Why do I hate rap and hip-hop, but love Public Enemy?
Feb 11, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Because Public Enemy has a much more immediate rock influence on their sound than most Hip-Hop

2. Because you've been looking for other good Hip-Hop on the radio, MTV, BET, and other mainstream outlets, and 90% of it outright sucks. Most of the good music is independent (and I don't think this is just true of Hip-Hop)

In my opinion, there is Hip-Hop being made that is as good as ever, but it's not what is popular. Maybe check out these albums from recent years:

El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens
Cunninlynguists - A Piece of Strange
The Roots - Rising Down
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
Cage - Hell's Winter
K-Os - Joyful Rebellion
Zion I - True & Livin
K'naan - The Dusty Foot Philosopher
The Mighty Underdogs - Droppin' Science Fiction
Nas - Untitled
Q-Tip - The Renaissance
Black Milk - Tronic
Cee-Lo - The Soul Machine
Brother Ali - Shadows On the Sun
Panacea - A Mind on a Ship Through Time
Pharoahe Monch - Desire
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, Paint That crap Gold

El-P and the Roots are probably the first places to go from Public Enemy.

Finally someone who is not blind to Hip Hop. There is still good Hip Hop out there, you just have to look for it. Its not as easy as saying anything from the late 80s-90s. Now there are 1000000000 rappers you have to look for the good stuff find out who they are. The radio is not an example of good music anymore, its all money now. Back in the day KRS, LL, Quest where all on the radio blastin'.

Most those recomendation are great, I havnt heard em all though alot more underground. I like some of the new school sound like

Charles Hamilton
Sha Stimuli
Curren$y
B.o.B.
The Ill Spoken
The Antidotes
Kid Cudi
Wale
And anything Lil Wayne hes still killin it, well see how this rock goes im not a huge fan yet,

Feb 11, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #34 of 60
Immortal Technique has terrible flow, but he's definitely a very intelligent person and I can't fault him for that. My favorite song he ever did was Beef and Broccoli, which was mostly just because I agreed with the words and not because I actually liked listening to it.

I don't listen to much Public Enemy, but here's my $0.02. I'm not so much listing off similar bands to PE than I am listing alternatives to mainstream hip-hop.
N.A.S.A. is quite good in its own right, but a few of the songs have Chuck D guest spotting, so you might want to check that out.
Saul Williams is very conscious in his lyrics, though his songs are closer to spoken word than rapping. He samples a lot of rock songs too.
P.O.S. is one of my favorite rappers right now... The political content seems only to extend to anti-Bush sentiments, but the lyrics are still some of the best I've ever heard.
Cannibal Ox is great if you haven't heard them yet

And, to sum up what has been said before, saying "hate all of _______ genre EXCEPT...." is just another way of saying "I need to listen to more of _______ genre"

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #35 of 60
DSC06683a.jpg

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And, to sum up what has been said before, saying "hate all of _______ genre EXCEPT...." is just another way of saying "I need to listen to more of _______ genre"

That just doesn't ring true. There are a few light pop albums that I like, which is generally a genre that I despise. I have listened to enough of it to know that this not how I want to spend my music dollars and listening time. So listening to more music that I don't enjoy is not going produce a sudden change in my taste. And I suspect there are a lot of listeners who like an album or two from a certain genre that they generally don't care for. And if you really examine those albums...for the most part they have crossover appeal.

--Jerome

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #37 of 60
Blue Scholars, Common Market, Nujabes, Cyne, Binary Star. FTW.

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #38 of 60
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik
I still hang on to a little Public Enemy and De La Soul, though I don't much like anything else from the genre. Sort of the same reason I have a couple Black Sabbath records that I enjoy, but really no other metal. It's like the genres found a successful formula and then cashed in and made little or no musical development after that.

Just my opinion; I know a lot of people still enjoy these. And I'm partial to more than one genre a lot of people consider "dead."

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is as stupid as it is offensive.

How that hell is that comment stupid or offensive? How many Lithuanian Mouth Harp records do you own? If someone says they don't like a form of music, that's completely their right and a valid opinion. Calling someone elses' post "stupid" is offensive.

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like Public Enemy =\ I don't really like the "raw" sound of a lot of golden-age hip-hop. My favorite rap group would be Blackalicious probably. I won't say they're the best, but they are really fun and Gift of Gab has great flow and a cool voice lol.

You know, maybe this is what I like about Public Enemy, I tend to like "experimental" music, and maybe the rawness appeals to me. I also hear a lot of hip hop/rap that is all about "smooooothness," whereas Public Enemy is like a funnel of all these audio attacks and sound bites (odd sound effects, historical speech samplings). Maybe that's why I like them, the raw and edgy sound vs. sipping gin and juice laid back sound.

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

You know, maybe this is what I like about Public Enemy, I tend to like "experimental" music, and maybe the rawness appeals to me. I also hear a lot of hip hop/rap that is all about "smooooothness," whereas Public Enemy is like a funnel of all these audio attacks and sound bites (odd sound effects, historical speech samplings). Maybe that's why I like them, the raw and edgy sound vs. sipping gin and juice laid back sound.

Ohhh okay if this is true, ignore my last post (somewhat...you may like their style it's far from mainstream).

You should definitely look into immortal technique like someone said earlier, as well as MF Doom, Beastie Boys...OH YES omg you HAVE to check out Soul Position. They have some pretty aggressive tracks that I think you'd love.

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How that hell is that comment stupid or offensive? How many Lithuanian Mouth Harp records do you own? If someone says they don't like a form of music, that's completely their right and a valid opinion. Calling someone elses' post "stupid" is offensive.

If you read the entirity of the thread you've created, you'd notice that I've already qualified my statement when challenged.

Quote:

It's like the genres found a successful formula and then cashed in and made little or no musical development after that.

This is the statement I take umbrage with. Read it again in context, and then try and form an argument supporting it.

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What could that possibly mean? SQ, content, delivery/phrasing?

The lyrics are good, and I know many people who enjoy those type of lyrics. I just don't like depressing music.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #45 of 60
It's interesting that these types of threads inevitably split two ways: 'the new stuff is nowhere near the greatness of the originals" or "you just haven't heard the really good stuff because it's not widely played".

Both smack more than just a little of elitism: "i was in to it when you were still listening to New Kids" or "I'm part of the cool clique because i'm listening to stuff nobody else has heard"

The reality is somewhere in the middle. Time tends to sort out the great from the forgettable.

With soul for example. few would dispute Aretha Franklin or Marvin Gaye, while for many the jury is still out on Mary J. Blige or John Legend. (I very much like all four)

In PE's case there is no doubt in my mind that "it takes a nation of millions" and "fear of a black planet" are true genre defining classics.

I think the same can be said of Del La Souls "three feet high and rising"

In the second category, the jury is still out for me on Nas and Eminem (so far illmatic and the marshall mathers album hold up)

Fight the power!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back