Why do people spend so much on canalphones when they can just buy Livewires/Freqs?
Aug 27, 2008 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

neoufo51

500+ Head-Fier
I just don't get it. You guys spend hundreds of dollars on canalphones, several of them, when all you have to do is just get custom fitted for a pair of Livewires or Freqs and never have to buy another pair of headphones until those die a tragic death despite having replaceable cable.

Seriously, can somebody explain why people spend over $500 dollars on a bunch of canalphones, sometimes $250 for just one of the pairs when all they have to get is get custom fitted for Livewires or Freqs and never buy anything again?

P.S. Had Atrios, they broke, got Denon C700's, broke, got a replacement which I sold. Getting fitted for Livewires next week to end my journey for great sound once and for all!

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 43
Maybe because people want to enjoy more than one type of sound? Also, perhaps people want to find the sound they like and keep their options open for the future? Try selling your custom fits. No buyers? No kidding!

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe because people want to enjoy more than one type of sound? Also, perhaps people want to find the sound they like and keep their options open for the future? Try selling your custom fits. No buyers? No kidding!

X2

What's the fun in finality?

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But customs have a 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't like the sound, you return it. Simple as that. Why would you sell (even if you could) those customs if you love the sound you paid $250 for and gave up the chance to get your money back? Wouldn't you just want to make that pair last as long as possible? Am I just too practical and just not completely corrupted by Head-fi yet?

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But customs have a 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't like the sound, you return it. Simple as that. Why would you sell (even if you could) those customs if you love the sound you paid $250 for and gave up the chance to get your money back? Wouldn't you just want to make that pair last as long as possible? I'm I just too practical and just not completely corrupted by Head-fi yet?

You buy Custom IEM from Company X. Company X releases a new and improved model and/or something radically different. You want to try it out particularly since it comes with an extra driver! You don't have the cash on hand so you have to sell your current IEM. But wait! It's a custom...no one wants it. Crap! Game over.

Etymotics were the only game in town for a while. Customs were available for them. Then UE, Westone and Sensaphonics came out with wonderful custom multidriver units that were flush with the ear, no more sticking out like Etys (even with the custom molds!). Are the Etys the best? Maybe? But what if someone ends up likely something different, more!? They are screwed unless they can afford to own both.

Upgrading for the sake of upgrading can get really silly really fast, but upgrading because of change in priorities or more cash on hand, or simply a new taste in sonics can be a wonderful experience. Not all upgrades are real upgrades. Many are sidesteps but some are legitimate upgrades with great advantages attached. Perhaps that Livewires/Freqs is all you need. If so, seriously, awesome for you! You've avoided quite a journey. But, if your ideal IEM ends up being a custom Westone 3, how will you ever know if you are decidedly "finished?"

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

But customs have a 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't like the sound, you return it. Simple as that. Why would you sell (even if you could) those customs if you love the sound you paid $250 for and gave up the chance to get your money back? Wouldn't you just want to make that pair last as long as possible? I'm I just too practical and just not completely corrupted by Head-fi yet?

And what if you don't like the sound of customs? Customs =/= the best, a well fitted universal is often better than a custom.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 43
If it makes you feel better OP, I'm in the same boat as you. Ordered livewires about 10 days ago... planning to buy the FreQs or the Westone 3s once they come out and if that doesn't work out, going to buy the custom molds for it.

The frustration I had with my TF-10s has frustrated the hell out of me and it probably won't heal until I find a universal-IEM that I really like (Hoping for the westone 3s)
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't really care about the "sound journey," as some do. I just want the most efficient (money wise) way of getting the best portable sound with the best comfort.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 43
I figure its the commitment. I mean I realize if I got bored of my shures, I can resell them and lose about 80 to 100 bucks (which would be the same as the 15% restocking fee + shipping back to earphonesolutions). If I got customs, and I go beyond the 30day trial well I'm pretty much out. Plus I'm sure you'd lose the cost of the audiologist and a restocking fee aswell. On a side note, does anyone know the return policy on UE customs, its strikingly absent on their website when the return policy on everything else is there?

No offense to the original poster, but if your looking for the be all end all of iem's, why are you looking at freq's and livewires, when you know you're gonna upgrade anyway so its kind of weird to say

"Seriously, can somebody explain why people spend over $500 dollars on a bunch of canalphones, sometimes $250 for just one of the pairs when all they have to get is get custom fitted for Livewires or Freqs and never buy anything again?"

