why do in-ear phones got to sound like cans?
Sep 3, 2008 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

Nestroit

100+ Head-Fier
I mean, the in-ear are supposed to have got their own sound, so why are the can-fans moaning about their sound?

I've read a lot of reviews in which old crappy ppl like you are excited when in-ear sound like their rubbish cans...

when I do listen to HD 650 or AKG 701 it sounds boring, just because I am totally into in-ear and I like their sound.

but the high end In-ear like triple.fi 10, UE 10 and UE 11 are obviously trying to sound like cans..

but why?

and why are the Ultimate Ears ue 11 pro giving Stax Omega II sh!t? that is a fact!

because In-ears are way better. you are all old and bullish, go with custom in-ear and shut the hell up!

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 65
I dunno, I've tried a few in-ear and I get easily temporarily deaf by listening to them. I know some of my friends have become deaf (for real) by listening to them.

If such a small device makes a big sound into your ear there is bigger chance for radiation and becoming deaf.

There is even more chance of becomming deaf from a headphone over a speaker, since the headphones are closer to your ears but they are hanging over your head while in-ears are IN YOUR EARS.

I don't know about sound but I will not buy an in-ear for anything again, especially after all the headaches I've gotten from using them.
tongue.gif

If you have an ipod or mp3 player then grado beats all in-ears.

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 65
I am sure soon there will be In-Head Monitors & people like u will support them also because they dont even need to be removed..

just injected into the ear....

Enjoy them ..

i ll always enjoy full-size headphones.

Its not about the Sound Quality only...its the entire experience of how music reaches your ears, having music create a soundstage for instruments & the environment thats created ultimately.

Tell me which IEMs can do that and i ll sell of my HD555 today?

i had originally gone to purchase Shure's..they were good but i didnt buy them.

Sep 3, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 65
I'm so grateful when outsiders make themselves an account just so that they can answer a question we didn't ask in the wrong forum.

Sep 3, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by user123456 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno, I've tried a few in-ear and I get easily temporarily deaf by listening to them. I know some of my friends have become deaf (for real) by listening to them.

If such a small device makes a big sound into your ear there is bigger chance for radiation and becoming deaf.

There is even more chance of becomming deaf from a headphone over a speaker, since the headphones are closer to your ears but they are hanging over your head while in-ears are IN YOUR EARS.

I don't know about sound but I will not buy an in-ear for anything again, especially after all the headaches I've gotten from using them.
tongue.gif

If you have an ipod or mp3 player then grado beats all in-ears.

If you use them the way they are meant to be used, it is not a problem. You obviously have no idea about the correct usage. If anything IEMs will protect your hearing as you hardly have to have any volume as one is very isolated from out side sound. If you don't know, don't say.

cheers
Simon

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestroit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when I do listen to HD 650 or AKG 701 it sounds boring, just because I am totally into in-ear and I like their sound.

perhaps its your music thats boring.
Quote:

but the high end In-ear like triple.fi 10, UE 10 and UE 11 are obviously trying to sound like cans..

but why?

dont wory bout y, u r not their target mrkt.
Quote:

and why are the Ultimate Ears ue 11 pro giving Stax Omega II sh!t? that is a fact!

sez who? could you elaborate?
Quote:

because In-ears are way better. you are all old and bullish, go with custom in-ear and shut the hell up!

Its ok that we are old and bullish, you are young and foolish. You could take your own advice.

Sep 3, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perhaps its your music thats boring.

dont wory bout y, u r not their target mrkt.

sez who? could you elaborate?

Its ok that we are old and bullish, you are young and foolish. You could take your own advice.

Well i am young & i advocate Headphones...maybe i am the odd one out.

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestroit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Words fail me when I encounter such eloquence ....
gs1000.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #12 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you use them the way they are meant to be used, it is not a problem. You obviously have no idea about the correct usage.

So there is a "special" way to use them? What is this special way? What is this correct usage I don't know about?

I didn't know there was more to an in-ear than to set them on your ears, and find the right volume, is there something else mr smartypants have in mind that we others don't know?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anything IEMs will protect your hearing as you hardly have to have any volume as one is very isolated from out side sound. If you don't know, don't say.

cheers
Simon

Protect? Wow that's awesome daydreaming! But in reality it's not true.
Look what recent research and studies has come up with:

Teens turn deaf ear to MP3 players risks - Kids and parenting - MSNBC.com
Teens turn deaf ear to risks of MP3 players | Tech News on ZDNet

So where is the protection? A headphone protect someones ears better, even at higher volumes they are harder to drive since they need more power obviously and they give out smaller distortion and usually saves your ears unless you have maxed out the volume.

But anyways cheers for beers,
beerchug.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 65
What hurts the ear is the volume not the device itself. If you turn something up too loud it will damage your hearing. Normally iem's should be less likely as they isolate so well that you don't need to turn up the volume to drown outside noise.

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 65
I've used some creative headphones they had lots of distortion and they easily made my ears tingle.

While I've had Philips SHP8900 and the sound was clean and not painful, so broken or old headphones can also make you deaf, however I still prefer headphones over in-ears any day but I'm glad the market has in-ears for those who prefer that.

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #15 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by user123456 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Protect? Wow that's awesome daydreaming! But in reality it's not true.
Look what recent research and studies has come up with:

both of those articles highlight the dangers of excessively loud listening, which seems to be the standard level for cheaper buds. when you consider the trend to turn em up to overpower ambient noise, it gets even worse.

With isolating IEM's you can hear the music at a lower level, even with ambient noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back