Why do my modest Aurum Cantus 6.5 inch V3M standmount speakers destroy my HD650 in bass depth, quality, quantity and realism?
May 23, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can hardly call myself a basshead if i'm listening through my two way 6.5inch bass driver 'stand mount' speakers in a largish room with NO subwoofer....all driven by 30kgs and 40watts of smoooooth EL34 tubes!

my x-can v3 drives the headphones very well...the 770s responding far more dramatically to the amps grip. they are not easy to drive.

it has been fascinating, and one of the easiest a-b comparisons, and you dont need golden ears to hear whats going on.

i just think that some headfiers have gone off on a distorted tangent of what they perceive as realistic or quality bass.

You can't measure realistic. Accuracy is a better term.

May 24, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't measure realistic. Accuracy is a better term.

ok lets use the word accurate.

there is no way in this world that a hd650 will accurately portray the sound of sitting 10 feet from a live double bass. i recognise that no phone can manage this perfectly, but the 770 will come so much closer that its laughable.

in fact, there are possible only 2 or 3 phones mentioned on this entire site which could come close to this, and i'm not completely sure if its that many either.

May 24, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #33 of 47
Yeah, the lowest I've heard of speakers going are mine at 41 herz. Yeah the HD650 can go far lower than any speaker I have heard. But also true, I cannot feel that bass like I can with speakers.

And yes I have heard the DT770. DT770 bass is garbage compared to my HD650s. But that's my opinion and don't want to state it as fact. But complete trash in comparison.

May 24, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the lowest I've heard of speakers going are mine at 41 herz. Yeah the HD650 can go far lower than any speaker I have heard. But also true, I cannot feel that bass like I can with speakers.

And yes I have heard the DT770. DT770 bass is garbage compared to my HD650s. But that's my opinion and don't want to state it as fact. But complete trash in comparison.

I think you can state your second paragraph as fact.

May 24, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you can state your second paragraph as fact.

given your 'sledgehammer in a china shop' home hifi set up, i can fully understand and see why you might run to the hd650 and valves for refuge!!! i would too no doubt!

May 24, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #36 of 47
I love how defensive people get when their favourite or a head-fi favourite can gets negative feedback. SQ is somewhat subjective and if the OP likes the dt770 more than the hd-650 good for him at least he is enjoying his music.

I find this thread quite amusing to be honest, anyways i should probably just shut up now cos i havent heard either headphone

May 24, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

ok lets use the word accurate.

there is no way in this world that a hd650 will accurately portray the sound of sitting 10 feet from a live double bass. i recognise that no phone can manage this perfectly, but the 770 will come so much closer that its laughable.

in fact, there are possible only 2 or 3 phones mentioned on this entire site which could come close to this, and i'm not completely sure if its that many either.

Fair enough.

May 24, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #38 of 47
Wow, there's like 2-4 threads on the front page alone now stating how bad the Sennheiser HD6xx's are, even causing one person to abandon headphones altogether. These headphones sure do polarise peoples opinions. I must be the only person on this board who thinks they're "OK" and doesn't feel the need to start a holy crusade in their name.
tongue.gif

May 24, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #39 of 47
if you think 770 portray bass accurately well then i highly recommend you do a proper hearing test. you may have damage in the lower registers. i'm guessing you need the cornucopia of farts to even hear anything down there...

May 25, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #40 of 47
a conundrum arrises when people compare headphone to headphone and gaze at stats and measurements, yet rarely, if ever have done a comparison after hearing an unamplified double bass (or other) played live infront of them.

like sooooo many audiophools exclaim when attending a live orchestra for the first time....."what happened to the top end...where has it gone?" LOL

May 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

if you find the 770 as 'one note blasting' then i highly recommend you do a proper hearing test. you may have damage in the lower registers.

Agreed. The 770s have extremely detailed bass, and are about as far from "one note" as it gets. The bass is powerful, which not everyone likes, but that is no excuse for telling lies about them.
Apparently, some people cannot distinguish between quality and quantity. They seem to think that the only good bass is wimpy, anemic bass.

May 26, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you think 770 portray bass accurately well then i highly recommend you do a proper hearing test. you may have damage in the lower registers. i'm guessing you need the cornucopia of farts to even hear anything down there...

I am guessing that you have never heard real bass, just recordings played through phones that have nothing going on below about 200 Hz or so.

May 26, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #43 of 47
intoart and exit pupil you guys are over selling the 770 now. It is not a one note fart, but it is overwhelming and not nearly as well controlled as a lot of other headphones in the bass department. If you guys like the 770 great, if you wanna tell everyone how you like it that's great too but if you are gonna say that clean, quick, and controlled bass is "wimpy, anemic bass" then I might as well agree with the people who say you like one note farts. It has some detail, but it is far from "extremely detailed" in terms of bass or overall for that matter. Having heard both, the hd650 has less bass quantity and depth, I can agree with the realism too kinda. However quality is subjective and I much prefer the hd650 bass, which has less than the dt770 but is still too much.

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #44 of 47
Just found this ancient thread and thought i would update it in SOBER HINDSIGHT.

just as true today as a few years back. much better phones now but the same ultimate scenario.

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #45 of 47
Another sober five year update. My same home hifi is still destroying great headphones. Particularly in the bass department. I rolled it's tubes and upgraded its output transformers, and some of its point to point wiring,,,otherwise it's the same old amp and speakers.

I haven't listened to the HD650 in a few years now...they sit in a closet. I see they still have a following.

I was thinking of re-burning them in using my previous brutal technique which either destroys a headphone entirely, or leaves it sublimely punchy and lucid. I never did this to the then precious HD650 - Wind the amp volume right up to slight driver distortion, then back off just a smidge...wrap phones around a pillow and leave it repeat playing bass heavy and harsh music for a week or two. A big LiPo fireproof bag is a good idea too.

Let's see how they go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back