-I think you have also failed to truly make a commitment, you're just like the rest of us universal iem users.

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #11 of 43
There's a part of me that always wants the IEMs that I own to have a resell value. With a custom, once you're past the 30-days or so that you have to return them, they (in my mind) become somewhat "worthless" as they usually can't be sold (unless someone buys it from you with the intention of reshelling it somehow).

I also don't really know if customs are the end all be all anyway. It seems that universal IEMs are making big strides in comfort and sound.

One neat versatile thing about the universal SA6 vs. customs is that the sound can be tuned to the listener's preference. That's how they were designed and it does work to some extent.

I've often also read about people who get LiveWires/FreQ's and actually end up preferring the sound signature of one of the universal IEMs that they also own (a la Shure SE530 or UE Triple.fi 10 Pro). Head-Fier EyeAmEye I believe even prefers the Sleek Audio SA6 over the Ultimate Ears UE-11 Pro. FeedMeTrance preferred the sound of his UE Triple.fi 10 Pro over his LiveWires before (not so sure anymore). antonyfirst and many others feel that the STAX SR-003 is the best sounding "in-ear" 'phone. HeadphoneAddict says that the Klipsch Image X10 is nearly as good as his FreQShows, but also I believe he really enjoyed the Westone 3 when he demoed them. So on and so on...

The Westone 3, when it eventually (and finally) comes out, seems to be able to compete handily with custom IEMs while also retaining good resell value.

One thing that I've also read about that is a bit more rare is some people's sensitivity to hard acrylic inside their ear. Or, I believe Sovkiller has had trouble getting customs to work for his ears for a reason pertaining to his ears specifically.

Also, it seems to me that there are plenty of people who do not want to deal with re-fits/re-dips as it seems it is often needed to achieve a good seal reliably.

One thing that is nice about universals is that you can share the sound with others so they can find out what they're missing out on. Try doing that with custom IEMs.
wink.gif

I don't think there is one set straight-forward path that everyone should take (i.e. going straight to customs) on the way to audio nirvana. Many of us are plenty happy with our universal earphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

When you get your LiveWires and if you're 100% happy with your purchase and feel that you're done with the journey, then that's great for you, but realize that not everyone will think/hear the same way as you do.

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 43
Purely out of curiosity, what do you say about the Sleek Audio Customs? From what I've heard, they don't advertise them, but you can e-mail them and ask for them. In addition, you can use the same bass/ treble +/- configuration that you found you liked in the SA6s.

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

P.S. Had Atrios, they broke, got Denon C700's, broke, got a replacement which I sold. Getting fitted for Livewires next week to end my journey for great sound once and for all!

Are you sure?

Two years from now there might be a LiveWires MAX that is said to be three times as good with only 20% increase in price, would you come back to tell us how your new LiveWires MAX will end your journey for great sound once and for all - again?

The only way to end that journey of yours is the end the hobby that is Head-fi - you don't care to come to the forum anymore, stop paying any attention to audio gears, no more review reading, etc. If you still comes back after next week, your quest to end the journey is pretty much condemned to failure.

The fact is, our journey isn't in a tunnel with white light at the end and salvation on the other side. Our journey is more like walking around a planet trying to find one best place for resting down. Once we do find such a place, we often second guess our decision, wonder what is beyond the horizon and finally decide to find another better-than-current best place. How does one stop the journey than? It is simple: Clear out your mind and stay still, or drop dead.

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fact is, our journey isn't in a tunnel with white light at the end and salvation on the other side. Our journey is more like walking around a planet trying to find one best place for resting down. Once we do find such a place, we often second guess our decision, wonder what is beyond the horizon and finally decide to find another better-than-current best place. How does one stop the journey than? It is simple: Clear out your mind and stay still, or drop dead.

Awesome analogy.

L3000.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

I just don't get it. You guys spend hundreds of dollars on canalphones, several of them, when all you have to do is just get custom fitted for a pair of Livewires or Freqs and never have to buy another pair of headphones until those die a tragic death despite having replaceable cable.

Seriously, can somebody explain why people spend over $500 dollars on a bunch of canalphones, sometimes $250 for just one of the pairs when all they have to get is get custom fitted for Livewires or Freqs and never buy anything again?

Well, that's subjective to say the least. But the very short (and admittedly biased) answer is "because they aren't UE-11's". I am sure that both the Livewires and Freqs sound very nice given their relative place on the sound continuum. If you want great sound, you need great IEM's (ue-11's)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back