Why do headphones sound better late at night than on the morning?
Dec 20, 2003 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Pace

100+ Head-Fier
I'm having a problem: I don't want to go to bed as I'm enjoying listening to music through my headphones currently so much, and know (has happened previously several times) that it is not going to sound this good on the morning.

Is there some reason for this, or am I just a weirdo?
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2003 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 38
Because mornings are a cruel heartless joke that are forced upon us and I will not rest until the earth is covered in a veil of darkness so that it is always night time.

I hate mornings
frown.gif

Dec 21, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 38
Actually, there may be a valid reason behind your problems. Headphone systems often suffer from power-related problems. During the night, when you and your neighbors are using less in the way of electrical devices, the power circuts are cleaner and are sonically better. Perhaps using a power filter would fix some of your problems. If you have an electric stove, turning on all of the burners, and then running to your headphone system may give you an idea what the problem is.

Dec 21, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 38
It has nothing to do with your headphones and everything to do with your power supply in your house. It's "cleaner" at night because many of the things that are eating up power during the day in your part of the electrical grid are off. This is a well-known phenomenon in audio. This is why people spend big money on power conditioners and power regenerators to clean up the power supply to their components to replicate night-time performance of gear during the day.

Mark

Dec 21, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 38
maybe it's a lot quitier at night then daytime?

Dec 21, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 38
I notice that I get a kind of "listening fatigue" late in the day that makes my ears less sensitive to fine details. For example, if I want to A/B differences between two CD players it's much easier for me to pick out differences between them early in the day than if I try the same comparison late in the evening.

Maybe, early in the day you are more sensitive to system flaws?

(And in my case it's got nothing to do with the power grid because it happens with battery powered players too.)

Dec 21, 2003 at 4:39 AM Post #8 of 38
I agree. At night, I don't have to worry about dirt bikes screaming down the road or buzzsaws running in the distance. Oh, and the lack of a tv blaring is also a major plus.
280smile.gif

bat_angel.gif

Dec 21, 2003 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 38
your hearing should be better at late night or early morning.

It's for this reason that you turn down the volume on the TV set.

In the morning your ears are rested. Late at night they are so tired that you turn down the volume (because your hearing is overly sensitive).

Dec 21, 2003 at 5:19 AM Post #10 of 38
Does anybody else have trouble really waking up mentally until around noon? My mental acuity before noon seems to be way way low, regardless of when I really wake up.

Dec 21, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Does anybody else have trouble really waking up mentally until around noon?

I usually have no memories of what happened in the mornings. And I am at work usually. Maybe I have numbed myself of the pain I called "my job".

Back to the original question....the power-related issue, i.e. cleaner power, is true. When using my speakers, I can hear a lot more details in even familiar music at late night or early morning. However, I would propose that darkness also plays a part in hearing more detail in the music, whether your headphone system is battery-powered or plugged into the wall.

Dec 21, 2003 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 38
I once read somewhere that heavy machinery in factories that run during the day take a lot of drain on the local power supply and can pull the voltage down quite bit in places.

Also things such as the TV, Refrigerator etc also induce a lot of line noise back onto the mains. During the late evening and early morning when the TV is switched off etc the line noise is less.

Also during the night the ambient noise level is so much lower.

Right at this very moment, its 6am and there is only myself awake in the house and i'm listening to Jetro Tull at a low level on phones and it's magical
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2003 at 7:22 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Cyntax
Because mornings are a cruel heartless joke that are forced upon us and I will not rest until the earth is covered in a veil of darkness so that it is always night time.

I hate mornings
frown.gif

I often feel this way myself.....well said

JC

Dec 21, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by djgustashaw
It's Christmas break. I have trouble waking up literally before noon.

Meh... Being suspended from work for the past four months will also sap your will to live and eagerness for getting out of bed.

It's funny though. I can't bloody sleep during the night yet as soon as it gets to dawn i'm zonked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back