Why do my modest Aurum Cantus 6.5 inch V3M standmount speakers destroy my HD650 in bass depth, quality, quantity and realism?
Feb 11, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #46 of 47
Another sober five year update. My same home hifi is still destroying great headphones. Particularly in the bass department. I rolled it's tubes and upgraded its output transformers, and some of its point to point wiring,,,otherwise it's the same old amp and speakers.

I haven't listened to the HD650 in a few years now...they sit in a closet. I see they still have a following.

I was thinking of re-burning them in using my previous brutal technique which either destroys a headphone entirely, or leaves it sublimely punchy and lucid. I never did this to the then precious HD650 - Wind the amp volume right up to slight driver distortion, then back off just a smidge...wrap phones around a pillow and leave it repeat playing bass heavy and harsh music for a week or two. A big LiPo fireproof bag is a good idea too.

Let's see how they go.

Haha this will achieve absolutely nothing. Only very hard surrounds in certain subwoofers, usually in bass horns and similar, actually have measurable "burn in". The surround become more compliant and slightly change factors.

But enjoy yourself - or just sell them on ebay.

What speakers are in your home setup?

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #47 of 47
Aurum Cantus V3M. Plugged rear ports. No subwoofer.

The HD650 will be burning in one way or another. Two pairs of DT150 and one Ultrasone Pro 900 survived this procedure. One pair of my DT150 had very poorly matched drivers, but after a week of non stop unimaginable abuse, they were like a pair of blue-printed freak phones. Impossibly smooth, punchy and holographic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back