Why do HD800 headphones sounded weak when hook up to an iPod
Mar 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #61 of 76
My HD 800 sounds breathtakingly marvelous from my DP-1/ZDSE.
popcorn.gif

-Daniel

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #65 of 76
This fool on the hill from Cornwall is so obviously a troll or extremely ignorant with regards to headphones in general....or both.

I'm not sure why those of you that have chosen to respond to him are even wasting your time.

Mar 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #66 of 76
The fool on the hill , that's ironic...... I suppose it could be argued your posting is a reply and therefore an encouragement for me to respond.
But I wouldn't be that ignorant. I've got my point of view out there and it'll make some think. That's all I'm hoping for. It's not like I'm gaining any benefit materially from all this condescension and plain rudeness.
It's like you guys are in the marketing depts of these companies or something. I would let them try do their own work and prove to us all once and for all how good their stuff is.

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #67 of 76
Quote:
My HD 800 sounds breathtaking marevelous from my DP-1 ZDSE.
popcorn.gif

-Daniel

My old HD800 was even more breathtakingly marvelous running in balanced mode from my Gilmore Ref Balanced (GS-X).   
wink_face.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #68 of 76
@Takenidea, and the sarcastic answers :

Since all the fuss about this thread is related to the amp, and that the line out of dock allows to bypass the internal amp of the ipod,  while using an external one,
I'm not sure why this statement (quoted below)  could be disturbing.
Unless a 1000$ dac coupled to a 1000$ amp is even necessary
rolleyes.gif
popcorn.gif
( <== Look I've put the two icons for everyone.

Quote:
Ipods have a flat frequency response. Using the line out dock cable costing £3 into any one of my headphone amps the sound going into my hd800s is breathtakingly good

Quote:
And here it goes... 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #69 of 76
Quote:
@Takenidea, and the sarcastic answers :

Since all the fuss about this thread is related to the amp, and that the line out of dock allows to bypass the internal amp of the ipod,  while using an external one,
I'm not sure why this statement (quoted below)  could be disturbing.
Unless a 1000$ dac coupled to a 1000$ amp is even necessary
rolleyes.gif
popcorn.gif
( <== Look I've put the two icons for everyone.

I'm sure that you can a very good sound quality out of an iPod, but one would still be better off with a nicer source... No need to spend 1K$

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #71 of 76
Nicer as in sounds nicer? The frequency response of an ipod is above and below what a human ear can hear. The distortion is below hearing thresholds. Jitter , as in every half decent digital source on the market , is inaudible.
Therefore the ipod seems to be a transparent device which should deliver the music through to the headphones with a good degree of accuracy. As should a cd player etc .
Ever wondered why you couldn't hear much difference between cd players in a hi fi shop? It's because there isn't.
The amp is needed to amplify the sound is noisy situations but in a quiet environment shouldn't be needed. I live in a motorhome with loads of traffic noise around so I often need to amplify.
And as I've already got the stuff I may as well use it.

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #72 of 76
Quote:
Nicer as in sounds nicer? The frequency response of an ipod is above and below what a human ear can hear. The distortion is below hearing thresholds. Jitter , as in every half decent digital source on the market , is inaudible.
Therefore the ipod seems to be a transparent device which should deliver the music through to the headphones with a good degree of accuracy. As should a cd player etc .
Ever wondered why you couldn't hear much difference between cd players in a hi fi shop? It's because there isn't.
The amp is needed to amplify the sound is noisy situations but in a quiet environment shouldn't be needed. I live in a motorhome with loads of traffic noise around so I often need to amplify.

You have several amps if I got you right. Why, if I may ask? They probably all have a ruler flat frequency responses... So they must sound the same?

Have you ever compared something like an O2 to something like a leben? I did, and the difference was pretty dramatic. And not really in favor of the most expensive one..

I agree about both the jitter and distortion, but you've forgot the analog stage!

I can hear differences between cd players! I don't understand how you can say that there is no difference

It might be an effect of placebo or expectation bias... Or maybe is it you? Expectation bias can work both ways.

"The amp is needed to amplify",  The hd800 (when hooked to an ipod) is efficient enough to cause permanent hearing loss over a very short time, especially if you use it to cover outside noises.  You're running deaf
rolleyes.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #73 of 76
Do you mind explaining why my hd 650 coming out of my sound blaster x-fi sounds so dull and flat vs my burson amp and dac setup. Not just a little difference but it's like I went from OK sound to amazing. Could tell the difference in a blind test no problem

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #74 of 76
Quote:
Do you mind explaining why my hd 650 coming out of my sound blaster x-fi sounds so dull and flat vs my burson amp and dac setup. Not just a little difference but it's like I went from OK sound to amazing. Could tell the difference in a blind test no problem

+1

when i first got my hd 650 (they where my first headphone)  i had them straight out of an x-fi card as well, and then i bought an amp for them (entry level pro-ject headphone amp), the different was night and day, like very obvious and immediately noticeable. then i added a DAC and the difference was even more obvious.  and when i upgraded to my WA6-SE,  it was another huge improvement as well.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #75 of 76
Quote:

+1

when i first got my hd 650 (they where my first headphone)  i had them straight out of an x-fi card as well, and then i bought an amp for them (entry level pro-ject headphone amp), the different was night and day, like very obvious and immediately noticeable. then i added a DAC and the difference was even more obvious.  and when i upgraded to my WA6-SE,  it was another huge improvement as well.

+1

Don't even need something that amp dependent as a HD650. Even buying a Xduoo XD-02 dac/amp made the sound of the 'easily driven' HD558 (and ms1i) much more lively and better imaged.
Meanwhile back in the shop.... i tried the Govibe Peak amp which costed like just $15 less but it made 0.1% difference to the sound vs unamped. It really depends on the individual amp unit, and not just the price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back