Why do i prefer my CX300 over the HJE900?
Aug 16, 2010 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

xxmastaxx

100+ Head-Fier
I got some HJE900 today and they are very good, but i prefer the CX300. I don't know why. They both sound the same too me, except for the bass. I guess i don't like the HJE900 because there heavy. The sound quality in the HJE900 is weird. Probably not for my taste. I used my Fuze> iBasso D2+> hje900. I didnt like the sound at all coming from the HJE900. Will burning in do any justice to these Earphones? I might as well sell them if this all don't go well.

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 13
If it makes you feel any better, I had some HJEs on hand (bought them for a friend) and I never really cared for them when I tried them out. Unless it's a seal/tip issue, they may not be worth it for you. But I just never cared for them, and never bought them as a result. But they do get much praise by some on HF. Let your ears decide. I prefer a $160 pair of IEMs (DBAs) over a $310 pair (were $400), the SM3s. So I completely understand.

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 13
how do you guys put them on? over the ears or just hanging? I just used the medium tips that came with them. They are heavy.

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 13
The HJE900s do have a weird quality. Its not unpleasant, and its not a flaw. Some people like it, some people hate it, I think most are indifferent. I think everyone agrees its there. I havn't heard a good explanation for it yet... but I'll go so far as to say it seems like its an absence of something I hear in other IEMs.

I've worn them both ways, I prefer hanging down. I don't notice the weight.. but they are a bit heavy now that you mention it. 

I'd recommend you try them at a lower volume that you are used to, and see if you like them more that way. Its what made a big difference for me, because the highs can be harsh, and the lows are punchy yet decay fast.

I'd suggest you give these a chance. These, like many phones, require a period of brain burn-in. You can always sell them later.

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 13
The HJE900s DEF need burn in. When I first got them I was like these are the same as my Apple Stock Earbuds... But after a week 200+ hours of burn in they REALLY REALLY opened up.

Aug 17, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 13
I have not heard the HJE900 but sometimes when upgrading I find it difficult to see what the fuss is about until I use the new IEM for a few days and then go back to the old one.  You don't fully realise how big an upgrade it is until it's gone and the CX300 is not that hard to beat.

Aug 17, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #8 of 13
its that thu 900 has no resonance, it is weird.  also the senns are known for warmth which always ads a certain softness to things.  warmth does not just mean bass.  i suspect you just prefer something a little warmer and softer than the hard punchyness of the 900

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 13
It might be what mark said. When I first heard the HJE900(in the NYC subway, of all places), it was almost like a big acoustic slap in the face, compared to my older headphones, lol. I wasn't sure what to make of it. Fortunately I rapidly adapted to the sound and ended up loving it, but that is not and will not be the case for everyone. I was, like you, coming from Senns(but PX200-II in my case, great portables), and coming from such a laid back, slightly warmer than neutral sound sig was really quite a shock. Even my sisters FC700s and my beloved RX700s, which are more V shaped and thus sound more similar to the HJE900s sound sig, felt very different. I was so caught up with the difference in overall sound signature that I didn't even realize how much more detail I could pick up from the HJEs, at first. The CX300s, from what I've read, are probably warmer and bassier than my PX200IIs, but I assume the same typical Sennheiser laidback-ness is present. Really though, pretty much HP I've heard seems laid-back compared to the HJEs, depending on what kind of music I'm listening too. I guess I just like them that way.

Also, check to see if there is a seal issue. The tips for the HJE900 are, I believe, too small for the western market, I think. At first I was using the included mediums, since stock mediums from any company had always been perfect for me. But when I compared them to some cheap IEMs I had lying around, I noticed the mediums on the Pannys were quite a bit smaller than the mediums on my SKs. The largest included tips were actually almost exactly the size of the medium Skullcandy ones. I'd recommend you try the tips on your CX300 on your HJE900 for a while,  I use them both cord up and cord down, and never really have an issue with weight using proper tips. I've also noticed using Sleek Audio cables makes them feel alot lighter, since it's a thinner and lighter cable.

So yea, I'd recommend you mess around with tips, try the large included tips or the medium senns, which should be about similar size. You could also try foam tips for added fit, seal, and treble taming. I personally strongly dislike foams on these, since they tame the treble wayyy too much, but I just ordered some Monster Supertips to see if they alleviate that issue.

Then try to let them burn in mentally for a week or 2, and if you don't warm up to them not, sell or trade them; I'm sure you won't have much trouble finding an offer here.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #10 of 13
My HJE900 were wonky sounding if that adds anything to the discussion
biggrin.gif

It was like a giant V shape EQ with lots of hiss.  Anyway, I attributed it to either a defective pair or my Zune does not like low impedance phones.  I honestly could not understand how anyone could like this sound.  I didn't have my Fuze then to try it out though.

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 13
actually after switching the tips from the Panny Medium tips to my CX300 tips and giving an amp from my D2 plus 2 hours of listening, the IEM sound really good. Having burn in them yet. I hope they will sound more amazing. And yes there is bass in these IEM, and are very deep and detail with force. Treble kind of high for my taste. Lets see what the burn in will do to them. Thanks for your guys response. Also, is it normal for your left ear to be different to your right? I think i need different tips for them.

Aug 17, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 13
For how low a lot of people rank the CX300, I have a feeling your lack of amazement for the HJE900 comes from a number of factors.
1) you're used to the CX300 sound.  Anything else will sound off, unusual
2) the HJE900 does need to burn in to loosen up the driver and improve the sound quality
3) sometimes you don't really recognize how different a sound is until you spend some time with it and then go back to the old product.  If a product is better, it will become pretty blatant.  Some earphones have an initial wow factor.  Some require you to look at the details to appreciate how good it is.

Aug 18, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 13
Glad to hear you are liking them now! Tip changes are so crucial for IEMs in general. If you think the treble is too harsh, you have a few options. For one, you could get complies, but those kill the treble too much for me. Some like it though. If you keep changing tips, it's quite likely your filters will fall out(or you can remove them yourself, which you can take advantage of and place some thin foam, such as that from cheap earbuds or headphones. You can adjust the amount accordingly to tame the treble to your liking. But personally I found the treble to simply calm down after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back