Why do I hate rap and hip-hop, but love Public Enemy?
Feb 12, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #46 of 60
I hate to say this, but I hated Eminem on principle until I started listen to him. His albums are really very clever, well produced and hysterically funny.

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #47 of 60
this is similar to my experience, i like to buy good albums, wouldn't call myself a drum & bass 'head' (chav? lol!) but venetian snares' stuff is pure genius, also future loop foundation's albums (in particular, conditions for living, phunkroc...) are superb. though i do know some 'purists' who sneer at folk who have broad tastes
angry_face.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lost my Public Enemy cds years ago, so I downloaded a couple. I've been listening to them on and off for a week and I just totally love Public Enemy. The funny thing is I can't stand 99% of all current rap and hip-hop. But I love PE. Maybe its just smarter than most of what I hear? Funnier?

I would suggest it's because PE are among the most musical of hip hop groups. Terminator X and the Bomb Squad.

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #49 of 60
ah, good to see another eminem fan in here (chadbag). i definitely think eminem is able to compete with the other rappers mentioned in this thread. sure his new album may be a little whack, but he has some serious good and intellectual stuff.

just for example,

check out like toy soldiers from him and read the lyrics. im quoting JuNeSu0911 from youtube.

"Like Toy Soldiers" is a song by rapper Eminem on his worldwide hit album Encore, that tells the story of his feuds in an attempt to settle down the rap community. He speaks his heart about problems with The Source magazine and its editor Benzino, as well as Murder Inc. Records. He explains the beef between Ja Rule and 50 Cent. He finishes off the song by offering a truce to his enemies.

Apr 17, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #50 of 60
From an English language academic viewpoint, Eminem's lyrics, particularly his early ones (see Marshall Mathers LP, one of the best rap albums of all time) are lyrically fantastic and clever.
My high school senior year English teacher, who's middle age, has kids and female, didn't use Eminem as study material for nothing.

The man = a real talent lyrically.
His storytelling, while being hard-hitting and funny all at the same time = can't be done by many.

That said, what made PE unique is their production, especially considering late 80's/early 90's technology.
Modern stuff with modern equipment can't be mastered as well as PE.

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am mostly familiar with the foul noise pollution spewing out of "boom cars" that pull next to me at stoplights. If I hear rap on the radio, I immediately turn it off or change stations.

I know what you mean but, seriously, basing your opinion of rap and hiphop on most of the the stuff that gets played on radio is like basing your opinion of punk rock on Avril Lavigne.

Considering you like Air and Supreme Beings of Leisure, you should definitely check out DJ Krush and Nujabes. They do incredible instrumental hiphop with the occasional guest MC.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #52 of 60
Since I just spent the morning listening to hip-hop in response to another thread, I can say with no reservations or qualifiers that much Public Enemy is just flat-out genius. But that doesn't mean they're the last word on hip-hop, which kept evolving long after, say, Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age.

I don't know if I agree with the poster who accused others of elitism, because it's true that quite a bit of what's on the radio in any genre of music is not very good…hip-hop's no exception. Quite a bit of older music we now consider genius (Television, say, or Thelonious Monk…even a lot of Miles Davis), was not given the airtime that Mary J. Blige or John Legend currently get (and for the record, I don't really get John Legend…much prefer Anthony Hamilton). Eminem was one of those rare exceptions, and once you get past how amazing his best records are, it takes nothing away from him to recognize that a lot of his exposure had to do with extra-musical, socio-cultural things. Even he'll tell you that…

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #53 of 60
All I have is It Takes a Nation of Millions... but I really like it.

They're a lot more serious than most of the hip-hop I listen to, which is why they stand out so much I think. It's very in-your-face, instrumentally and lyrically.

They are one of just a few hip-hop groups I can recommend wholeheartedly, my favorite being the Beastie Boys -- if you don't have any of their albums, you should go download Paul's Boutique from their website right this instant; it has been recently remastered, and they have FLAC / ALAC / whatever you want available for download.

Just had to plug that.

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qonmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
…if you don't have any of their albums, you should go download Paul's Boutique from their website right this instant; it has been recently remastered, and they have FLAC / ALAC / whatever you want available for download.

Thanx for the heads up on the remaster of Paul's Boutique…I just wrote on another thread that my original copy (almost 20 years old…where does the time go?) was lacking in the sonics dept.

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qonmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I have is It Takes a Nation of Millions... but I really like it.

They're a lot more serious than most of the hip-hop I listen to, which is why they stand out so much I think. It's very in-your-face, instrumentally and lyrically.

They are one of just a few hip-hop groups I can recommend wholeheartedly, my favorite being the Beastie Boys -- if you don't have any of their albums, you should go download Paul's Boutique from their website right this instant; it has been recently remastered, and they have FLAC / ALAC / whatever you want available for download.

Just had to plug that.

If you like Nation of Millions, I very, very strongly suggest that you pick up Fear of a Black Planet.

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #56 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like Nation of Millions, I very, very strongly suggest that you pick up Fear of a Black Planet.

Hell, and after that, go on and get Apocalypse '91…The Enemy Strikes Black.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks, I'll do that. This thread has actually inspired me to bump it up my list.

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #58 of 60
No love for Yo! Bum Rush The Show?

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #59 of 60
rap can be hilarious, and it can be obnoxious.

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #60 of 60
eminem is surprisingly VERYYYY clever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back