multiple people

What, no 5.1 'phones for gaming?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What, no 5.1 'phones for gaming?
smily_headphones1.gif

I wish I had the time to do serious pc gaming. Once upon a time I did. Now my gaming is exclusively Wii or PS3 and even then I'm a person son of the gaming generation... I'm a complete let down. I'm *shudder* a casual gamer
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back